Tax appeal

First published in Letters
Last updated

Bedroom Tax - Tenants can appeal and win!

THROUGHOUT Wales, tenants are organising and fighting back against Westminster’s bedroom tax. The policy is defined not only by its cruelty, but also its incompetence. It appears to be a shoddy, ‘back-of-a-fag-packet’ measure that is unravelling in the courts and the media. This throws up all sorts of opportunities for those affected.

Consequently; if you have lived in the same property since January 1st, 1996 or before and have been in continuous receipt of housing benefit (full or just one pence per week), in meeting these two conditions you are almost certainly exempt from the bedroom tax.

The same will apply if you inherited a tenancy on the same basis.

Newport Against the Bedroom Tax urges all tenants within this category to appeal. The process is simple, free and, if successful, not only will you no longer have to pay the bedroom tax but you will be refunded the difference since April or its equivalent in arrears.

If you are not covered by this regulation, you might also be able to appeal on the grounds of room size, room use, disability/illness or family relationships. Either way, we can help – please contact via email newportagainstthebedroomtax@gmail.com

Hannah Crew - Newport Against the Bedroom Tax and Jamie Insole – Cardiff & South Wales Against the Bedroom Tax

Comments (20)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:42pm Wed 22 Jan 14

_Bryan_ says...

For the umpteenth time, there is no such thing as a "Bedroom Tax". A tax is a levy made on earned or created wealth.

What you are actually campaigning against is a reduction in housing benefit for people who believe that they have the right to live in houses larger than they need, and for these houses to be paid for from taxes paid by others.
For the umpteenth time, there is no such thing as a "Bedroom Tax". A tax is a levy made on earned or created wealth. What you are actually campaigning against is a reduction in housing benefit for people who believe that they have the right to live in houses larger than they need, and for these houses to be paid for from taxes paid by others. _Bryan_
  • Score: 3

4:48pm Wed 22 Jan 14

GardenVarietyMushroom says...

_Bryan_ wrote:
For the umpteenth time, there is no such thing as a "Bedroom Tax". A tax is a levy made on earned or created wealth.

What you are actually campaigning against is a reduction in housing benefit for people who believe that they have the right to live in houses larger than they need, and for these houses to be paid for from taxes paid by others.
It is a bedroom tax if that's what people want to call it.

As for ther rest of your comment - sorry, all I read was 'blahblahblahdedebla
h'
[quote][p][bold]_Bryan_[/bold] wrote: For the umpteenth time, there is no such thing as a "Bedroom Tax". A tax is a levy made on earned or created wealth. What you are actually campaigning against is a reduction in housing benefit for people who believe that they have the right to live in houses larger than they need, and for these houses to be paid for from taxes paid by others.[/p][/quote]It is a bedroom tax if that's what people want to call it. As for ther rest of your comment - sorry, all I read was 'blahblahblahdedebla h' GardenVarietyMushroom
  • Score: -5

4:49pm Wed 22 Jan 14

GardenVarietyMushroom says...

BTW - hats off the Hannah and Jamie, and everyone else involved for doing something about the bedroom TAX
BTW - hats off the Hannah and Jamie, and everyone else involved for doing something about the bedroom TAX GardenVarietyMushroom
  • Score: -4

5:10pm Wed 22 Jan 14

Bobevans says...

The legislation is being revised to close off this loophole
The legislation is being revised to close off this loophole Bobevans
  • Score: 6

7:56pm Wed 22 Jan 14

endthelies says...

Bobevans wrote:
The legislation is being revised to close off this loophole
They would wouldn't they. Get in now people before it happens. Good luck.
[quote][p][bold]Bobevans[/bold] wrote: The legislation is being revised to close off this loophole[/p][/quote]They would wouldn't they. Get in now people before it happens. Good luck. endthelies
  • Score: -3

9:14pm Wed 22 Jan 14

Llanmartinangel says...

_Bryan_ wrote:
For the umpteenth time, there is no such thing as a "Bedroom Tax". A tax is a levy made on earned or created wealth.

What you are actually campaigning against is a reduction in housing benefit for people who believe that they have the right to live in houses larger than they need, and for these houses to be paid for from taxes paid by others.
Correct. If I bought a house larger than I could afford a mortgage for they would sling me out. The difference being I earn my money. I've no issue with the elderly and disabled being looked after but I'd stop there.
[quote][p][bold]_Bryan_[/bold] wrote: For the umpteenth time, there is no such thing as a "Bedroom Tax". A tax is a levy made on earned or created wealth. What you are actually campaigning against is a reduction in housing benefit for people who believe that they have the right to live in houses larger than they need, and for these houses to be paid for from taxes paid by others.[/p][/quote]Correct. If I bought a house larger than I could afford a mortgage for they would sling me out. The difference being I earn my money. I've no issue with the elderly and disabled being looked after but I'd stop there. Llanmartinangel
  • Score: 6

9:55pm Wed 22 Jan 14

scraptheWAG says...

Llanmartinangel wrote:
_Bryan_ wrote:
For the umpteenth time, there is no such thing as a "Bedroom Tax". A tax is a levy made on earned or created wealth.

What you are actually campaigning against is a reduction in housing benefit for people who believe that they have the right to live in houses larger than they need, and for these houses to be paid for from taxes paid by others.
Correct. If I bought a house larger than I could afford a mortgage for they would sling me out. The difference being I earn my money. I've no issue with the elderly and disabled being looked after but I'd stop there.
bedroom tax these people do not know a thing about paying tax - why do the unemployed/ im disabled crowd want with all these spare rooms you can only sleep in one at once.

I take it hannah you will be voting labour at the next election.
[quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]_Bryan_[/bold] wrote: For the umpteenth time, there is no such thing as a "Bedroom Tax". A tax is a levy made on earned or created wealth. What you are actually campaigning against is a reduction in housing benefit for people who believe that they have the right to live in houses larger than they need, and for these houses to be paid for from taxes paid by others.[/p][/quote]Correct. If I bought a house larger than I could afford a mortgage for they would sling me out. The difference being I earn my money. I've no issue with the elderly and disabled being looked after but I'd stop there.[/p][/quote]bedroom tax these people do not know a thing about paying tax - why do the unemployed/ im disabled crowd want with all these spare rooms you can only sleep in one at once. I take it hannah you will be voting labour at the next election. scraptheWAG
  • Score: 4

10:04pm Wed 22 Jan 14

endthelies says...

Llanmartinangel wrote:
_Bryan_ wrote:
For the umpteenth time, there is no such thing as a "Bedroom Tax". A tax is a levy made on earned or created wealth.

What you are actually campaigning against is a reduction in housing benefit for people who believe that they have the right to live in houses larger than they need, and for these houses to be paid for from taxes paid by others.
Correct. If I bought a house larger than I could afford a mortgage for they would sling me out. The difference being I earn my money. I've no issue with the elderly and disabled being looked after but I'd stop there.
What about the people who work but are on a low wage and have to claim housing benefit?
[quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]_Bryan_[/bold] wrote: For the umpteenth time, there is no such thing as a "Bedroom Tax". A tax is a levy made on earned or created wealth. What you are actually campaigning against is a reduction in housing benefit for people who believe that they have the right to live in houses larger than they need, and for these houses to be paid for from taxes paid by others.[/p][/quote]Correct. If I bought a house larger than I could afford a mortgage for they would sling me out. The difference being I earn my money. I've no issue with the elderly and disabled being looked after but I'd stop there.[/p][/quote]What about the people who work but are on a low wage and have to claim housing benefit? endthelies
  • Score: -5

11:31pm Wed 22 Jan 14

Mwy Eira says...

Working or not, if people want the luxury of an extra bedroom (and I am not including disabled people who need extra space here) they should fund it themselves. If I want to move to a bigger house so each of my kids can have their own bedroom, I would have to fund it myself.
Working or not, if people want the luxury of an extra bedroom (and I am not including disabled people who need extra space here) they should fund it themselves. If I want to move to a bigger house so each of my kids can have their own bedroom, I would have to fund it myself. Mwy Eira
  • Score: 3

7:52am Thu 23 Jan 14

Llanmartinangel says...

endthelies wrote:
Llanmartinangel wrote:
_Bryan_ wrote:
For the umpteenth time, there is no such thing as a "Bedroom Tax". A tax is a levy made on earned or created wealth.

What you are actually campaigning against is a reduction in housing benefit for people who believe that they have the right to live in houses larger than they need, and for these houses to be paid for from taxes paid by others.
Correct. If I bought a house larger than I could afford a mortgage for they would sling me out. The difference being I earn my money. I've no issue with the elderly and disabled being looked after but I'd stop there.
What about the people who work but are on a low wage and have to claim housing benefit?
That still doesn't explain why they can have a larger house funded by the taxpayer when the rest of us can't.
[quote][p][bold]endthelies[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]_Bryan_[/bold] wrote: For the umpteenth time, there is no such thing as a "Bedroom Tax". A tax is a levy made on earned or created wealth. What you are actually campaigning against is a reduction in housing benefit for people who believe that they have the right to live in houses larger than they need, and for these houses to be paid for from taxes paid by others.[/p][/quote]Correct. If I bought a house larger than I could afford a mortgage for they would sling me out. The difference being I earn my money. I've no issue with the elderly and disabled being looked after but I'd stop there.[/p][/quote]What about the people who work but are on a low wage and have to claim housing benefit?[/p][/quote]That still doesn't explain why they can have a larger house funded by the taxpayer when the rest of us can't. Llanmartinangel
  • Score: 5

9:46am Thu 23 Jan 14

pwlldu says...

What do the changes mean?

The size criteria in the social rented sector will restrict housing benefit to allow for one bedroom for each person or couple living as part of the household, with the following exceptions:

Two children under 16 of same gender expected to share
Two children under 10 expected to share regardless of gender
Disabled tenant or partner who needs non-resident overnight carer will be allowed an extra bedroom
Approved foster carers will be allowed an additional room so long as they have fostered a child, or become an approved foster carer in the last 12 months.
Adult children in the Armed Forces will be treated as continuing to live at home when deployed on operations.

In addition, local councils have been advised to allow an extra bedroom for children who are unable to share because of their severe disabilities.
What do the changes mean? The size criteria in the social rented sector will restrict housing benefit to allow for one bedroom for each person or couple living as part of the household, with the following exceptions: Two children under 16 of same gender expected to share Two children under 10 expected to share regardless of gender Disabled tenant or partner who needs non-resident overnight carer will be allowed an extra bedroom Approved foster carers will be allowed an additional room so long as they have fostered a child, or become an approved foster carer in the last 12 months. Adult children in the Armed Forces will be treated as continuing to live at home when deployed on operations. In addition, local councils have been advised to allow an extra bedroom for children who are unable to share because of their severe disabilities. pwlldu
  • Score: 1

10:07am Thu 23 Jan 14

endthelies says...

These homes were allocated to the people who live in them. There is not enough small housing for people to move too, and those that are available have already increased the cost of the rent to maximise the profit from demand. Therefore, the housing benefit has actually RISEN! Its costing the taxpayer more. As well as leaving larger houses empty and getting run down because there are a lot more smaller families than large. Its ludicrous. But if your happy with the situation LMA and MWY, then you just put up with the rising benefit bill. Doesn't make sense to me though I have to say.
These homes were allocated to the people who live in them. There is not enough small housing for people to move too, and those that are available have already increased the cost of the rent to maximise the profit from demand. Therefore, the housing benefit has actually RISEN! Its costing the taxpayer more. As well as leaving larger houses empty and getting run down because there are a lot more smaller families than large. Its ludicrous. But if your happy with the situation LMA and MWY, then you just put up with the rising benefit bill. Doesn't make sense to me though I have to say. endthelies
  • Score: -2

11:57am Thu 23 Jan 14

Mr Angry says...

endthelies wrote:
These homes were allocated to the people who live in them. There is not enough small housing for people to move too, and those that are available have already increased the cost of the rent to maximise the profit from demand. Therefore, the housing benefit has actually RISEN! Its costing the taxpayer more. As well as leaving larger houses empty and getting run down because there are a lot more smaller families than large. Its ludicrous. But if your happy with the situation LMA and MWY, then you just put up with the rising benefit bill. Doesn't make sense to me though I have to say.
Don't dare challenge them - they dont like it
[quote][p][bold]endthelies[/bold] wrote: These homes were allocated to the people who live in them. There is not enough small housing for people to move too, and those that are available have already increased the cost of the rent to maximise the profit from demand. Therefore, the housing benefit has actually RISEN! Its costing the taxpayer more. As well as leaving larger houses empty and getting run down because there are a lot more smaller families than large. Its ludicrous. But if your happy with the situation LMA and MWY, then you just put up with the rising benefit bill. Doesn't make sense to me though I have to say.[/p][/quote]Don't dare challenge them - they dont like it Mr Angry
  • Score: -3

12:01pm Thu 23 Jan 14

endthelies says...

Mr Angry wrote:
endthelies wrote:
These homes were allocated to the people who live in them. There is not enough small housing for people to move too, and those that are available have already increased the cost of the rent to maximise the profit from demand. Therefore, the housing benefit has actually RISEN! Its costing the taxpayer more. As well as leaving larger houses empty and getting run down because there are a lot more smaller families than large. Its ludicrous. But if your happy with the situation LMA and MWY, then you just put up with the rising benefit bill. Doesn't make sense to me though I have to say.
Don't dare challenge them - they dont like it
:-)
[quote][p][bold]Mr Angry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]endthelies[/bold] wrote: These homes were allocated to the people who live in them. There is not enough small housing for people to move too, and those that are available have already increased the cost of the rent to maximise the profit from demand. Therefore, the housing benefit has actually RISEN! Its costing the taxpayer more. As well as leaving larger houses empty and getting run down because there are a lot more smaller families than large. Its ludicrous. But if your happy with the situation LMA and MWY, then you just put up with the rising benefit bill. Doesn't make sense to me though I have to say.[/p][/quote]Don't dare challenge them - they dont like it[/p][/quote]:-) endthelies
  • Score: -2

12:41pm Thu 23 Jan 14

Bobevans says...

endthelies wrote:
These homes were allocated to the people who live in them. There is not enough small housing for people to move too, and those that are available have already increased the cost of the rent to maximise the profit from demand. Therefore, the housing benefit has actually RISEN! Its costing the taxpayer more. As well as leaving larger houses empty and getting run down because there are a lot more smaller families than large. Its ludicrous. But if your happy with the situation LMA and MWY, then you just put up with the rising benefit bill. Doesn't make sense to me though I have to say.
There is a shortage of larger properties not a surplus
[quote][p][bold]endthelies[/bold] wrote: These homes were allocated to the people who live in them. There is not enough small housing for people to move too, and those that are available have already increased the cost of the rent to maximise the profit from demand. Therefore, the housing benefit has actually RISEN! Its costing the taxpayer more. As well as leaving larger houses empty and getting run down because there are a lot more smaller families than large. Its ludicrous. But if your happy with the situation LMA and MWY, then you just put up with the rising benefit bill. Doesn't make sense to me though I have to say.[/p][/quote]There is a shortage of larger properties not a surplus Bobevans
  • Score: 1

1:17pm Thu 23 Jan 14

endthelies says...

Bobevans wrote:
endthelies wrote:
These homes were allocated to the people who live in them. There is not enough small housing for people to move too, and those that are available have already increased the cost of the rent to maximise the profit from demand. Therefore, the housing benefit has actually RISEN! Its costing the taxpayer more. As well as leaving larger houses empty and getting run down because there are a lot more smaller families than large. Its ludicrous. But if your happy with the situation LMA and MWY, then you just put up with the rising benefit bill. Doesn't make sense to me though I have to say.
There is a shortage of larger properties not a surplus
No you're wrong Bob. Maybe in London or large cities, but in the majority of areas, you will find councils are reporting larger properties being left empty. Would you like some facts to go with it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk
/news/uk-23122369
http://www.independe
nt.co.uk/news/uk/pol
itics/big-lie-behind
-the-bedroom-tax-fam
ilies-trapped-with-n
owhere-to-move-face-
penalty-for-having-s
pare-room-8745597.ht
ml
But apart from this evidence, I see the evidence everyday with my own eyes. Families who have brought up their children having to move to smaller housing and then their houses remains empty for many, many months.
[quote][p][bold]Bobevans[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]endthelies[/bold] wrote: These homes were allocated to the people who live in them. There is not enough small housing for people to move too, and those that are available have already increased the cost of the rent to maximise the profit from demand. Therefore, the housing benefit has actually RISEN! Its costing the taxpayer more. As well as leaving larger houses empty and getting run down because there are a lot more smaller families than large. Its ludicrous. But if your happy with the situation LMA and MWY, then you just put up with the rising benefit bill. Doesn't make sense to me though I have to say.[/p][/quote]There is a shortage of larger properties not a surplus[/p][/quote]No you're wrong Bob. Maybe in London or large cities, but in the majority of areas, you will find councils are reporting larger properties being left empty. Would you like some facts to go with it. http://www.bbc.co.uk /news/uk-23122369 http://www.independe nt.co.uk/news/uk/pol itics/big-lie-behind -the-bedroom-tax-fam ilies-trapped-with-n owhere-to-move-face- penalty-for-having-s pare-room-8745597.ht ml But apart from this evidence, I see the evidence everyday with my own eyes. Families who have brought up their children having to move to smaller housing and then their houses remains empty for many, many months. endthelies
  • Score: 0

4:35pm Thu 23 Jan 14

Bobevans says...

The cost of HB in Wales is totally out of control. It is currently £1.1B for an adult population of 2.4M. Currently 250,000 in Wales claim HB that's about £4,400 each on average

http://www.walesonli
ne.co.uk/news/wales-
news/uk-government-d
efends-so-called-bed
room-6556175
The cost of HB in Wales is totally out of control. It is currently £1.1B for an adult population of 2.4M. Currently 250,000 in Wales claim HB that's about £4,400 each on average http://www.walesonli ne.co.uk/news/wales- news/uk-government-d efends-so-called-bed room-6556175 Bobevans
  • Score: 3

5:06pm Thu 23 Jan 14

endthelies says...

Bobevans wrote:
The cost of HB in Wales is totally out of control. It is currently £1.1B for an adult population of 2.4M. Currently 250,000 in Wales claim HB that's about £4,400 each on average

http://www.walesonli

ne.co.uk/news/wales-

news/uk-government-d

efends-so-called-bed

room-6556175
And that figure is going UP under the bedroom tax rules so get rid of it.
[quote][p][bold]Bobevans[/bold] wrote: The cost of HB in Wales is totally out of control. It is currently £1.1B for an adult population of 2.4M. Currently 250,000 in Wales claim HB that's about £4,400 each on average http://www.walesonli ne.co.uk/news/wales- news/uk-government-d efends-so-called-bed room-6556175[/p][/quote]And that figure is going UP under the bedroom tax rules so get rid of it. endthelies
  • Score: 0

5:14pm Thu 23 Jan 14

endthelies says...

here's some more facts about why the HB bill is rising, Basically, people are having to move into private, more expensive, accommodation because of the lack of small dwellings. I know people don't like hearing that the tories got it terribly wrong, but they have so its time to admit their mistake and banish the bedroom tax.
http://www.mirror.co
.uk/news/uk-news/bed
room-tax-costing-mor
e-saves-2214198#.UuF
NIFJFAps
here's some more facts about why the HB bill is rising, Basically, people are having to move into private, more expensive, accommodation because of the lack of small dwellings. I know people don't like hearing that the tories got it terribly wrong, but they have so its time to admit their mistake and banish the bedroom tax. http://www.mirror.co .uk/news/uk-news/bed room-tax-costing-mor e-saves-2214198#.UuF NIFJFAps endthelies
  • Score: -1

6:21pm Thu 23 Jan 14

Mr Angry says...

Council : You've got a spare room, you've got to pay Bedroom Tax
Tenant : I don't want to pay Bedroom Tax, I 'll move somewhere smaller- downsize.
Council : There's nowhere smaller available
Tenant : I will have to stay where I am then.
Council : You've got a spare room, you've got to pay Bedroom Tax
Tenant : I don't want to pay Bedroom Tax, I 'll move somewhere smaller- downsize.
Council : There's nowhere smaller available
Tenant : I will have to stay where I am then.

Tenant : I don't want to pay Bedroom Tax, I 'll move somewhere smaller- downsize.
Council : There's nowhere smaller available
Tenant : I will have to stay where I am then.
Council : You've got a spare room, you've got to pay Bedroom Tax

Repeat Ad nauseam
Council : You've got a spare room, you've got to pay Bedroom Tax Tenant : I don't want to pay Bedroom Tax, I 'll move somewhere smaller- downsize. Council : There's nowhere smaller available Tenant : I will have to stay where I am then. Council : You've got a spare room, you've got to pay Bedroom Tax Tenant : I don't want to pay Bedroom Tax, I 'll move somewhere smaller- downsize. Council : There's nowhere smaller available Tenant : I will have to stay where I am then. Tenant : I don't want to pay Bedroom Tax, I 'll move somewhere smaller- downsize. Council : There's nowhere smaller available Tenant : I will have to stay where I am then. Council : You've got a spare room, you've got to pay Bedroom Tax Repeat Ad nauseam Mr Angry
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree