Report this comment
  • "I am almost certain that newport city council do not have the right to give permission for the demolition of newport speedway stadium, when Tim Stone aquired the land it was with the WDA on i think a 99 year lease for the purpose of speedway. maybe someone may be able to help legally or may know somebody in the legal profession who maybe able to help."
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Ex-rider urges Newport speedway track rescue

Ex-rider urges Newport speedway track rescue

GLORY DAYS: Phil Morris in action against Jordan Frampton, Klaus Jakobsen and James Holder

SCENE: The firedamaged speedway stadium in Newport

First published in Gwent news

A RETIRED speedway rider is urging fans to oppose the demolition of Wales’ only dedicated track in Newport.

Phil Morris, of Wyllie, was unsuccessful in his bid to buy the stadium after a deal with promoter Steve Mallet fell through in February.

Now site owners Sydney and London Properties want to demolish it – something the former Reading rider says would be a great loss to the city.

He said: “People used to come to Newport from all around the world.

“It does attract people from outside the area which is a good thing for Newport – it helps the economy with people coming in and spending money. I would say the fans need to keep behind it, the more public support we can get the more chance we have to challenge the planning application.

“If it’s shown that a lot of people care about it and are interested in keeping it then perhaps they will see we want to keep it in Newport.”

The joint manager of the senior British Speedway team, who retired two years ago due to a shoulder injury, said he is still interested in buying the now derelict site, and given the chance, would aim to better promote the sport in the city to boost fan numbers.

The father-of-one to Ruby, three, who also manages Birmingham Speedway team who compete in the Sky Sports Elite league, says he would look at using the stadiumfor other sports as well as speedway to increase revenue and secure the sport’s future in Wales.

He says this was key to its survival, as the track at Queensway Meadows is the only designated site for the sport in the country.

Newport’s British Premier League speedway club almost closed at the end of the 2011 speedway season because of dwindling crowds.

A deal with Trojan International deal would have saved it by bringing stock car racing to Newport, but the firm decided to pull out earlier this year.

Days after the venue closed it was targeted in an arson attack and the main stand was damaged.

● A man of 24 from Newport has been arrested on suspicion of arson and bailed until May 30.

Comments (5)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree