A “CONTROLLING” husband shot his wife in the back, killing her before turning the gun on himself on a Newport street last year,a court heard yesterday.

Christopher Parry, 50, denies murdering Caroline Parry, on August 8 last year.

But Parry has pleaded guilty to manslaughter, that on August 8, 2013, he unlawfully killed Mrs Parry.

Opening the case for the prosecution on the first day of the trial at Newport Crown court yesterday, Michael Mather-Lees QC, said: “The defendant was a controlling, possibly dominant individual that could not tolerate the fact his wife had left him after years of unhappiness.

“Having shot her, he then turned the gun on himself, undoubtedly trying to kill himself and trying to avoid the consequences of his actions.”

The court heard Mr and Mrs Parry had been married for some 27 years and lived with their two children in Croesyceiliog, before Mrs Parry left the family home in March 2013.

Mr Mather-Lees said: “The defendant watched her and effectively kept her under surveillance. This was a man not prepared to let go.”

The jury heard the defendant worked as a driver at the Celtic Manor.

Mr Mather-Lees said the incident was a “carefully planned activity” and said the defendant held three shotgun licences.

He said: “On the morning in question, the defendant loaded the semi-automatic with three cartridges, two of which were AAA. In other words, he chose the heaviest shot he could.”

The prosecution said Parry had booked time off work on the day prior to the incident and on the day itself and said in the month leading up to the incident, he watched Mrs Parry, followed her, phoned her, and he texted her repeatedly.

Mr Mather-Lees said: “Mrs Parry left for work just after 8.30am. As she was driving her red Toyota, she encountered the defendant on Seabreeze Avenue – she stopped the car to speak to her husband. This was not a pre-arranged meeting.

“For some reason, Mrs Parry had been caused to open the boot of her car. The defendant went into the boot of his car and shot her twice in the back.”

The court then heard how Parry turned the gun on himself, putting the shotgun under his jaw, causing “substantial but survivable injuries.”

During police interview, the defendant said he had limited recollection. Parry claimed he was “upset, depressed, and worked up” and had intended to kill himself in front of his estranged wife.

But Mr Mather-lees said: “But why the three cartridges? He was planning to kill, and kill he did.”

The prosecution said Parry was at the scene of the crime two days prior to the incident, and this was shown in court through CCTV footage provided by the prosecution’s first witness, DC Ian Thomas of Gwent Police.

DC Thomas took the jury through CCTV footage from August 6 and August 8 of last year. Footage showed a car, alleged to be Parry’s, driving to the victim’s home address in Liberty Grove, a dead end, twice on the morning of August 8. Shortly after, the footage showed another vehicle leaving Liberty Grove, believed to be that of Mrs Parry’s.