Newport man, Jonathan Swift, who the judge said was 'without sexual restraint' gets 10 years' jail for sex with 13-year-old girl

South Wales Argus: Newport man Jonathan Swift was jailed for 10 years today at Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court (above) for having sex with a 13-year-old girl Newport man Jonathan Swift was jailed for 10 years today at Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court (above) for having sex with a 13-year-old girl

A NEWPORT sex offender with "no concept of sexual restraint" was sentenced to 10 years behind bars for having sex with a child under the age of 16 and breaching a sexual offences prevention order.

Jonathan Swift, 25, of Canon Street, Newport, was previously found guilty at Cardiff Crown Court of engaging in sexual activity with a 13-year-old girl in the Malpas area of the city on Saturday, March 1 but not guilty of rape.

Judge Tom Crowther QC said today at Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court that Swift had "damaged" the girl due to his lack of sexual restraint.

He sentenced Swift to 10 years imprisonment, an extended sentence for the harm he had caused.

The father-of-two will not be eligible for parole until he has served four years and eight months.

Judge Crowther QC told the court that Swift had been "loitering looking for women, young women" when he met his 13-year-old victim on a bus.

He said "the balance of power" was in Swift's favour and he should have had nothing to do with her.

Judge Crowther QC added: "Following it [the sexual activity], she was very much upset and since then has tried to take an overdose and cut her wrists. This is a child who has been damaged by what you did."

Swift was also found guilty of breaching a sexual prevention order given to him in May 2010 after admitting a sexual assault on a 16-year-old girl. He was banned from approaching, speaking to, or being with any child who were not family members, for 10 years.

The jury in Swift's trial previously heard from another girl Swift had chatted to on a bus who claimed he subsequently sexually assaulted her after getting off at her stop.

Judge Crowther QC added: "It's plain to me that you have no concept of sexual restraint and you are prepared to use force to those who do not consent."

He was given a new sexual offences prevention order banning him from having any unsupervised contact with any child under 16 or living in the same household as a child under the age of 16 without approval, indefinitely.

Comments (21)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:45pm Tue 8 Jul 14

myopinion1988 says...

I hate this story and I hate the verdict!
Judge Crowther QC added: "It's plain to me that you have no concept of sexual restraint and you are prepared to use force to those who do not consent."

Judge Crowther QC added: "Following it , she was very much upset and since then has tried to take an overdose and cut her wrists. This is a child who has been damaged by what you did."

why was there a not guilty verdict then?
I hate this story and I hate the verdict! Judge Crowther QC added: "It's plain to me that you have no concept of sexual restraint and you are prepared to use force to those who do not consent." Judge Crowther QC added: "Following it [the sexual activity], she was very much upset and since then has tried to take an overdose and cut her wrists. This is a child who has been damaged by what you did." why was there a not guilty verdict then? myopinion1988
  • Score: 53

2:20pm Tue 8 Jul 14

pbhj says...

It seems that there were 2 offences that the accused was found guilty of, sexual activity with a minor and breach of a sexual offences order. But there has only been one sentence.

The later offence appears to have been based on a lenient treatment in respect of a previous offence. It sounds like a jail term - and treatment - should have been given earlier.
It seems that there were 2 offences that the accused was found guilty of, sexual activity with a minor and breach of a sexual offences order. But there has only been one sentence. The later offence appears to have been based on a lenient treatment in respect of a previous offence. It sounds like a jail term - and treatment - should have been given earlier. pbhj
  • Score: 34

2:35pm Tue 8 Jul 14

regaturn says...

This piece of rubbish should have received a suspended sentence.....on the end of a rope
This piece of rubbish should have received a suspended sentence.....on the end of a rope regaturn
  • Score: 70

3:13pm Tue 8 Jul 14

Dm1982 says...

You hate the story and the verdict??? This waste of space swift is a repeat offender who's disgusting crimes had been getting worse.10 years is not long enough. He prays on young girls he knows exactly what he's doing. Feel sorry for his children that they have a father that's a peadofile
You hate the story and the verdict??? This waste of space swift is a repeat offender who's disgusting crimes had been getting worse.10 years is not long enough. He prays on young girls he knows exactly what he's doing. Feel sorry for his children that they have a father that's a peadofile Dm1982
  • Score: 51

3:20pm Tue 8 Jul 14

Dm1982 says...

Myopinion1988 you need to take a reality check. This piece of crap should rot for all the things he's done. Not just this offence but all the others he's done
Myopinion1988 you need to take a reality check. This piece of crap should rot for all the things he's done. Not just this offence but all the others he's done Dm1982
  • Score: 53

3:22pm Tue 8 Jul 14

Explainitplease says...

I was under the impression that the age of consent was in place to show that under that age couldn't give consent - therefore how could it not be rape? She couldn't consent because she's under the age of consent.

As is being repeated all over the internet, short sentences for sexual assault/rape cases is part of the way the ruling classes are trying to normalise perverse sexual behaviour and child abuse.
Google Elm Guest House and weep at what we have become.
I was under the impression that the age of consent was in place to show that under that age couldn't give consent - therefore how could it not be rape? She couldn't consent because she's under the age of consent. As is being repeated all over the internet, short sentences for sexual assault/rape cases is part of the way the ruling classes are trying to normalise perverse sexual behaviour and child abuse. Google Elm Guest House and weep at what we have become. Explainitplease
  • Score: 11

3:31pm Tue 8 Jul 14

CeeJayAch86 says...

I've read "myopinion1988" not as condoning this sick **** but as saying with all the things the quoted, why wasn't he found guilty of all charges? I may be wrong but that's how I read it...?
Swift should've got longer. I feel so bad for his kids who'll have to know what their father is... A monster.
I've read "myopinion1988" not as condoning this sick **** but as saying with all the things the quoted, why wasn't he found guilty of all charges? I may be wrong but that's how I read it...? Swift should've got longer. I feel so bad for his kids who'll have to know what their father is... A monster. CeeJayAch86
  • Score: 44

4:21pm Tue 8 Jul 14

welshmen says...

Six foot rope tie with a ten foot drop, end of....
Six foot rope tie with a ten foot drop, end of.... welshmen
  • Score: 57

4:39pm Tue 8 Jul 14

Dai Rear says...

Explainitplease wrote:
I was under the impression that the age of consent was in place to show that under that age couldn't give consent - therefore how could it not be rape? She couldn't consent because she's under the age of consent.

As is being repeated all over the internet, short sentences for sexual assault/rape cases is part of the way the ruling classes are trying to normalise perverse sexual behaviour and child abuse.
Google Elm Guest House and weep at what we have become.
I'm sure this is a silly question but not belonging to the "ruling classes" I'm intrigued to know why, you think, they are rooting for Mr Swift. You may know him; is he in fact" Lord Snooty Swift" and Cannon Street the Millionaire's Row of Newport?
[quote][p][bold]Explainitplease[/bold] wrote: I was under the impression that the age of consent was in place to show that under that age couldn't give consent - therefore how could it not be rape? She couldn't consent because she's under the age of consent. As is being repeated all over the internet, short sentences for sexual assault/rape cases is part of the way the ruling classes are trying to normalise perverse sexual behaviour and child abuse. Google Elm Guest House and weep at what we have become.[/p][/quote]I'm sure this is a silly question but not belonging to the "ruling classes" I'm intrigued to know why, you think, they are rooting for Mr Swift. You may know him; is he in fact" Lord Snooty Swift" and Cannon Street the Millionaire's Row of Newport? Dai Rear
  • Score: -2

5:00pm Tue 8 Jul 14

anonymous1345 says...

I think everyone needs to take time out and think about this!! I was one of the girls this waste of space did this too! He destroyed everything good I had at the time in myself! It took years for me to get myself together after it! I had to go to court after it what he did to me and he got away with it somehow, then i had to appear in court again 2weeks ago for this case! It took 8years for this man to get what he had coming to him but finally he's been put away and can't do it to anyone else! Hope he rots to be honest!
I think everyone needs to take time out and think about this!! I was one of the girls this waste of space did this too! He destroyed everything good I had at the time in myself! It took years for me to get myself together after it! I had to go to court after it what he did to me and he got away with it somehow, then i had to appear in court again 2weeks ago for this case! It took 8years for this man to get what he had coming to him but finally he's been put away and can't do it to anyone else! Hope he rots to be honest! anonymous1345
  • Score: 74

5:04pm Tue 8 Jul 14

myopinion1988 says...

Dm1982 wrote:
You hate the story and the verdict??? This waste of space swift is a repeat offender who's disgusting crimes had been getting worse.10 years is not long enough. He prays on young girls he knows exactly what he's doing. Feel sorry for his children that they have a father that's a peadofile
I hate the fact he wasn't found guilty! And hated reading what that girl has been through, not guilty verdict is an insult! My post came across completely wrong
[quote][p][bold]Dm1982[/bold] wrote: You hate the story and the verdict??? This waste of space swift is a repeat offender who's disgusting crimes had been getting worse.10 years is not long enough. He prays on young girls he knows exactly what he's doing. Feel sorry for his children that they have a father that's a peadofile[/p][/quote]I hate the fact he wasn't found guilty! And hated reading what that girl has been through, not guilty verdict is an insult! My post came across completely wrong myopinion1988
  • Score: 17

5:05pm Tue 8 Jul 14

myopinion1988 says...

CeeJayAch86 wrote:
I've read "myopinion1988" not as condoning this sick **** but as saying with all the things the quoted, why wasn't he found guilty of all charges? I may be wrong but that's how I read it...?
Swift should've got longer. I feel so bad for his kids who'll have to know what their father is... A monster.
Yes you read it right! I can sort of see how I came across though!! My bad
[quote][p][bold]CeeJayAch86[/bold] wrote: I've read "myopinion1988" not as condoning this sick **** but as saying with all the things the quoted, why wasn't he found guilty of all charges? I may be wrong but that's how I read it...? Swift should've got longer. I feel so bad for his kids who'll have to know what their father is... A monster.[/p][/quote]Yes you read it right! I can sort of see how I came across though!! My bad myopinion1988
  • Score: 6

5:06pm Tue 8 Jul 14

myopinion1988 says...

Dm1982 wrote:
Myopinion1988 you need to take a reality check. This piece of crap should rot for all the things he's done. Not just this offence but all the others he's done
I completely agree with u, my post came across wrong I meant I hate the verdict that he wasn't found guilty of rape
[quote][p][bold]Dm1982[/bold] wrote: Myopinion1988 you need to take a reality check. This piece of crap should rot for all the things he's done. Not just this offence but all the others he's done[/p][/quote]I completely agree with u, my post came across wrong I meant I hate the verdict that he wasn't found guilty of rape myopinion1988
  • Score: 8

6:47pm Tue 8 Jul 14

Cwmbranreader says...

He deserves nothing more than to be castrated and locked up for the rest of his life.
He deserves nothing more than to be castrated and locked up for the rest of his life. Cwmbranreader
  • Score: 54

7:17pm Tue 8 Jul 14

MyOpinion26 says...

I was unfortunate enough to know this lil slime ball when I was still in school! From the age of 16 this waste of space has preyed on young woman, forced them into stuff, and I even took a beating from him when he couldn't get his own way!! He's absolute scum who is a danger to all girls!! It's no wonder the mother of his first child (baby girl) stopped him from seeing her!! The fact this young girl was underage and he's already been arrested on FOUR occasion for similar offences, a not guilty verdict was pathetic!! I hope the stuff he's done to all those girls, happens to him in prison!! And worse!!!
I was unfortunate enough to know this lil slime ball when I was still in school! From the age of 16 this waste of space has preyed on young woman, forced them into stuff, and I even took a beating from him when he couldn't get his own way!! He's absolute scum who is a danger to all girls!! It's no wonder the mother of his first child (baby girl) stopped him from seeing her!! The fact this young girl was underage and he's already been arrested on FOUR occasion for similar offences, a not guilty verdict was pathetic!! I hope the stuff he's done to all those girls, happens to him in prison!! And worse!!! MyOpinion26
  • Score: 66

10:36pm Tue 8 Jul 14

jimmysmith says...

to short a sentence tom . you should have lifed this garbage away with a recommendation he serve 12 yrs .hes going to be back in circulation in 5yrs and could well go onto kill next time .hes out and about hunting for victims and this particular type of his behaviour that should have led to a life sentence plus the fact that next time hes caught ( and he will reoffend ) he knows hes being lifed without parole so hes nothing to lose by killing his victim to stop them identifying him
to short a sentence tom . you should have lifed this garbage away with a recommendation he serve 12 yrs .hes going to be back in circulation in 5yrs and could well go onto kill next time .hes out and about hunting for victims and this particular type of his behaviour that should have led to a life sentence plus the fact that next time hes caught ( and he will reoffend ) he knows hes being lifed without parole so hes nothing to lose by killing his victim to stop them identifying him jimmysmith
  • Score: 46

6:33am Wed 9 Jul 14

Katie Re-Registered says...

Heterosexual males have an over-proportionate amount of power in this world and it is clearly evident that many of them abuse the power that they have. We see here yet another example.
Heterosexual males have an over-proportionate amount of power in this world and it is clearly evident that many of them abuse the power that they have. We see here yet another example. Katie Re-Registered
  • Score: -9

6:40am Wed 9 Jul 14

Dai Rear says...

Sweeping generalisations have an over-proportionate amount of power in this world and it is clearly evident that many of them abuse the power that they have. We see here yet another example
Sweeping generalisations have an over-proportionate amount of power in this world and it is clearly evident that many of them abuse the power that they have. We see here yet another example Dai Rear
  • Score: 4

11:21am Wed 9 Jul 14

Explainitplease says...

Dai Rear wrote:
Explainitplease wrote:
I was under the impression that the age of consent was in place to show that under that age couldn't give consent - therefore how could it not be rape? She couldn't consent because she's under the age of consent.

As is being repeated all over the internet, short sentences for sexual assault/rape cases is part of the way the ruling classes are trying to normalise perverse sexual behaviour and child abuse.
Google Elm Guest House and weep at what we have become.
I'm sure this is a silly question but not belonging to the "ruling classes" I'm intrigued to know why, you think, they are rooting for Mr Swift. You may know him; is he in fact" Lord Snooty Swift" and Cannon Street the Millionaire's Row of Newport?
Err no, I said the ruling classes are trying to normalise this type of behaviour by passing shorter sentences.
Not that Swift was part of the ruling classes.
[quote][p][bold]Dai Rear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Explainitplease[/bold] wrote: I was under the impression that the age of consent was in place to show that under that age couldn't give consent - therefore how could it not be rape? She couldn't consent because she's under the age of consent. As is being repeated all over the internet, short sentences for sexual assault/rape cases is part of the way the ruling classes are trying to normalise perverse sexual behaviour and child abuse. Google Elm Guest House and weep at what we have become.[/p][/quote]I'm sure this is a silly question but not belonging to the "ruling classes" I'm intrigued to know why, you think, they are rooting for Mr Swift. You may know him; is he in fact" Lord Snooty Swift" and Cannon Street the Millionaire's Row of Newport?[/p][/quote]Err no, I said the ruling classes are trying to normalise this type of behaviour by passing shorter sentences. Not that Swift was part of the ruling classes. Explainitplease
  • Score: 0

2:02pm Wed 9 Jul 14

Dai Rear says...

Explainitplease wrote:
Dai Rear wrote:
Explainitplease wrote:
I was under the impression that the age of consent was in place to show that under that age couldn't give consent - therefore how could it not be rape? She couldn't consent because she's under the age of consent.

As is being repeated all over the internet, short sentences for sexual assault/rape cases is part of the way the ruling classes are trying to normalise perverse sexual behaviour and child abuse.
Google Elm Guest House and weep at what we have become.
I'm sure this is a silly question but not belonging to the "ruling classes" I'm intrigued to know why, you think, they are rooting for Mr Swift. You may know him; is he in fact" Lord Snooty Swift" and Cannon Street the Millionaire's Row of Newport?
Err no, I said the ruling classes are trying to normalise this type of behaviour by passing shorter sentences.
Not that Swift was part of the ruling classes.
Well, unless you say that the Sentencing Guidelines for this type of offence published in December 2013 were the work of a rebellious group outside the remit of government (which is what I suppose you call "the ruling classes") then your comment is, with respect, exceptionally stupid, even by the standards of these columns.
[quote][p][bold]Explainitplease[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dai Rear[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Explainitplease[/bold] wrote: I was under the impression that the age of consent was in place to show that under that age couldn't give consent - therefore how could it not be rape? She couldn't consent because she's under the age of consent. As is being repeated all over the internet, short sentences for sexual assault/rape cases is part of the way the ruling classes are trying to normalise perverse sexual behaviour and child abuse. Google Elm Guest House and weep at what we have become.[/p][/quote]I'm sure this is a silly question but not belonging to the "ruling classes" I'm intrigued to know why, you think, they are rooting for Mr Swift. You may know him; is he in fact" Lord Snooty Swift" and Cannon Street the Millionaire's Row of Newport?[/p][/quote]Err no, I said the ruling classes are trying to normalise this type of behaviour by passing shorter sentences. Not that Swift was part of the ruling classes.[/p][/quote]Well, unless you say that the Sentencing Guidelines for this type of offence published in December 2013 were the work of a rebellious group outside the remit of government (which is what I suppose you call "the ruling classes") then your comment is, with respect, exceptionally stupid, even by the standards of these columns. Dai Rear
  • Score: 0

2:14pm Wed 9 Jul 14

jimmysmith says...

Katie Re-Registered wrote:
Heterosexual males have an over-proportionate amount of power in this world and it is clearly evident that many of them abuse the power that they have. We see here yet another example.
hhmmm. so all heterosexual males have an over proportionate amount of power and we see another example of it here hmmm .obviously a tune
[quote][p][bold]Katie Re-Registered[/bold] wrote: Heterosexual males have an over-proportionate amount of power in this world and it is clearly evident that many of them abuse the power that they have. We see here yet another example.[/p][/quote]hhmmm. so all heterosexual males have an over proportionate amount of power and we see another example of it here hmmm .obviously a tune jimmysmith
  • Score: 1
Post a comment

Remember you are personally responsible for what you post on this site and must abide by our site terms. Do not post anything that is false, abusive or malicious. If you wish to complain, please use the ‘report this post’ link.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree