Garndiffaith sheltered scheme residents reassured
6:20pm Thursday 12th April 2012 in Gwent news
SHELTERED housing residents who feared they would be forced out of their homes have been reassured their accommodation will be improved.
Sid Griffiths Court residents in Garndiffaith were concerned they would lose their homes after Bron Afon Community Housing announced in February that it was looking into alternative uses for some of its retirement schemes due to of a lack of demand.
This left residents worried for the future of their retirement home and many believed it was earmarked for demolition.
However, Bron Afon representatives visited them last week to discuss the board’s decision and calmed residents’ fears.
Kay Rudge, a resident at Sid Griffiths Court for 14 years, said: “The meeting went a lot better than expected.
“The age limit of the scheme has been dropped to 50 and over, but we are not too worried about that, we were more concerned about it being opened up to anyone, or disappearing altogether.
“We have been promised repairs will be made to ensure the scheme is brought up to Welsh Quality Housing Standards and our communal areas will also be done up.
“Residents are now more content and feel they have a better understanding of what’s going on.”
Cllr Gwyneira Clark was contacted by residents when the initial announcement was made.
She said: “I am delighted for the residents of Sid Griffiths Court. It has been a very traumatic time for them, left wondering what was going to happen to their homes.
“I’m very pleased that the board of Bron Afon made the decision in favour of their tenants and they can now look forward to the home improvements they so rightly deserve, and hopefully some normality back in their lives.”
The four schemes Bron Afon announced are due to be altered are Sid Griffiths Court in Garndiffaith; Ivor Gardens and Kennard Court in Blaenavon; and Tan Y Coed in Pontnewynydd.
Comments are closed on this article.