Wedded change

First published in Letters

WHAT a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive,YOU don’t know whether to laugh or cry at the mess being created as parliament accommodates gay marriage.

Next month there will be sweeping changes to 700-year-old marriage laws to accommodate gay marriages, and make a mockery of true marriage. The wise and the ignorant in our government realise that same-sex marriage will require massive re-write of legislation dating back to 1285 AD – including airbrushing out the terms “husband” and “wife” from many of our laws.

Crucial safeguards will also have to be introduced to safeguard the Monarchy. The proposals include changing the law: To prevent a man from becoming Queen in the event a King “marries” another man. To prevent a man from becoming the Princess of Wales in the event that the heir to the throne enters a same-sex marriage. To stop the “husband” of a male peer being referred to as Duchess, Lady or Countess. To replace the terms “husband” and “wife” with “partner” or “spouse” in a huge raft of English law.

Re-defining marriage (tells us something about the present day mind-set of our politicians) means rewriting our language as well as our laws. Thousands of laws would need to be changed, with far-reaching consequences, flowing from redefining marriage.

There will need to be further changes to clear up the mess created by the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act. Parliament may have changed the law, but no amount of legislation can take away the truth, that true marriage is between “one man” and “one woman”.

Norman Plaisted Vivian Road Newport

Comments (12)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:06pm Tue 4 Mar 14

jimmytheone2 says...

Norman, you protest far too much. You can't let this go, it's an obsession. I think you're trying to throw a smokescreen. C'mon, come out of the closet, give in to your true feelings....
Norman, you protest far too much. You can't let this go, it's an obsession. I think you're trying to throw a smokescreen. C'mon, come out of the closet, give in to your true feelings.... jimmytheone2
  • Score: 3

2:06pm Tue 4 Mar 14

Walter Devereux says...

Read the first sentence... scroll down to see who wrote it... ignore the rest.
Read the first sentence... scroll down to see who wrote it... ignore the rest. Walter Devereux
  • Score: 0

2:22pm Tue 4 Mar 14

Realist UK says...

Well said Norman. Cameron is pandering to a minority group who feel more persecuted than a Syrian Christian. It's comforting to see that some people maintain traditional values and not be influenced by current fashionable views.
Well said Norman. Cameron is pandering to a minority group who feel more persecuted than a Syrian Christian. It's comforting to see that some people maintain traditional values and not be influenced by current fashionable views. Realist UK
  • Score: 5

4:56pm Tue 4 Mar 14

Dave1234567 says...

Norman is absolutely right on this issue, and congratulations for saying so. This could well be the reason why Cameron loses the general election - I for one will not vote for him because of this.
Norman is absolutely right on this issue, and congratulations for saying so. This could well be the reason why Cameron loses the general election - I for one will not vote for him because of this. Dave1234567
  • Score: 1

5:03pm Tue 4 Mar 14

Llanmartinangel says...

What you say may all be true Norman but, as far as I can see, no-one really gives a frig and frankly, why should they. In fact, had you not brought the subject up (yet again), I would have forgotten about it ages back. It's about the only law parliament has enacted in 100 years which hasn't cost somebody something so give them credit for that at least. You and your missus can carry on in your merry way and so can same sex couples. No-one died. Get over it.
What you say may all be true Norman but, as far as I can see, no-one really gives a frig and frankly, why should they. In fact, had you not brought the subject up (yet again), I would have forgotten about it ages back. It's about the only law parliament has enacted in 100 years which hasn't cost somebody something so give them credit for that at least. You and your missus can carry on in your merry way and so can same sex couples. No-one died. Get over it. Llanmartinangel
  • Score: 10

10:18am Wed 5 Mar 14

snappersearch says...

You don't know whether to laugh or cry? What about simply ignoring it or, if that proves too difficult, rejoicing in the fact that nobody is going to get hurt by it. You can't say that about many changes in legislation, can you?
You don't know whether to laugh or cry? What about simply ignoring it or, if that proves too difficult, rejoicing in the fact that nobody is going to get hurt by it. You can't say that about many changes in legislation, can you? snappersearch
  • Score: 4

10:56am Wed 5 Mar 14

GardenVarietyMushroom says...

Mr. Plaisted is entitled to his opnion of course, regardless that most of us think he's a loon.

He does raise an interesting point though in this letter - about the Monarchy. One has to wonder whether a future Queen and Queen of Great Britain is on the cards, or whether they will indeed, impose legislation to prevent it.
Mr. Plaisted is entitled to his opnion of course, regardless that most of us think he's a loon. He does raise an interesting point though in this letter - about the Monarchy. One has to wonder whether a future Queen and Queen of Great Britain is on the cards, or whether they will indeed, impose legislation to prevent it. GardenVarietyMushroom
  • Score: 1

12:54pm Wed 5 Mar 14

snappersearch says...

I'd welcome anything that would bring that lot up to date. The royals aren't above the law, so how would an heir be produced? Adoption of an African baby?
I'd welcome anything that would bring that lot up to date. The royals aren't above the law, so how would an heir be produced? Adoption of an African baby? snappersearch
  • Score: 6

1:41pm Wed 5 Mar 14

Captain Tripps says...

Dave1234567 wrote:
Norman is absolutely right on this issue, and congratulations for saying so. This could well be the reason why Cameron loses the general election - I for one will not vote for him because of this.
As a lifelong voter of the Conservative Party neither will I . They just seem hellbent on destroying our traditions . Shame on you Mr Cameron . Churchill will be spinning in his grave .
[quote][p][bold]Dave1234567[/bold] wrote: Norman is absolutely right on this issue, and congratulations for saying so. This could well be the reason why Cameron loses the general election - I for one will not vote for him because of this.[/p][/quote]As a lifelong voter of the Conservative Party neither will I . They just seem hellbent on destroying our traditions . Shame on you Mr Cameron . Churchill will be spinning in his grave . Captain Tripps
  • Score: -3

4:08pm Wed 5 Mar 14

GardenVarietyMushroom says...

Captain Tripps wrote:
Dave1234567 wrote:
Norman is absolutely right on this issue, and congratulations for saying so. This could well be the reason why Cameron loses the general election - I for one will not vote for him because of this.
As a lifelong voter of the Conservative Party neither will I . They just seem hellbent on destroying our traditions . Shame on you Mr Cameron . Churchill will be spinning in his grave .
Lol - shows what you know. Churchill was gay - or at least bisexual.
[quote][p][bold]Captain Tripps[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dave1234567[/bold] wrote: Norman is absolutely right on this issue, and congratulations for saying so. This could well be the reason why Cameron loses the general election - I for one will not vote for him because of this.[/p][/quote]As a lifelong voter of the Conservative Party neither will I . They just seem hellbent on destroying our traditions . Shame on you Mr Cameron . Churchill will be spinning in his grave .[/p][/quote]Lol - shows what you know. Churchill was gay - or at least bisexual. GardenVarietyMushroom
  • Score: 1

4:27pm Wed 5 Mar 14

GardenVarietyMushroom says...

snappersearch wrote:
I'd welcome anything that would bring that lot up to date. The royals aren't above the law, so how would an heir be produced? Adoption of an African baby?
Lol - that would be funny.

Wouldn't be the first gay monarch though, so perhaps they've already found a war around it.
[quote][p][bold]snappersearch[/bold] wrote: I'd welcome anything that would bring that lot up to date. The royals aren't above the law, so how would an heir be produced? Adoption of an African baby?[/p][/quote]Lol - that would be funny. Wouldn't be the first gay monarch though, so perhaps they've already found a war around it. GardenVarietyMushroom
  • Score: 1

11:39am Thu 6 Mar 14

Mike Roland says...

Captain Tripps wrote:
Dave1234567 wrote:
Norman is absolutely right on this issue, and congratulations for saying so. This could well be the reason why Cameron loses the general election - I for one will not vote for him because of this.
As a lifelong voter of the Conservative Party neither will I . They just seem hellbent on destroying our traditions . Shame on you Mr Cameron . Churchill will be spinning in his grave .
Churchill has been dead for almost fifty years. Things have moved on!!
[quote][p][bold]Captain Tripps[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Dave1234567[/bold] wrote: Norman is absolutely right on this issue, and congratulations for saying so. This could well be the reason why Cameron loses the general election - I for one will not vote for him because of this.[/p][/quote]As a lifelong voter of the Conservative Party neither will I . They just seem hellbent on destroying our traditions . Shame on you Mr Cameron . Churchill will be spinning in his grave .[/p][/quote]Churchill has been dead for almost fifty years. Things have moved on!! Mike Roland
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree