Mum fears boy could be latest victim of Newport Centre pool outbreak
9:44am Friday 14th September 2012 in Gwent news
A NEWPORT mum is awaiting the result of a test to determine if her four-and-a-half-year-old son has been infected with the bug which triggered the closure of a city pool.
Cody Lewis has managed just two days at school since falling ill shortly before term began more than a week ago, and he remains too unwell to return.
An outbreak of cryptosporidiosis – which can cause watery diarrhoea, stomach pain, nausea or vomiting and fever – was declared by Public Health Wales on Tuesday after 14 cases in Gwent were confirmed, seven involving people who had used the pool.
The illness can last two weeks or more, and people who may have had such symptoms are advised to contact their GP.
The pool was closed last Thursday as a precaution, water samples subsequently confirming the presence of the cryptosporidium bug. It is being drained and deep cleaned.
Cody’s mum Gemma Davies said he had been very ill with sickness and diarrhoea and was admitted to the Royal Gwent Hospital, where gastro-enteritis was diagnosed.
But after she read about the outbreak in the Argus, she asked doctors to test him for the bug.
He had been to the pool with friends shortly before falling ill.
“I just want to know one way or the other, and I’m waiting for the result,” she said.
“It’s very worrying. He’s been discharged from hospital but he’s not eating or drinking and he’s lost weight.
“He’s a bit brighter now, but this can flare up again.”