PILL residents are demanding answers as to why Pill Park was chosen to house the NATO peace camp without consulting them.
A public meeting has been called following a decision to allow a peace camp on playing fields next to Pillgwenlly Millennium Centre while the Nato summit takes place.
Courtybella Terrace resident, Sally Wallis, said that she would be attending the public meeting at Pill Millennium Centre, 8pm, tomorrow night to get answers.
She said: “Residents feel that they have been left completely in the dark and were not consulted on the issue before a decision was made.
“We don’t know how many people are expected to turn up, it will be noisy for residents, nobody knows where they will park their cars and people are scared that it will attract some trouble makers.”
Dates for the camp are yet to be finalised but it is understood that it will operate from August 27 to the weekend following the summit.
Mrs Wallis said that the field is well used by children using it to play, people walking their dogs, and by sports teams, who will be unable to use it while the protestors are there.
“There are other more suitable areas that are not in the middle of a residential estate. It is their right to protest but it is our right to say we do not want it here,” she added.
Also attending the meeting is Pill Harriers RFC chairman Brian Cromwell who said that he was only made aware of the arrangement on Friday.
He said: “This could affect our club in a big way so we should have been consulted so I want to know why we weren’t before a decision was made.
“We train almost every night, which we pay the council for, so we will have to find an alternative site while the protestors are there, but we have a game on September 6 and we will need the pitch up to standard.”
Speaking previously a spokeswoman for Newport City Council said they have met Pillgwenlly community leaders to discuss the plans.
She added as no alternative sites were offered, partner agencies are attempting to work with the protestors to minimise the potential impact as much as possible.
Discussions regarding funding for services provided for the camp are continuing as are talks with the protestors.
Conservative Parliamentary Candidate for Newport West, Nick Webb, has written a letter to Newport Council leader Bob Bright, asking who was consulted before a decision was made, are there any requirements for the protestors to clean up when they leave and the estimated cost to Newport City Council in funding for the camp.