Support grows for Ebbw Vale race track
4:42pm Monday 2nd September 2013 in Gwent news
OVER 1,330 people have now joined a Facebook group, describing how vital it is that the proposed Circuit of Wales goes ahead.
Media stories have been dominated by organisations such as Natural Resources Wales and the Gwent Wildlife Trust, who have voiced concern along with TV personality Iolo Williams about the effect on the environment.
Last month the Welsh Government announced it would not call in the decision of Blaenau Gwent council to grant outline planning permission.
This led to members of the Brecon Beacons National Park Authority announcing that it would discus it at its meeting on September 10.
Despite the opposition, it is hoped the £250 million project at Rassau, near Ebbw Vale, will bring 12,000 jobs to the deprived area.
In a letter to the Argus, Kelvin Went said: “You very often print stories regarding the proposed racing circuit development in Blaenau Gwent and you also very often print remarks by those who are opposed to its development. However I note that you do not print anything from those who are for its development.
“We have been running for just over a month and already have over 1,300 supporters. Our aim is to let those who make the decisions know that there is a large core of supporters for this opportunity both those hoping for work and those who wish to see the sport in Blaenau Gwent. We are not anti-wildlife or conservation but people who understand the need for investment in Blaenau Gwent.”
The group now has 1,336 members who discuss the massive need for such an economic boost in the area.
While Sarah Adlam says it would be sad to see wildlife affected, she posted: “It is heartbreaking to see the demise of valleys towns and the people within them.”
Janelle Thomas said: “I’m fully aware of the impact on the environment, but please, the whole of Wales needs this.”
You can join the discussion on social networking site Facebook on the Support Blaenau Gwent Motorsport Development page.
The minister responsible for planning Carl Sargeant announced last week he has decided not to call in the planning application.
A letter from a civil servant to Blaenau Gwent council indicated the housing and regeneration minister has lifted the holding direction preventing outline planning permission for the scheme being granted.
That means that Blaenau Gwent council can issue permission once it has completed its legal agreement with the Heads of the Valleys Development Company on contributions to the community.
The move comes after Natural Resources Wales dropped its landscape and ecological objections, saying they could be mitgated and that a call-in wasn’t needed.
Comments are closed on this article.