Anger as 90-year-old Tredegar patient sent home in pyjamas and slippers

GERNERAL VIEW OF NEVILL HALL HOSPITAL IN ABERGAVENNY.PIC: MIKE URWIN. (3371061)

APOLOGY DEMANDED: Abergavenny’s Nevill Hall Hospital

First published in Gwent news

THE family of a 90-year-old Tredegar man demands an apology from health chiefs after he was sent home by ambulance four days after having a pacemaker fitted, wearing just thin cotton pyjamas and a pair of slippers.

They say the man, who does not wish to be named, had to walk from the ambulance to his front door in cold and windy conditions late on Monday afternoon.

His daughter Angela Jones, who lives in Swansea but was at his home when her father arrived, said it took all evening for him to get warm and recover.

She is concerned other frail and elderly patients might also be sent home in inadequate clothing.

“My father had been in (Abergavenny’s) Nevill Hall Hospital for two weeks and had a pacemaker fitted four days before he was discharged,” said Mrs Jones. “At 5.35pm the doorbell rang. I opened it to see an ambulance man and my father being helped off the back of the ambulance by his colleague.

“My father was in a pair of thin cotton pyjamas and slippers. The weather was cold and windy and he’d been in a warm hospital for two weeks. He had two bags with him containing wearable clothes and a dressing gown. But nobody had thought to get him to dress, or wear the dressing gown, or put in blanket around him. There are elderly, frail patients who come out of hospital every day. Are they being sent home like this, inadequately dressed? Where is the common sense?”

Aneurin Bevan University Health Board said a formal complaint has been made: “This is currently being looked into and we will be responding directly to the family as soon as our investigations are complete,” said a spokesman. The Welsh Ambulance Services NHS Trust did not respond.

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:06pm Sat 11 Jan 14

GardenVarietyMushroom says...

Yeah, shouldn't the headline read more like - patient sent home in pjamas and slippers - in a nice, warm ambulance, that took him right to his front door?
Yeah, shouldn't the headline read more like - patient sent home in pjamas and slippers - in a nice, warm ambulance, that took him right to his front door? GardenVarietyMushroom
  • Score: 10

5:52pm Sat 11 Jan 14

richie55 says...

A non story...I think it would have been better if members of the family went to the hospital to collect him rather than waiting at his home then they could have ensured he was dressed !
A non story...I think it would have been better if members of the family went to the hospital to collect him rather than waiting at his home then they could have ensured he was dressed ! richie55
  • Score: 16

7:43pm Sat 11 Jan 14

jimmysmith says...

a regular occurance this with neville hall .a friend of mine recently having underwent major stomach surgery was awoken at midnight. told his bed was being allocated to some one else .to get up pack his bags he was going home .only 3 days after surgery and opened right up and not able to walk .his wife suffers ms and the private hire car could only take him to brynmawr whilst he lived in nantyglo .he was lucky as others who turned up for another patient took him home . needless to say he suffered complications and was reamitted for further surgery. theres been other instances as well
a regular occurance this with neville hall .a friend of mine recently having underwent major stomach surgery was awoken at midnight. told his bed was being allocated to some one else .to get up pack his bags he was going home .only 3 days after surgery and opened right up and not able to walk .his wife suffers ms and the private hire car could only take him to brynmawr whilst he lived in nantyglo .he was lucky as others who turned up for another patient took him home . needless to say he suffered complications and was reamitted for further surgery. theres been other instances as well jimmysmith
  • Score: 0

8:28am Sun 12 Jan 14

Dai Rear says...

The NHS is a sacred cow. Are you prepared to pension her off and import more effective systems from western Europe and the US? Judging by the complete absence of an angry outcry when Brown made his most ludicrous ever speech 10 years or so ago saying that "I've looked at all other systems in the world. They're rubbish. NHS is awesome" to paraphrase, the answer is "no".
The NHS is a sacred cow. Are you prepared to pension her off and import more effective systems from western Europe and the US? Judging by the complete absence of an angry outcry when Brown made his most ludicrous ever speech 10 years or so ago saying that "I've looked at all other systems in the world. They're rubbish. NHS is awesome" to paraphrase, the answer is "no". Dai Rear
  • Score: 0

11:08am Sun 12 Jan 14

Magor says...

Dai Rear wrote:
The NHS is a sacred cow. Are you prepared to pension her off and import more effective systems from western Europe and the US? Judging by the complete absence of an angry outcry when Brown made his most ludicrous ever speech 10 years or so ago saying that "I've looked at all other systems in the world. They're rubbish. NHS is awesome" to paraphrase, the answer is "no".
The NHS is like anything else run by politicians, expensive and not good enough.
[quote][p][bold]Dai Rear[/bold] wrote: The NHS is a sacred cow. Are you prepared to pension her off and import more effective systems from western Europe and the US? Judging by the complete absence of an angry outcry when Brown made his most ludicrous ever speech 10 years or so ago saying that "I've looked at all other systems in the world. They're rubbish. NHS is awesome" to paraphrase, the answer is "no".[/p][/quote]The NHS is like anything else run by politicians, expensive and not good enough. Magor
  • Score: 1

2:59pm Sun 12 Jan 14

jimmysmith says...

Magor wrote:
Dai Rear wrote:
The NHS is a sacred cow. Are you prepared to pension her off and import more effective systems from western Europe and the US? Judging by the complete absence of an angry outcry when Brown made his most ludicrous ever speech 10 years or so ago saying that "I've looked at all other systems in the world. They're rubbish. NHS is awesome" to paraphrase, the answer is "no".
The NHS is like anything else run by politicians, expensive and not good enough.
thats because its purposely being run down by this government thus with the intention of privatising it at the expense of the health of the working class .the very working classs that helped to develop it
[quote][p][bold]Magor[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dai Rear[/bold] wrote: The NHS is a sacred cow. Are you prepared to pension her off and import more effective systems from western Europe and the US? Judging by the complete absence of an angry outcry when Brown made his most ludicrous ever speech 10 years or so ago saying that "I've looked at all other systems in the world. They're rubbish. NHS is awesome" to paraphrase, the answer is "no".[/p][/quote]The NHS is like anything else run by politicians, expensive and not good enough.[/p][/quote]thats because its purposely being run down by this government thus with the intention of privatising it at the expense of the health of the working class .the very working classs that helped to develop it jimmysmith
  • Score: 0

4:48pm Sun 12 Jan 14

Magor says...

jimmysmith wrote:
Magor wrote:
Dai Rear wrote:
The NHS is a sacred cow. Are you prepared to pension her off and import more effective systems from western Europe and the US? Judging by the complete absence of an angry outcry when Brown made his most ludicrous ever speech 10 years or so ago saying that "I've looked at all other systems in the world. They're rubbish. NHS is awesome" to paraphrase, the answer is "no".
The NHS is like anything else run by politicians, expensive and not good enough.
thats because its purposely being run down by this government thus with the intention of privatising it at the expense of the health of the working class .the very working classs that helped to develop it
WAG is throwing money at it but it gets worse they cant even run the ambulance service.Despite cuts it is performing far better in England.
[quote][p][bold]jimmysmith[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Magor[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dai Rear[/bold] wrote: The NHS is a sacred cow. Are you prepared to pension her off and import more effective systems from western Europe and the US? Judging by the complete absence of an angry outcry when Brown made his most ludicrous ever speech 10 years or so ago saying that "I've looked at all other systems in the world. They're rubbish. NHS is awesome" to paraphrase, the answer is "no".[/p][/quote]The NHS is like anything else run by politicians, expensive and not good enough.[/p][/quote]thats because its purposely being run down by this government thus with the intention of privatising it at the expense of the health of the working class .the very working classs that helped to develop it[/p][/quote]WAG is throwing money at it but it gets worse they cant even run the ambulance service.Despite cuts it is performing far better in England. Magor
  • Score: 0

7:08pm Sun 12 Jan 14

Paul F. McCourt says...

I live Down Under, and I recently signed up to receive The Argus by e-Mail, and I'm not even Welsh!! Never been near the place!
Anyway, I just cannot believe how bloody STUPID these people are for treating an old man like that? Are they just plain THICK, or what? It seems that these clowns must've got their brains from the Weet Bix, and whoever was responsible for this man's discharge from the local hossie, must've been eating the same Brekkie.
It goes without saying that ANYONE, whoever and whatever Species and age they are, they deserve the VERY BEST TREATMENT and CARE!! That is what they would expect for themselves, but they certainly don't actually provide it for others. This is just disgusting!! They should be ashamed of themselves.
Something should be done about that, and the sooner the better.
To other patients at this Hospital and others, reading this, I Wish you Well, and that You get better treatment. REAL TREATMENT and CARE!!
Be Happy, Healthy and SAFE in the New Year and Always!
Kia Ora!
I live Down Under, and I recently signed up to receive The Argus by e-Mail, and I'm not even Welsh!! Never been near the place! Anyway, I just cannot believe how bloody STUPID these people are for treating an old man like that? Are they just plain THICK, or what? It seems that these clowns must've got their brains from the Weet Bix, and whoever was responsible for this man's discharge from the local hossie, must've been eating the same Brekkie. It goes without saying that ANYONE, whoever and whatever Species and age they are, they deserve the VERY BEST TREATMENT and CARE!! That is what they would expect for themselves, but they certainly don't actually provide it for others. This is just disgusting!! They should be ashamed of themselves. Something should be done about that, and the sooner the better. To other patients at this Hospital and others, reading this, I Wish you Well, and that You get better treatment. REAL TREATMENT and CARE!! Be Happy, Healthy and SAFE in the New Year and Always! Kia Ora! Paul F. McCourt
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree