Cwmcarn Woman sues Newport council for fall at rock concert

CLAIM: Lindy Butcher, from Cwmcarn, slipped at Newport Leisure Centre, where she’d gone to see Whitesnake

NEWPORT CONCERT: Whitesnake

First published in Gwent news South Wales Argus: Photograph of the Author by

A WOMAN is suing a council after she was injured after slipping and falling in a puddle of vomit while at a Whitesnake gig in Newport, legal papers claim.

Lindy Butcher, 39, went to the gig with her friend Caroline Burns and was walking to the Loft Bar in Newport Leisure Centre when she said she slipped and her feet went from under her, causing her to fall and land on both knees.

She said she was helped up by a man at the gig, on December 7, 2011, who told her she had fallen in sick.

Ms Butcher, who was not drinking as she was driving them both home that night and had flat-soled Converse trainers on, said: “It was horrifying, you don’t expect to fall in someone’s vomit.”

Ms Butcher, landlady at the Cwmcarn Hotel,was cleaned up with disinfectant, she says. She missed the start of the concert as she had to go to the first aid room and spoke to the front desk to explain what had happened. She then sat down to let Miss Burns enjoy the concert. Ms Butcher’s tickets were refunded as a goodwill gesture.

A claim filed against Newport council said she suffered bruising and soreness to her knees as well as pain through her neck and shoulders and muscle spasms between her ribs.

A doctor referred her to physiotherapy but Ms Butcher said it is on hold while this case is pending.

Andrew Collingbourne, managing partner of HBJ&W and Victorious in Newport, said: “When Lindy presented the facts of this matter to me, I believed she had a worthwhile cause of action which we have pursued vigorously on her behalf and will continue to litigate thematter through to trial, if necessary, to secure compensation.”

A Newport council spokeswoman said: “As the case is ongoing it is inappropriate for the council to comment at this stage.”

But a letter from Newport council’s legal representatives said: “It would appear the presence of vomit was reported to staff by a member of the public. One of the bar staff tried to call for a cleaner. However, it was extremely busy in the bar and cafe areas and in the absence of any detail concerning the actual whereabouts of the vomit and with so many people in the bars, it was difficult to pinpoint immediately where the vomit was located.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree