Boys treated in shoddy manner

REFERRING to the article published last week regarding the autism unit at Brynglas.

It is clear that, even if the situation has been resolved, the boys and their parents have been treated in the shoddiest of manners with the heads of both schools behaving in a manner that displays utter contempt for their opinions. On two occasions the parents of more than half the boys in the unit have written requesting that the boys have access to the canteen. Your article refers not once, but twice, to parents being happy with the status quo. Have they any written evidence to this effect? Even if this is the case this does not make the situation of children being forced to eat their dinners at their desks acceptable.

If the powers that be genuinely believe this then the solution is simple. Close the canteens at Maes Ebbw’s sites and at Bro Teyrnon and make all children eat at their desks. After all, if this arrangement is appropriate for boys with extensive learning disabilities it should be much easier for those more able children to accept this. If the canteens are not closed and the boys continue to eat at their workstations then surely there must be a case for investigating a breach of the Equality Act 2010.

Anil Karhadkar, Damien Lane, Angela Nzeyimana, Stephen Perry, Razaq Shakir Newport

Comments (2)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:55am Thu 19 Dec 13

minesapint says...

YOUR SILENCE IS DEAFENING
As a voter in the shaftesbury ward I am vexed as to why neither of our councillors have expressed any concerns over this issue. Paul Cockeram is responsible for social care and well being and Bob Poole is a cabinet member for Education and young people. Perhaps they are afraid to rock the boat in case they upset the powerful Welsh language lobbyist either way they are clearly not prepared to step up to the mark and speak out against this injustice. Don't come knocking on my door come election time if you cant support the most vulnerable your not worth your salt let alone my vote
YOUR SILENCE IS DEAFENING As a voter in the shaftesbury ward I am vexed as to why neither of our councillors have expressed any concerns over this issue. Paul Cockeram is responsible for social care and well being and Bob Poole is a cabinet member for Education and young people. Perhaps they are afraid to rock the boat in case they upset the powerful Welsh language lobbyist either way they are clearly not prepared to step up to the mark and speak out against this injustice. Don't come knocking on my door come election time if you cant support the most vulnerable your not worth your salt let alone my vote minesapint

1:11pm Thu 19 Dec 13

Katie Re-Registered says...

*If it is only boys who have been targeted for less favourable treatment this would also constitute sex discrimination under British and EU law.
*If it is only boys who have been targeted for less favourable treatment this would also constitute sex discrimination under British and EU law. Katie Re-Registered

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree