TWO teenagers admitted carrying out a “heinous” unprovoked, drink and drug-fuelled attack on a Newport dad which caused him to lose an eye.
Jay Connor Lloyd, 18, of Cedar Wood Drive, Rogerstone, pleaded guilty to wounding or inflicting grievous bodily harm without intent at Newport Magistrates’ Court.
A second boy, 15, who cannot be named, pleaded guilty to one count of common assault at Cwmbran Youth Court.
Christopher Collins, 54, had to undergo surgery to have his eye removed and metal plates fitted in his face after the attack on Stow Hill in the early hours of New Year’s Day.
The court heard that Mr Collins had been at Baneswell Social Club with his wife and other family members. When their taxi arrived, it was not big enough so Mr Collins decided to walk home. He told police as he walked up Stow Hill he could see a group of five males standing outside the shop near the cathedral.
As he walked past, the 15-year-old said to him: “Oi, you bumped into me.” Mr Collins apologised and carried on walking, when he heard someone running up behind him. The boy again said: “You bumped into me, you can’t just walk away” and pushed him to the floor.
He told police he got up and started walking away again, but suddenly felt a “tremendous pain” on the right side of his face.
The court heard that Lloyd had run up behind him and punched him hard in the side of the face.
A passing car stopped and Mr Collins was taken to the Royal Gwent Hospital.
On January 7 he had an operation to insert metal plates into his face. A few days later his eye was removed and replaced with a prosthetic one.
The court heard Lloyd had consumed 15 cans of Stella, vodka, lager and cocaine beforehand while the 15-year-old had drunk seven bottles of lager, taken cocaine and had a few spliffs. After the attack they left Mr Collins and went to a party in Pill.
Lloyd told police he had seen Mr Collins grappling with his friend, which was why he punched him. He told them he did not think about Mr Collins after the attack because he “did not think he was seriously hurt”.
He said it was when a friend showed him a Facebook post about the attack that he realised the seriousness of what he had done. On January 8 he went to a police station and handed himself in.
Andrew Costley, defending, said Lloyd was “extremely remorseful” and wanted to “be a man and accept what he has done”.
District judge Martin Brown said: “Words fail me. I do not have the power to sentence you for this heinous act. This man was alone, he was not looking for trouble. I do not doubt for one moment you realised you had caused this sort of injury. But you are a violent young man.”
He committed the case to Newport Crown Court for sentencing on February 21. Lloyd is subject to conditional bail, including a curfew.
The 15-year-old was given a six-month referral order. He told the court: “I’m sorry about what happened. If I could put it back and change what happened I would.”
He will have to sign a contract and attend activities as part of his referral order. The bench also imposed a £100 fine and £15 surcharge.