Owners told they cannot call former Abergavenny pub ‘home’

APPEAL LOST: Jim Sharp outside the former pub, The Red Hart

APPEAL LOST: Jim Sharp outside the former pub, The Red Hart

First published in Gwent news South Wales Argus: Photograph of the Author by

THE owners of a former village pub have lost their appeal to be allowed to legally call the premises their home, despite closing the business ten years ago.

Jim and Jean Sharp, of the Red Hart at Llanvapley, near Abergavenny, were informed by the Planning Inspectorate that their appeal against Monmouthshire council’s decision to refuse granting a legal certificate to say that a change of use of the pub was lawful, was dismissed following a hearing in June.

When the pub ceased trading in 2002, locals formed the Red Hart Supporters Club and mounted a campaign to save it.

In 2004 the council refused the Sharps permission to change its use into a home, which has been lived in by four generations of the family.

In November last year, the council served an enforcement notice, ruling that areas of the bar cannot be used for residential use.

Residents claimed the ground floor was used as living space, but the family said the majority of the bar area, which had not been used as a bar for more than four years, was utilised for storage space because of limited living space upstairs.

In his decision, Mr Lloyd said the council’s decision to refuse a certificate of lawful use was ‘well-founded’.

He added that on the evidence available the change of use to a single dwelling house had not occurred and that the premises were not used as a single-dwelling house throughout the whole of the period of more than four years prior to December, 2011.

‘Building was not viable as pub’

MR SHARP, who has lived in the building since 1993, first applied to change it into a home in 2002 after the pub ceased trading. He argued the building was no longer viable as a pub. But drinkers refused to give up on the ‘hub’ of their community.

Monmouthshire council refused to grant permission to its change of use in 2004. A public inquiry was held that year, during which Mr Sharp claimed his family had been the victims of a ‘hate campaign’. The Assembly’s planning inspectorate dismissed Mr Sharp’s appeal against the council’s decision. The Red Hart Supporters Club, which attracted more than 600 backers, said it was overjoyed at the decision and dismissed Mr Sharp’s claims of a ‘hate campaign’.

Comments (4)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:36am Sat 20 Oct 12

Bobevans says...

This seems to be a typical daft stance that councils takes.THese pubs are no longer viable yet they seem toprefer old pub building to fall into disrepair and become deralict rather than let them be used as homes
This seems to be a typical daft stance that councils takes.THese pubs are no longer viable yet they seem toprefer old pub building to fall into disrepair and become deralict rather than let them be used as homes Bobevans
  • Score: 0

11:30am Sat 20 Oct 12

On the inside says...

Bobevans wrote:
This seems to be a typical daft stance that councils takes.THese pubs are no longer viable yet they seem toprefer old pub building to fall into disrepair and become deralict rather than let them be used as homes
You are wrong. These pubs are perfectly viable as community hubs if they are well run. Look at the pub in Grosmont.
[quote][p][bold]Bobevans[/bold] wrote: This seems to be a typical daft stance that councils takes.THese pubs are no longer viable yet they seem toprefer old pub building to fall into disrepair and become deralict rather than let them be used as homes[/p][/quote]You are wrong. These pubs are perfectly viable as community hubs if they are well run. Look at the pub in Grosmont. On the inside
  • Score: 0

3:35am Sun 21 Oct 12

Steffyboy says...

If the 600 people that put their name on the campaign to save the pub used it regularly im sure it would still be open and profitable . I feel sorry for the owners
If the 600 people that put their name on the campaign to save the pub used it regularly im sure it would still be open and profitable . I feel sorry for the owners Steffyboy
  • Score: 0

4:37pm Sun 21 Oct 12

allassio says...

This pub has been closed for FOUR YEARS!.
600 petitioners or not, if the owners say it's not viable, then leave them alone to live in the building as a home, and forget that it was a pub. This situation goes on all over the Country. The Council should be ashamed of themselves. As for 600 petitioners, put yourselves in Mr & Mrs Sharps' place - what would YOU do if you lived there and be slated for not running a business that wasn't working. No-one can live with a constant loss! Get a life and leave these people get on with theirs.
This pub has been closed for FOUR YEARS!. 600 petitioners or not, if the owners say it's not viable, then leave them alone to live in the building as a home, and forget that it was a pub. This situation goes on all over the Country. The Council should be ashamed of themselves. As for 600 petitioners, put yourselves in Mr & Mrs Sharps' place - what would YOU do if you lived there and be slated for not running a business that wasn't working. No-one can live with a constant loss! Get a life and leave these people get on with theirs. allassio
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree