Reference row

First published in Letters

AS I ACTUALLY use the Holy Bible as reference Tom McCarthy for my criticism of the mythical Jesus and Christianity, I hardly think I show any “bigotry” or “prejudice”. If the quotes from the Bible are “ostensible” then surely the word of God is untrue?

The basic tenet of Christ’s message was love me or burn in hell. The authority of Jesus was not to be questioned – “He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.” (John (3:18) This is very explicit and not a “distortion” Tom McCarthy. We are also ordered to love Jesus more than our own parents and be willing to follow the Saviour unquestioningly. (Mathew 10:34-30) Any religion that uses such “disgusting” threats to recruit its flock is rather authoritarian to say the least. Jesus might be (like Mithra) a “good shepherd” but who wants to be a sheep?

Terry Banfield Cardigan Crescent Cwmbran

Comments (12)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:16pm Mon 10 Feb 14

varteg1 says...

I love it when using their own 'literature' to ruin their argument which invariably shows the distortion of truth and false claims for 'fact'

These people are adept at obfuscation, the usual tactic being, when faced with incontrovertible real facts, they either turn their back on one or become so drastically agitated they resort to repetitive claptrap as though it will somehow absolve fact to make it disappear

Terry B can destroy at a stroke, and more power to him for so doing.
I just wish these religious fruitcakes would do us all a favour and go to where they are so obviously happy to see us all living...in some pathetic pre-medieval desert society, where health and wealth lay in the power of the sword and the everyday inhumanity that existed for the common herd of the day.

Religion,m being based in fantasy is toxic to modern life, it is elitist, divisive and corrupt, far from making society cohesive it has the very opposite effect, as a fleeting glance at the current state of the middle east can affirm.
I love it when using their own 'literature' to ruin their argument which invariably shows the distortion of truth and false claims for 'fact' These people are adept at obfuscation, the usual tactic being, when faced with incontrovertible real facts, they either turn their back on one or become so drastically agitated they resort to repetitive claptrap as though it will somehow absolve fact to make it disappear Terry B can destroy at a stroke, and more power to him for so doing. I just wish these religious fruitcakes would do us all a favour and go to where they are so obviously happy to see us all living...in some pathetic pre-medieval desert society, where health and wealth lay in the power of the sword and the everyday inhumanity that existed for the common herd of the day. Religion,m being based in fantasy is toxic to modern life, it is elitist, divisive and corrupt, far from making society cohesive it has the very opposite effect, as a fleeting glance at the current state of the middle east can affirm. varteg1
  • Score: 0

5:13pm Mon 10 Feb 14

GardenVarietyMushroom says...

varteg1 wrote:
I love it when using their own 'literature' to ruin their argument which invariably shows the distortion of truth and false claims for 'fact'

These people are adept at obfuscation, the usual tactic being, when faced with incontrovertible real facts, they either turn their back on one or become so drastically agitated they resort to repetitive claptrap as though it will somehow absolve fact to make it disappear

Terry B can destroy at a stroke, and more power to him for so doing.
I just wish these religious fruitcakes would do us all a favour and go to where they are so obviously happy to see us all living...in some pathetic pre-medieval desert society, where health and wealth lay in the power of the sword and the everyday inhumanity that existed for the common herd of the day.

Religion,m being based in fantasy is toxic to modern life, it is elitist, divisive and corrupt, far from making society cohesive it has the very opposite effect, as a fleeting glance at the current state of the middle east can affirm.
You forgot the timeless classic - 'allow me to interpret that for you'.
[quote][p][bold]varteg1[/bold] wrote: I love it when using their own 'literature' to ruin their argument which invariably shows the distortion of truth and false claims for 'fact' These people are adept at obfuscation, the usual tactic being, when faced with incontrovertible real facts, they either turn their back on one or become so drastically agitated they resort to repetitive claptrap as though it will somehow absolve fact to make it disappear Terry B can destroy at a stroke, and more power to him for so doing. I just wish these religious fruitcakes would do us all a favour and go to where they are so obviously happy to see us all living...in some pathetic pre-medieval desert society, where health and wealth lay in the power of the sword and the everyday inhumanity that existed for the common herd of the day. Religion,m being based in fantasy is toxic to modern life, it is elitist, divisive and corrupt, far from making society cohesive it has the very opposite effect, as a fleeting glance at the current state of the middle east can affirm.[/p][/quote]You forgot the timeless classic - 'allow me to interpret that for you'. GardenVarietyMushroom
  • Score: 3

6:55pm Mon 10 Feb 14

welshmen says...

varteg1 wrote:
I love it when using their own 'literature' to ruin their argument which invariably shows the distortion of truth and false claims for 'fact'

These people are adept at obfuscation, the usual tactic being, when faced with incontrovertible real facts, they either turn their back on one or become so drastically agitated they resort to repetitive claptrap as though it will somehow absolve fact to make it disappear

Terry B can destroy at a stroke, and more power to him for so doing.
I just wish these religious fruitcakes would do us all a favour and go to where they are so obviously happy to see us all living...in some pathetic pre-medieval desert society, where health and wealth lay in the power of the sword and the everyday inhumanity that existed for the common herd of the day.

Religion,m being based in fantasy is toxic to modern life, it is elitist, divisive and corrupt, far from making society cohesive it has the very opposite effect, as a fleeting glance at the current state of the middle east can affirm.
Nice post and very truthful.

This Country, most of Europe, America, and Canada are being colonised, by mainly immigrant people who want their Ideology "say so" Religion to dominate all of us, while some oppose this we are quickly rebuked speaking or debating their Religion.

Government who are there to protect us, but they make laws to protect the growth of this Ideology, you have to ask your self, do our Government WANT this Ideology (Religion) to rule our Country, as until now I see no answer to this threat on all of us, if your either Christian, Jew, or an atheist make's no difference, for this Ideology is instructed to deal with those who do not believe as them.

You might think what I have said is a bit far fetched, but, and it's not a big but, look around you, see what's happening here and all the other places I have mentioned, people are getting very concerned, you can attack me for what I have said here or support what I have said, don't let the PC brigade shut us up....
[quote][p][bold]varteg1[/bold] wrote: I love it when using their own 'literature' to ruin their argument which invariably shows the distortion of truth and false claims for 'fact' These people are adept at obfuscation, the usual tactic being, when faced with incontrovertible real facts, they either turn their back on one or become so drastically agitated they resort to repetitive claptrap as though it will somehow absolve fact to make it disappear Terry B can destroy at a stroke, and more power to him for so doing. I just wish these religious fruitcakes would do us all a favour and go to where they are so obviously happy to see us all living...in some pathetic pre-medieval desert society, where health and wealth lay in the power of the sword and the everyday inhumanity that existed for the common herd of the day. Religion,m being based in fantasy is toxic to modern life, it is elitist, divisive and corrupt, far from making society cohesive it has the very opposite effect, as a fleeting glance at the current state of the middle east can affirm.[/p][/quote]Nice post and very truthful. This Country, most of Europe, America, and Canada are being colonised, by mainly immigrant people who want their Ideology "say so" Religion to dominate all of us, while some oppose this we are quickly rebuked speaking or debating their Religion. Government who are there to protect us, but they make laws to protect the growth of this Ideology, you have to ask your self, do our Government WANT this Ideology (Religion) to rule our Country, as until now I see no answer to this threat on all of us, if your either Christian, Jew, or an atheist make's no difference, for this Ideology is instructed to deal with those who do not believe as them. You might think what I have said is a bit far fetched, but, and it's not a big but, look around you, see what's happening here and all the other places I have mentioned, people are getting very concerned, you can attack me for what I have said here or support what I have said, don't let the PC brigade shut us up.... welshmen
  • Score: 2

9:07am Tue 11 Feb 14

varteg1 says...

"..........don't let the PC brigade shut us up!".......

The problem there is that the so called PC brigade whilst having a good case to state at times, often take the 'correctness' into realms that have no meaning for the general community.

I can understand the notion that one should not be castigated or criticised for holding a religious belief, but making it a legal imperative makes a mockery of all that the PC mob would wish to impart.

Hard facts should be the basis of how one lives their life, not have a doctrine forced through by a small number of zealots, be they religious fanatics or the misguided liberals that seem the base of the PC brigade..
"..........don't let the PC brigade shut us up!"....... The problem there is that the so called PC brigade whilst having a good case to state at times, often take the 'correctness' into realms that have no meaning for the general community. I can understand the notion that one should not be castigated or criticised for holding a religious belief, but making it a legal imperative makes a mockery of all that the PC mob would wish to impart. Hard facts should be the basis of how one lives their life, not have a doctrine forced through by a small number of zealots, be they religious fanatics or the misguided liberals that seem the base of the PC brigade.. varteg1
  • Score: 1

12:15pm Wed 12 Feb 14

welshmen says...

varteg1 wrote:
"..........don'
t let the PC brigade shut us up!".......

The problem there is that the so called PC brigade whilst having a good case to state at times, often take the 'correctness' into realms that have no meaning for the general community.

I can understand the notion that one should not be castigated or criticised for holding a religious belief, but making it a legal imperative makes a mockery of all that the PC mob would wish to impart.

Hard facts should be the basis of how one lives their life, not have a doctrine forced through by a small number of zealots, be they religious fanatics or the misguided liberals that seem the base of the PC brigade..
I am hoping along with millions of other British people that our Government have the heads up on our future concerning the colonising of our Country by these Ideologists who do not integrate with the indigenous British , we have Forces coming home from Afghanistan and Germany shortly which is the best thing to happen for 15 years, no more British blood spilt in Foreign Countries for some time, I hope.

May be the threat the ideologists cast on our country has been already been taken into hand by the spoofs, the USA have six of these Ideologists in their security council, that alone is very worrying....the Politically Correct Laws are there to stop debate on the very subject's that threaten our Country and way of life, so are demonstrations against their Ideology, but they seem spout the vile with impunity....
[quote][p][bold]varteg1[/bold] wrote: "..........don' t let the PC brigade shut us up!"....... The problem there is that the so called PC brigade whilst having a good case to state at times, often take the 'correctness' into realms that have no meaning for the general community. I can understand the notion that one should not be castigated or criticised for holding a religious belief, but making it a legal imperative makes a mockery of all that the PC mob would wish to impart. Hard facts should be the basis of how one lives their life, not have a doctrine forced through by a small number of zealots, be they religious fanatics or the misguided liberals that seem the base of the PC brigade..[/p][/quote]I am hoping along with millions of other British people that our Government have the heads up on our future concerning the colonising of our Country by these Ideologists who do not integrate with the indigenous British , we have Forces coming home from Afghanistan and Germany shortly which is the best thing to happen for 15 years, no more British blood spilt in Foreign Countries for some time, I hope. May be the threat the ideologists cast on our country has been already been taken into hand by the spoofs, the USA have six of these Ideologists in their security council, that alone is very worrying....the Politically Correct Laws are there to stop debate on the very subject's that threaten our Country and way of life, so are demonstrations against their Ideology, but they seem spout the vile with impunity.... welshmen
  • Score: 0

2:54pm Wed 12 Feb 14

GardenVarietyMushroom says...

welshmen wrote:
varteg1 wrote:
I love it when using their own 'literature' to ruin their argument which invariably shows the distortion of truth and false claims for 'fact'

These people are adept at obfuscation, the usual tactic being, when faced with incontrovertible real facts, they either turn their back on one or become so drastically agitated they resort to repetitive claptrap as though it will somehow absolve fact to make it disappear

Terry B can destroy at a stroke, and more power to him for so doing.
I just wish these religious fruitcakes would do us all a favour and go to where they are so obviously happy to see us all living...in some pathetic pre-medieval desert society, where health and wealth lay in the power of the sword and the everyday inhumanity that existed for the common herd of the day.

Religion,m being based in fantasy is toxic to modern life, it is elitist, divisive and corrupt, far from making society cohesive it has the very opposite effect, as a fleeting glance at the current state of the middle east can affirm.
Nice post and very truthful.

This Country, most of Europe, America, and Canada are being colonised, by mainly immigrant people who want their Ideology "say so" Religion to dominate all of us, while some oppose this we are quickly rebuked speaking or debating their Religion.

Government who are there to protect us, but they make laws to protect the growth of this Ideology, you have to ask your self, do our Government WANT this Ideology (Religion) to rule our Country, as until now I see no answer to this threat on all of us, if your either Christian, Jew, or an atheist make's no difference, for this Ideology is instructed to deal with those who do not believe as them.

You might think what I have said is a bit far fetched, but, and it's not a big but, look around you, see what's happening here and all the other places I have mentioned, people are getting very concerned, you can attack me for what I have said here or support what I have said, don't let the PC brigade shut us up....
So come on Welshmen, tell us... what do you think we should do with a religion that says;
- It's okay to sell your daughter as a sex slave
- That non believers should be burned
- That women should not be able to teach men and should be silent
- That it's okay to keep a Jewish slave and keep his wife and children as slaves

Though I suspect I already know the answer... but would like to hear you say it...
[quote][p][bold]welshmen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]varteg1[/bold] wrote: I love it when using their own 'literature' to ruin their argument which invariably shows the distortion of truth and false claims for 'fact' These people are adept at obfuscation, the usual tactic being, when faced with incontrovertible real facts, they either turn their back on one or become so drastically agitated they resort to repetitive claptrap as though it will somehow absolve fact to make it disappear Terry B can destroy at a stroke, and more power to him for so doing. I just wish these religious fruitcakes would do us all a favour and go to where they are so obviously happy to see us all living...in some pathetic pre-medieval desert society, where health and wealth lay in the power of the sword and the everyday inhumanity that existed for the common herd of the day. Religion,m being based in fantasy is toxic to modern life, it is elitist, divisive and corrupt, far from making society cohesive it has the very opposite effect, as a fleeting glance at the current state of the middle east can affirm.[/p][/quote]Nice post and very truthful. This Country, most of Europe, America, and Canada are being colonised, by mainly immigrant people who want their Ideology "say so" Religion to dominate all of us, while some oppose this we are quickly rebuked speaking or debating their Religion. Government who are there to protect us, but they make laws to protect the growth of this Ideology, you have to ask your self, do our Government WANT this Ideology (Religion) to rule our Country, as until now I see no answer to this threat on all of us, if your either Christian, Jew, or an atheist make's no difference, for this Ideology is instructed to deal with those who do not believe as them. You might think what I have said is a bit far fetched, but, and it's not a big but, look around you, see what's happening here and all the other places I have mentioned, people are getting very concerned, you can attack me for what I have said here or support what I have said, don't let the PC brigade shut us up....[/p][/quote]So come on Welshmen, tell us... what do you think we should do with a religion that says; - It's okay to sell your daughter as a sex slave - That non believers should be burned - That women should not be able to teach men and should be silent - That it's okay to keep a Jewish slave and keep his wife and children as slaves Though I suspect I already know the answer... but would like to hear you say it... GardenVarietyMushroom
  • Score: -1

3:59pm Wed 12 Feb 14

welshmen says...

GardenVarietyMushroo
m
wrote:
welshmen wrote:
varteg1 wrote:
I love it when using their own 'literature' to ruin their argument which invariably shows the distortion of truth and false claims for 'fact'

These people are adept at obfuscation, the usual tactic being, when faced with incontrovertible real facts, they either turn their back on one or become so drastically agitated they resort to repetitive claptrap as though it will somehow absolve fact to make it disappear

Terry B can destroy at a stroke, and more power to him for so doing.
I just wish these religious fruitcakes would do us all a favour and go to where they are so obviously happy to see us all living...in some pathetic pre-medieval desert society, where health and wealth lay in the power of the sword and the everyday inhumanity that existed for the common herd of the day.

Religion,m being based in fantasy is toxic to modern life, it is elitist, divisive and corrupt, far from making society cohesive it has the very opposite effect, as a fleeting glance at the current state of the middle east can affirm.
Nice post and very truthful.

This Country, most of Europe, America, and Canada are being colonised, by mainly immigrant people who want their Ideology "say so" Religion to dominate all of us, while some oppose this we are quickly rebuked speaking or debating their Religion.

Government who are there to protect us, but they make laws to protect the growth of this Ideology, you have to ask your self, do our Government WANT this Ideology (Religion) to rule our Country, as until now I see no answer to this threat on all of us, if your either Christian, Jew, or an atheist make's no difference, for this Ideology is instructed to deal with those who do not believe as them.

You might think what I have said is a bit far fetched, but, and it's not a big but, look around you, see what's happening here and all the other places I have mentioned, people are getting very concerned, you can attack me for what I have said here or support what I have said, don't let the PC brigade shut us up....
So come on Welshmen, tell us... what do you think we should do with a religion that says;
- It's okay to sell your daughter as a sex slave
- That non believers should be burned
- That women should not be able to teach men and should be silent
- That it's okay to keep a Jewish slave and keep his wife and children as slaves

Though I suspect I already know the answer... but would like to hear you say it...
MVmushroom: says:
"So come on Welshmen, tell us... what do you think we should do with a religion that says;
- It's okay to sell your daughter as a sex slave
- That non believers should be burned
- That women should not be able to teach men and should be silent
- That it's okay to keep a Jewish slave and keep his wife and children as slaves

Though I suspect I already know the answer... but would like to hear you say it..."

Who's a clever veggie....and the answer is your Religion....
[quote][p][bold]GardenVarietyMushroo m[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]welshmen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]varteg1[/bold] wrote: I love it when using their own 'literature' to ruin their argument which invariably shows the distortion of truth and false claims for 'fact' These people are adept at obfuscation, the usual tactic being, when faced with incontrovertible real facts, they either turn their back on one or become so drastically agitated they resort to repetitive claptrap as though it will somehow absolve fact to make it disappear Terry B can destroy at a stroke, and more power to him for so doing. I just wish these religious fruitcakes would do us all a favour and go to where they are so obviously happy to see us all living...in some pathetic pre-medieval desert society, where health and wealth lay in the power of the sword and the everyday inhumanity that existed for the common herd of the day. Religion,m being based in fantasy is toxic to modern life, it is elitist, divisive and corrupt, far from making society cohesive it has the very opposite effect, as a fleeting glance at the current state of the middle east can affirm.[/p][/quote]Nice post and very truthful. This Country, most of Europe, America, and Canada are being colonised, by mainly immigrant people who want their Ideology "say so" Religion to dominate all of us, while some oppose this we are quickly rebuked speaking or debating their Religion. Government who are there to protect us, but they make laws to protect the growth of this Ideology, you have to ask your self, do our Government WANT this Ideology (Religion) to rule our Country, as until now I see no answer to this threat on all of us, if your either Christian, Jew, or an atheist make's no difference, for this Ideology is instructed to deal with those who do not believe as them. You might think what I have said is a bit far fetched, but, and it's not a big but, look around you, see what's happening here and all the other places I have mentioned, people are getting very concerned, you can attack me for what I have said here or support what I have said, don't let the PC brigade shut us up....[/p][/quote]So come on Welshmen, tell us... what do you think we should do with a religion that says; - It's okay to sell your daughter as a sex slave - That non believers should be burned - That women should not be able to teach men and should be silent - That it's okay to keep a Jewish slave and keep his wife and children as slaves Though I suspect I already know the answer... but would like to hear you say it...[/p][/quote]MVmushroom: says: "So come on Welshmen, tell us... what do you think we should do with a religion that says; - It's okay to sell your daughter as a sex slave - That non believers should be burned - That women should not be able to teach men and should be silent - That it's okay to keep a Jewish slave and keep his wife and children as slaves Though I suspect I already know the answer... but would like to hear you say it..." Who's a clever veggie....and the answer is your Religion.... welshmen
  • Score: 1

9:42pm Wed 12 Feb 14

GardenVarietyMushroom says...

welshmen wrote:
GardenVarietyMushroo

m
wrote:
welshmen wrote:
varteg1 wrote:
I love it when using their own 'literature' to ruin their argument which invariably shows the distortion of truth and false claims for 'fact'

These people are adept at obfuscation, the usual tactic being, when faced with incontrovertible real facts, they either turn their back on one or become so drastically agitated they resort to repetitive claptrap as though it will somehow absolve fact to make it disappear

Terry B can destroy at a stroke, and more power to him for so doing.
I just wish these religious fruitcakes would do us all a favour and go to where they are so obviously happy to see us all living...in some pathetic pre-medieval desert society, where health and wealth lay in the power of the sword and the everyday inhumanity that existed for the common herd of the day.

Religion,m being based in fantasy is toxic to modern life, it is elitist, divisive and corrupt, far from making society cohesive it has the very opposite effect, as a fleeting glance at the current state of the middle east can affirm.
Nice post and very truthful.

This Country, most of Europe, America, and Canada are being colonised, by mainly immigrant people who want their Ideology "say so" Religion to dominate all of us, while some oppose this we are quickly rebuked speaking or debating their Religion.

Government who are there to protect us, but they make laws to protect the growth of this Ideology, you have to ask your self, do our Government WANT this Ideology (Religion) to rule our Country, as until now I see no answer to this threat on all of us, if your either Christian, Jew, or an atheist make's no difference, for this Ideology is instructed to deal with those who do not believe as them.

You might think what I have said is a bit far fetched, but, and it's not a big but, look around you, see what's happening here and all the other places I have mentioned, people are getting very concerned, you can attack me for what I have said here or support what I have said, don't let the PC brigade shut us up....
So come on Welshmen, tell us... what do you think we should do with a religion that says;
- It's okay to sell your daughter as a sex slave
- That non believers should be burned
- That women should not be able to teach men and should be silent
- That it's okay to keep a Jewish slave and keep his wife and children as slaves

Though I suspect I already know the answer... but would like to hear you say it...
MVmushroom: says:
"So come on Welshmen, tell us... what do you think we should do with a religion that says;
- It's okay to sell your daughter as a sex slave
- That non believers should be burned
- That women should not be able to teach men and should be silent
- That it's okay to keep a Jewish slave and keep his wife and children as slaves

Though I suspect I already know the answer... but would like to hear you say it..."

Who's a clever veggie....and the answer is your Religion....
Well, I'm reasonably clever, and a veggie... so I guess that must be me :)

And again, anarchist mate, I don't have a religion 'No Gods, No Masters' is our creed. Well, mostly anyways. There are the Christian Anarchists who believe that god is the only true authority and anyone, like the state, who claim to supercede that authority are false and ought to be opposed. They also think that anyone who venerates the state, (patriots) are idolators. Kind of makes you wonder about people who claim to be both Christian and Patriots doesn't it? Leo Tolstoy, the chap who wrote War and Peace, is the most notable. They're really just one of the fringe groupings though. And like Anarcho-capitalists, the debate goes on regarding whether or not they're acceptable to the wider movement.

Just to elaborate on my original question...
- It's okay to sell your daughter as a sex slave (Exodus 21.7.11)
- That non believers should be burned (John 15.6)
- That women should not be able to teach men and should be silent (Timothy 2.11.12) & (Corinthians 14.34.35)
- That it's okay to keep a Jewish slave and keep his wife and children as slaves (Exodus 21.1.6)
[quote][p][bold]welshmen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GardenVarietyMushroo m[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]welshmen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]varteg1[/bold] wrote: I love it when using their own 'literature' to ruin their argument which invariably shows the distortion of truth and false claims for 'fact' These people are adept at obfuscation, the usual tactic being, when faced with incontrovertible real facts, they either turn their back on one or become so drastically agitated they resort to repetitive claptrap as though it will somehow absolve fact to make it disappear Terry B can destroy at a stroke, and more power to him for so doing. I just wish these religious fruitcakes would do us all a favour and go to where they are so obviously happy to see us all living...in some pathetic pre-medieval desert society, where health and wealth lay in the power of the sword and the everyday inhumanity that existed for the common herd of the day. Religion,m being based in fantasy is toxic to modern life, it is elitist, divisive and corrupt, far from making society cohesive it has the very opposite effect, as a fleeting glance at the current state of the middle east can affirm.[/p][/quote]Nice post and very truthful. This Country, most of Europe, America, and Canada are being colonised, by mainly immigrant people who want their Ideology "say so" Religion to dominate all of us, while some oppose this we are quickly rebuked speaking or debating their Religion. Government who are there to protect us, but they make laws to protect the growth of this Ideology, you have to ask your self, do our Government WANT this Ideology (Religion) to rule our Country, as until now I see no answer to this threat on all of us, if your either Christian, Jew, or an atheist make's no difference, for this Ideology is instructed to deal with those who do not believe as them. You might think what I have said is a bit far fetched, but, and it's not a big but, look around you, see what's happening here and all the other places I have mentioned, people are getting very concerned, you can attack me for what I have said here or support what I have said, don't let the PC brigade shut us up....[/p][/quote]So come on Welshmen, tell us... what do you think we should do with a religion that says; - It's okay to sell your daughter as a sex slave - That non believers should be burned - That women should not be able to teach men and should be silent - That it's okay to keep a Jewish slave and keep his wife and children as slaves Though I suspect I already know the answer... but would like to hear you say it...[/p][/quote]MVmushroom: says: "So come on Welshmen, tell us... what do you think we should do with a religion that says; - It's okay to sell your daughter as a sex slave - That non believers should be burned - That women should not be able to teach men and should be silent - That it's okay to keep a Jewish slave and keep his wife and children as slaves Though I suspect I already know the answer... but would like to hear you say it..." Who's a clever veggie....and the answer is your Religion....[/p][/quote]Well, I'm reasonably clever, and a veggie... so I guess that must be me :) And again, anarchist mate, I don't have a religion 'No Gods, No Masters' is our creed. Well, mostly anyways. There are the Christian Anarchists who believe that god is the only true authority and anyone, like the state, who claim to supercede that authority are false and ought to be opposed. They also think that anyone who venerates the state, (patriots) are idolators. Kind of makes you wonder about people who claim to be both Christian and Patriots doesn't it? Leo Tolstoy, the chap who wrote War and Peace, is the most notable. They're really just one of the fringe groupings though. And like Anarcho-capitalists, the debate goes on regarding whether or not they're acceptable to the wider movement. Just to elaborate on my original question... - It's okay to sell your daughter as a sex slave (Exodus 21.7.11) - That non believers should be burned (John 15.6) - That women should not be able to teach men and should be silent (Timothy 2.11.12) & (Corinthians 14.34.35) - That it's okay to keep a Jewish slave and keep his wife and children as slaves (Exodus 21.1.6) GardenVarietyMushroom
  • Score: -1

9:53pm Thu 13 Feb 14

varteg1 says...

The listed extracts....


- It's okay to sell your daughter as a sex slave (Exodus 21.7.11)
- That non believers should be burned (John 15.6)
- That women should not be able to teach men and should be silent (Timothy 2.11.12) & (Corinthians 14.34.35)
- That it's okay to keep a Jewish slave and keep his wife and children as slaves (Exodus 21.1.6).....


.........are like files no one wishes to address, so to wriggle off the hook when challenged about such doctrinaire claptrap these people try to steer the discourse down a new path.

The source is full to the brim with such ambiguous and diverse zig zags it's a wonder they can even keep a straight face when attempting to counter by the use of such rubbish.

I am somewhat familiar with the Bible and Koran, and the twists and turns they make, where one bit countermands another, so taking a reasonable guess, I think the Torah follows the same sort of ambiguity and is just as open to a thousand interpretations which cause the same type of problems when any debate turns into an argument.

This is why there are so many sects and divisions in all the major religions, driving such to claw at one another's throats.

I suppose the same can be said of the Laws of the land, no wonder lawyers make a killing out of the problems of their clients, and I also suppose it is why so many politicians are nothing if not legal animals Could it be they are so politically motivated they enter the legislative process, so they can forever be on top of the laws they design and pass
into statute?
The listed extracts.... - It's okay to sell your daughter as a sex slave (Exodus 21.7.11) - That non believers should be burned (John 15.6) - That women should not be able to teach men and should be silent (Timothy 2.11.12) & (Corinthians 14.34.35) - That it's okay to keep a Jewish slave and keep his wife and children as slaves (Exodus 21.1.6)..... .........are like files no one wishes to address, so to wriggle off the hook when challenged about such doctrinaire claptrap these people try to steer the discourse down a new path. The source is full to the brim with such ambiguous and diverse zig zags it's a wonder they can even keep a straight face when attempting to counter by the use of such rubbish. I am somewhat familiar with the Bible and Koran, and the twists and turns they make, where one bit countermands another, so taking a reasonable guess, I think the Torah follows the same sort of ambiguity and is just as open to a thousand interpretations which cause the same type of problems when any debate turns into an argument. This is why there are so many sects and divisions in all the major religions, driving such to claw at one another's throats. I suppose the same can be said of the Laws of the land, no wonder lawyers make a killing out of the problems of their clients, and I also suppose it is why so many politicians are nothing if not legal animals Could it be they are so politically motivated they enter the legislative process, so they can forever be on top of the laws they design and pass into statute? varteg1
  • Score: 0

1:47pm Fri 14 Feb 14

throwy1 says...

Varteg1 familiar with the Quran and The Bible.......
Varteg1 familiar with the Quran and The Bible....... throwy1
  • Score: 0

10:34pm Fri 14 Feb 14

varteg1 says...

throwy1 wrote:
Varteg1 familiar with the Quran and The Bible.......
Unfortunately when a child, had much of the Christian Bible stuffed into me.. the Koran?. spent five years in the Cradle of Islam,where it was essential to study it in order to divert attention from the constant barrage of attempts to drag me into debate.

Not only that but as I grew older, with the Bible, it became necessary to have enough study to counter argue from a sound standpoint. The same with the Koran.

Actually the same applies to most written documents, I study and absorb whenever and whatever, so I can respond with sound foundation when certain silly commentary emanates from certain contributors to the likes of the Argus letters page.

MY extensive personal reference library and the Internet are to hand to substantiate whenever necessary.
[quote][p][bold]throwy1[/bold] wrote: Varteg1 familiar with the Quran and The Bible.......[/p][/quote]Unfortunately when a child, had much of the Christian Bible stuffed into me.. the Koran?. spent five years in the Cradle of Islam,where it was essential to study it in order to divert attention from the constant barrage of attempts to drag me into debate. Not only that but as I grew older, with the Bible, it became necessary to have enough study to counter argue from a sound standpoint. The same with the Koran. Actually the same applies to most written documents, I study and absorb whenever and whatever, so I can respond with sound foundation when certain silly commentary emanates from certain contributors to the likes of the Argus letters page. MY extensive personal reference library and the Internet are to hand to substantiate whenever necessary. varteg1
  • Score: 0

9:47pm Tue 18 Feb 14

taffymark says...

I would like to refer anyone interested, religious or not to read the book "GOD HATES YOU, HATE HIM BACK" by CJ Werleman, all bible bashers should read it and then check your holy books for reference, then sit back and have a think about it!
I would like to refer anyone interested, religious or not to read the book "GOD HATES YOU, HATE HIM BACK" by CJ Werleman, all bible bashers should read it and then check your holy books for reference, then sit back and have a think about it! taffymark
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree