A MEETING to discuss whether or not Caerphilly council will re-open Cwmcarn High School will take place next month.
A special council meeting will take place at Penallta House council offices in Ystrad Mynach at 5pm on April 17 to consider how best to manage asbestos at the site.
The school buildings were closed in October last year after a survey by Santia Asbestos Management detected levels of airborne asbestos.
Further surveys have been undertaken, resulting in the latest management report commissioned by the school by asbestos specialists Ensafe.
It recommends asbestos removal and remediation works totalling almost £1 million, and says pupils could be taught in demountable buildings while work is carried out. This is the preferred option for the school and governing body.
A range of options are currently being put together for councillors to consider at the meeting before agreeing a way forward.
Cllr Rhiannon Passmore, CCBC cabinet member for education said: “I’m sure the school and the wider community will welcome the news that the date has been set for this important meeting.
“We fully recognise the strength of feeling in the community and all concerned want to agree a way forward as a matter of urgency. We have a duty to protect the health and wellbeing of pupils at the school and must ensure that all options are considered so councillors can make a fully informed choice about the future of the site.”