A MAN who “could not let go” after his wife left him, has been found guilty of murder after he shot her in a Newport street last summer.

On August 8, 2013, Christopher Parry, now 50, shot his estranged wife Caroline Parry, 49, in the back twice, killing her, before turning the gun on himself.

Parry admitted manslaughter, but denied murder, claiming he drove to Seabreeze Avenue, intending only to kill himself in front of Mrs Parry.

He told detectives: “I would shoot myself so she would remember how much I loved her.”

Parry drove to her new home in Liberty Grove, where she lived with her new partner, on August 8 and then left to park in Seabreeze Avenue.

There, Parry waited until his wife drove out of Liberty Grove on her way to work. Seeing Parry, she stopped her car and got out. He went to the boot of his car, retrieved his semi-automatic shotgun and shot her twice in the back at close range.

He then turned the gun on himself in a botched suicide attempt, leaving him with serious facial injuries.

Just after 2pm yesterday, the jury at Newport Crown Court returned a 10-1 majority verdict, after deliberating since Friday afternoon.

Parry was absent from the dock, with Judge Wynn Williams’ permission, but as the verdict was given, friends of Mrs Parry wept and cheered from the public gallery and one cried “justice”.

Roger Thomas QC, defending, had told the jury during the trial that Parry is and was suffering from severe depression which “substantially impaired his responsibility for his act”.

The court heard Parry had a history of mental illness and depression dating back more than ten years.

The couple were married for 27 years and had two children, but Mrs Parry left the family home in April 2013.

Michael Mather-Lees QC, prosecuting, told the jury Parry, who had three shotgun licenses, was a “controlling dominant individual who could not tolerate the fact his wife had left him”.

He said: “He effectively kept her under surveillance. This was a man who could not let go.”

Zhahida Ahmed, a childhood friend of Caroline Parry, told the court Parry was “possessive” and would only allow Caroline to go out in the evening once a month. She said her friend “wanted freedom” and was “fed up of being harassed”.

The jury heard how in the month prior to her death, Parry had watched her and booked time off from his job as a driver at Celtic Manor.

Senior investigating officer, Detective Superintendent Bill Davies, said: “This is a tragic case that resulted in the death of Caroline, the loss of a mother, daughter, sister and friend to many. Our condolences remain with those who have suffered her loss.

“When relationships break down and partners separate, it can often raise the potential for violence. This is widely recognised as a time of risk by services who deal with domestic abuse.

“I would implore anyone who has any concerns about such a situation to take that step and contact one of the readily available services that will help.

Supt Davies added: “I would also like to acknowledge the efforts of the investigating team, and in particular DC Ian Thomas, for their professionalism and commitment that ensured the highest quality of evidence.”

Parry will be sentenced at a later date.