Fair wage rates

I CHALLENGE every political party to include in their general election manifesto to reform the Barnet Formula so that Wales get a fairer funding. Also raise wages to the living wage, this will stop the need for people to go cap in hand to the working tax credits department. With less people claiming would mean a cut in staff at the tax credit department.

Andrew Nutt Heolddu Road Bargoed

Comments (23)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:54pm Tue 4 Mar 14

whatintheworld says...

increasing wales' share of the barnett formula would result in scotlands being reduced.

not gonna happen while the referendum is on unfortuanatly
increasing wales' share of the barnett formula would result in scotlands being reduced. not gonna happen while the referendum is on unfortuanatly whatintheworld
  • Score: -2

2:00pm Tue 4 Mar 14

Llanmartinangel says...

I think before they consider increasing Wales' share of the handout they would need some reassurance that what is already sent here is spent wisely. Cough cough 'airports' cough 'Welsh language' cough '400 more civil servants for WAG to the detriment of the hospitals here' cough.
I think before they consider increasing Wales' share of the handout they would need some reassurance that what is already sent here is spent wisely. Cough cough 'airports' cough 'Welsh language' cough '400 more civil servants for WAG to the detriment of the hospitals here' cough. Llanmartinangel
  • Score: 11

2:04pm Tue 4 Mar 14

Walter Devereux says...

More nationalist droning... How do you define "fairer funding"? One man's "fairer funding" is another's unfair advantage. Where will this funding go? You claim you do not want people claiming working tax credits, but what else do you want the money for if not for hand outs? Which wages need raising to the "living wage"? If you are smart enough and motivated enough you can already earn more than the "living wage", whatever you consider that to be. One final point, if you must continue writing these boring nationalist diatribes, at least learn a bit of grammar: it is "fewer people", not "less people".
More nationalist droning... How do you define "fairer funding"? One man's "fairer funding" is another's unfair advantage. Where will this funding go? You claim you do not want people claiming working tax credits, but what else do you want the money for if not for hand outs? Which wages need raising to the "living wage"? If you are smart enough and motivated enough you can already earn more than the "living wage", whatever you consider that to be. One final point, if you must continue writing these boring nationalist diatribes, at least learn a bit of grammar: it is "fewer people", not "less people". Walter Devereux
  • Score: 3

2:16pm Tue 4 Mar 14

Realist UK says...

Too simplistic. Without tackling the issue of employers advertising for cheap labour in Eastern Europe, then bussing them over to fill vacancies, the living wage remains a myth.
Too simplistic. Without tackling the issue of employers advertising for cheap labour in Eastern Europe, then bussing them over to fill vacancies, the living wage remains a myth. Realist UK
  • Score: 3

2:53pm Tue 4 Mar 14

GardenVarietyMushroom says...

Walter Devereux wrote:
More nationalist droning... How do you define "fairer funding"? One man's "fairer funding" is another's unfair advantage. Where will this funding go? You claim you do not want people claiming working tax credits, but what else do you want the money for if not for hand outs? Which wages need raising to the "living wage"? If you are smart enough and motivated enough you can already earn more than the "living wage", whatever you consider that to be. One final point, if you must continue writing these boring nationalist diatribes, at least learn a bit of grammar: it is "fewer people", not "less people".
What a dick.










How was my grammar?
[quote][p][bold]Walter Devereux[/bold] wrote: More nationalist droning... How do you define "fairer funding"? One man's "fairer funding" is another's unfair advantage. Where will this funding go? You claim you do not want people claiming working tax credits, but what else do you want the money for if not for hand outs? Which wages need raising to the "living wage"? If you are smart enough and motivated enough you can already earn more than the "living wage", whatever you consider that to be. One final point, if you must continue writing these boring nationalist diatribes, at least learn a bit of grammar: it is "fewer people", not "less people".[/p][/quote]What a dick. How was my grammar? GardenVarietyMushroom
  • Score: 1

3:37pm Tue 4 Mar 14

BobEvams2014 says...

GardenVarietyMushroo
m
wrote:
Walter Devereux wrote: More nationalist droning... How do you define "fairer funding"? One man's "fairer funding" is another's unfair advantage. Where will this funding go? You claim you do not want people claiming working tax credits, but what else do you want the money for if not for hand outs? Which wages need raising to the "living wage"? If you are smart enough and motivated enough you can already earn more than the "living wage", whatever you consider that to be. One final point, if you must continue writing these boring nationalist diatribes, at least learn a bit of grammar: it is "fewer people", not "less people".
What a dick. How was my grammar?
I'm sure shes a very nice old lady ??? But I fail to see the relevence to this thread ?
[quote][p][bold]GardenVarietyMushroo m[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Walter Devereux[/bold] wrote: More nationalist droning... How do you define "fairer funding"? One man's "fairer funding" is another's unfair advantage. Where will this funding go? You claim you do not want people claiming working tax credits, but what else do you want the money for if not for hand outs? Which wages need raising to the "living wage"? If you are smart enough and motivated enough you can already earn more than the "living wage", whatever you consider that to be. One final point, if you must continue writing these boring nationalist diatribes, at least learn a bit of grammar: it is "fewer people", not "less people".[/p][/quote]What a dick. How was my grammar?[/p][/quote]I'm sure shes a very nice old lady ??? But I fail to see the relevence to this thread ? BobEvams2014
  • Score: 1

3:49pm Tue 4 Mar 14

Bobevans says...

Wales seems hardly short of money and already gets far more than its fair share.. Perhaps the WAG should not be wasting so much money and improving the economy of Wales. So far since the existence of the WAG it has underperformed the rest of the UK every year bar one
Wales seems hardly short of money and already gets far more than its fair share.. Perhaps the WAG should not be wasting so much money and improving the economy of Wales. So far since the existence of the WAG it has underperformed the rest of the UK every year bar one Bobevans
  • Score: 7

4:25pm Tue 4 Mar 14

welshmen says...

Simple facts, flood the job market with cheaper than cheap labour and the result is bosses fork out less per hour, on the other hand, the job market is very short of cheaper than cheap labour, the bosses have to fork out more per hour....and we all know where this Country is in the British job market....
Simple facts, flood the job market with cheaper than cheap labour and the result is bosses fork out less per hour, on the other hand, the job market is very short of cheaper than cheap labour, the bosses have to fork out more per hour....and we all know where this Country is in the British job market.... welshmen
  • Score: 1

7:52pm Tue 4 Mar 14

Mervyn James says...

I support Wales, but we cannot keep asking England for more and more money,when they are hell bent on reducing everything. Most of the money comes not from Taxes, but from gambling in the City of London. The Pro-UK club here will just try to score points off the WAG, don't feed them ammunition. basically they have no answer either to the question of funding Wales apart from handing Wales over to Westminster as some outpost of England, in the hope a Tory government will come to Wales and solve all our problems. They have no interest in Wales, we have an ageing/sick population, next to no industry, no resources they can exploit, an NHS that has about 5 years left in it, and a que of do-or-die UK/England supporters here with their hands out.

No wonder they aren't rushing in with their cheque book. We are going to have to go down a whole lot further before we start going up again. Only our own government can ensure they don't steam in again to destroy what little is still left.
I support Wales, but we cannot keep asking England for more and more money,when they are hell bent on reducing everything. Most of the money comes not from Taxes, but from gambling in the City of London. The Pro-UK club here will just try to score points off the WAG, don't feed them ammunition. basically they have no answer either to the question of funding Wales apart from handing Wales over to Westminster as some outpost of England, in the hope a Tory government will come to Wales and solve all our problems. They have no interest in Wales, we have an ageing/sick population, next to no industry, no resources they can exploit, an NHS that has about 5 years left in it, and a que of do-or-die UK/England supporters here with their hands out. No wonder they aren't rushing in with their cheque book. We are going to have to go down a whole lot further before we start going up again. Only our own government can ensure they don't steam in again to destroy what little is still left. Mervyn James
  • Score: -8

10:32pm Tue 4 Mar 14

pwlldu says...

Walter Devereux says... if your caught in the tax credit system, a person is stuck with the same hours and can't get any overtime. As the tax credit will change and if you don't tell them of any change you end up owing the tax credit.
Walter Devereux says... if your caught in the tax credit system, a person is stuck with the same hours and can't get any overtime. As the tax credit will change and if you don't tell them of any change you end up owing the tax credit. pwlldu
  • Score: -2

2:50pm Wed 5 Mar 14

whatintheworld says...

Bobevans wrote:
Wales seems hardly short of money and already gets far more than its fair share.. Perhaps the WAG should not be wasting so much money and improving the economy of Wales. So far since the existence of the WAG it has underperformed the rest of the UK every year bar one
Do you have any evidence to support your claim that Wales "gets far more than its fair share"? I suspect you do not.
[quote][p][bold]Bobevans[/bold] wrote: Wales seems hardly short of money and already gets far more than its fair share.. Perhaps the WAG should not be wasting so much money and improving the economy of Wales. So far since the existence of the WAG it has underperformed the rest of the UK every year bar one[/p][/quote]Do you have any evidence to support your claim that Wales "gets far more than its fair share"? I suspect you do not. whatintheworld
  • Score: 3

3:34pm Wed 5 Mar 14

endthelies says...

BobEvams2014 wrote:
GardenVarietyMushroo

m
wrote:
Walter Devereux wrote: More nationalist droning... How do you define "fairer funding"? One man's "fairer funding" is another's unfair advantage. Where will this funding go? You claim you do not want people claiming working tax credits, but what else do you want the money for if not for hand outs? Which wages need raising to the "living wage"? If you are smart enough and motivated enough you can already earn more than the "living wage", whatever you consider that to be. One final point, if you must continue writing these boring nationalist diatribes, at least learn a bit of grammar: it is "fewer people", not "less people".
What a dick. How was my grammar?
I'm sure shes a very nice old lady ??? But I fail to see the relevence to this thread ?
Very funny Bob :) (well it made me giggle anyway so thanks) xx
[quote][p][bold]BobEvams2014[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GardenVarietyMushroo m[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Walter Devereux[/bold] wrote: More nationalist droning... How do you define "fairer funding"? One man's "fairer funding" is another's unfair advantage. Where will this funding go? You claim you do not want people claiming working tax credits, but what else do you want the money for if not for hand outs? Which wages need raising to the "living wage"? If you are smart enough and motivated enough you can already earn more than the "living wage", whatever you consider that to be. One final point, if you must continue writing these boring nationalist diatribes, at least learn a bit of grammar: it is "fewer people", not "less people".[/p][/quote]What a dick. How was my grammar?[/p][/quote]I'm sure shes a very nice old lady ??? But I fail to see the relevence to this thread ?[/p][/quote]Very funny Bob :) (well it made me giggle anyway so thanks) xx endthelies
  • Score: 2

3:58pm Wed 5 Mar 14

Mr Angry says...

whatintheworld wrote:
Bobevans wrote: Wales seems hardly short of money and already gets far more than its fair share.. Perhaps the WAG should not be wasting so much money and improving the economy of Wales. So far since the existence of the WAG it has underperformed the rest of the UK every year bar one
Do you have any evidence to support your claim that Wales "gets far more than its fair share"? I suspect you do not.
The Barnett formula actually underfunds Wales, dont tell old Bob though he'd never believe it
[quote][p][bold]whatintheworld[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bobevans[/bold] wrote: Wales seems hardly short of money and already gets far more than its fair share.. Perhaps the WAG should not be wasting so much money and improving the economy of Wales. So far since the existence of the WAG it has underperformed the rest of the UK every year bar one[/p][/quote]Do you have any evidence to support your claim that Wales "gets far more than its fair share"? I suspect you do not.[/p][/quote]The Barnett formula actually underfunds Wales, dont tell old Bob though he'd never believe it Mr Angry
  • Score: -1

4:21pm Wed 5 Mar 14

Bobevans says...

Mr Angry wrote:
whatintheworld wrote:
Bobevans wrote: Wales seems hardly short of money and already gets far more than its fair share.. Perhaps the WAG should not be wasting so much money and improving the economy of Wales. So far since the existence of the WAG it has underperformed the rest of the UK every year bar one
Do you have any evidence to support your claim that Wales "gets far more than its fair share"? I suspect you do not.
The Barnett formula actually underfunds Wales, dont tell old Bob though he'd never believe it
Per head of population Wales gets far more and by GDP per person in Wales it gets dramatically more. It is more down to the WAG turning wales into an economic failure . Whilst the rest of the UKL see's GDP growing in Wales it is shrinking So poor is productivity in Wales now more and more companies are leaving Wales
[quote][p][bold]Mr Angry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]whatintheworld[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bobevans[/bold] wrote: Wales seems hardly short of money and already gets far more than its fair share.. Perhaps the WAG should not be wasting so much money and improving the economy of Wales. So far since the existence of the WAG it has underperformed the rest of the UK every year bar one[/p][/quote]Do you have any evidence to support your claim that Wales "gets far more than its fair share"? I suspect you do not.[/p][/quote]The Barnett formula actually underfunds Wales, dont tell old Bob though he'd never believe it[/p][/quote]Per head of population Wales gets far more and by GDP per person in Wales it gets dramatically more. It is more down to the WAG turning wales into an economic failure . Whilst the rest of the UKL see's GDP growing in Wales it is shrinking So poor is productivity in Wales now more and more companies are leaving Wales Bobevans
  • Score: -1

7:22pm Wed 5 Mar 14

Mervyn James says...

Wales was in trouble before the Assembly took over, Thatcher had destroyed all the industry Wales had, the coal and steel industries went to the wall, destroyed by a vindictive and crazy Tory, who used almost a third of the UK's entire oil revenue to do it. Now people blame an Assembly because their memories are less than a goldfish's. All the money wales gets does not cover the very basics of a Welsh economy,but critics here have no answer that is any better than an Assembly we can at least get in touch with. Get behind the Assembly, get behind Wales, we are masters of our own futures, so quit the carping, and cut the begging.
Wales was in trouble before the Assembly took over, Thatcher had destroyed all the industry Wales had, the coal and steel industries went to the wall, destroyed by a vindictive and crazy Tory, who used almost a third of the UK's entire oil revenue to do it. Now people blame an Assembly because their memories are less than a goldfish's. All the money wales gets does not cover the very basics of a Welsh economy,but critics here have no answer that is any better than an Assembly we can at least get in touch with. Get behind the Assembly, get behind Wales, we are masters of our own futures, so quit the carping, and cut the begging. Mervyn James
  • Score: -2

9:45pm Wed 5 Mar 14

scraptheWAG says...

Mervyn James wrote:
Wales was in trouble before the Assembly took over, Thatcher had destroyed all the industry Wales had, the coal and steel industries went to the wall, destroyed by a vindictive and crazy Tory, who used almost a third of the UK's entire oil revenue to do it. Now people blame an Assembly because their memories are less than a goldfish's. All the money wales gets does not cover the very basics of a Welsh economy,but critics here have no answer that is any better than an Assembly we can at least get in touch with. Get behind the Assembly, get behind Wales, we are masters of our own futures, so quit the carping, and cut the begging.
tell me this merv how do you explain how all the town up the m4 are prosperous then you hit the severn bridge and then its like a third world country
[quote][p][bold]Mervyn James[/bold] wrote: Wales was in trouble before the Assembly took over, Thatcher had destroyed all the industry Wales had, the coal and steel industries went to the wall, destroyed by a vindictive and crazy Tory, who used almost a third of the UK's entire oil revenue to do it. Now people blame an Assembly because their memories are less than a goldfish's. All the money wales gets does not cover the very basics of a Welsh economy,but critics here have no answer that is any better than an Assembly we can at least get in touch with. Get behind the Assembly, get behind Wales, we are masters of our own futures, so quit the carping, and cut the begging.[/p][/quote]tell me this merv how do you explain how all the town up the m4 are prosperous then you hit the severn bridge and then its like a third world country scraptheWAG
  • Score: 0

10:49pm Wed 5 Mar 14

Bobevans says...

Mervyn James wrote:
Wales was in trouble before the Assembly took over, Thatcher had destroyed all the industry Wales had, the coal and steel industries went to the wall, destroyed by a vindictive and crazy Tory, who used almost a third of the UK's entire oil revenue to do it. Now people blame an Assembly because their memories are less than a goldfish's. All the money wales gets does not cover the very basics of a Welsh economy,but critics here have no answer that is any better than an Assembly we can at least get in touch with. Get behind the Assembly, get behind Wales, we are masters of our own futures, so quit the carping, and cut the begging.
How long are you going to keep trotting out that lames excuse. Thatcher was last in power over a quarter of a century ago
[quote][p][bold]Mervyn James[/bold] wrote: Wales was in trouble before the Assembly took over, Thatcher had destroyed all the industry Wales had, the coal and steel industries went to the wall, destroyed by a vindictive and crazy Tory, who used almost a third of the UK's entire oil revenue to do it. Now people blame an Assembly because their memories are less than a goldfish's. All the money wales gets does not cover the very basics of a Welsh economy,but critics here have no answer that is any better than an Assembly we can at least get in touch with. Get behind the Assembly, get behind Wales, we are masters of our own futures, so quit the carping, and cut the begging.[/p][/quote]How long are you going to keep trotting out that lames excuse. Thatcher was last in power over a quarter of a century ago Bobevans
  • Score: 4

10:51pm Wed 5 Mar 14

Bobevans says...

Mervyn James wrote:
Wales was in trouble before the Assembly took over, Thatcher had destroyed all the industry Wales had, the coal and steel industries went to the wall, destroyed by a vindictive and crazy Tory, who used almost a third of the UK's entire oil revenue to do it. Now people blame an Assembly because their memories are less than a goldfish's. All the money wales gets does not cover the very basics of a Welsh economy,but critics here have no answer that is any better than an Assembly we can at least get in touch with. Get behind the Assembly, get behind Wales, we are masters of our own futures, so quit the carping, and cut the begging.
More steel works have closed in Wales under the WAG then under Thatcher. More jobs have been lost under the WAG than under Thatcher. I guess that will be Thatchers fault as well
[quote][p][bold]Mervyn James[/bold] wrote: Wales was in trouble before the Assembly took over, Thatcher had destroyed all the industry Wales had, the coal and steel industries went to the wall, destroyed by a vindictive and crazy Tory, who used almost a third of the UK's entire oil revenue to do it. Now people blame an Assembly because their memories are less than a goldfish's. All the money wales gets does not cover the very basics of a Welsh economy,but critics here have no answer that is any better than an Assembly we can at least get in touch with. Get behind the Assembly, get behind Wales, we are masters of our own futures, so quit the carping, and cut the begging.[/p][/quote]More steel works have closed in Wales under the WAG then under Thatcher. More jobs have been lost under the WAG than under Thatcher. I guess that will be Thatchers fault as well Bobevans
  • Score: 0

10:40am Thu 6 Mar 14

pwlldu says...

Both Labour and Tories sold off our countries family jewels because they couldn't be bothered to invest. Short term gain for long term pain.
Both Labour and Tories sold off our countries family jewels because they couldn't be bothered to invest. Short term gain for long term pain. pwlldu
  • Score: -1

5:56pm Thu 6 Mar 14

welshmen says...

pwlldu wrote:
Both Labour and Tories sold off our countries family jewels because they couldn't be bothered to invest. Short term gain for long term pain.
The British National Party will invest in our Country...big style....
[quote][p][bold]pwlldu[/bold] wrote: Both Labour and Tories sold off our countries family jewels because they couldn't be bothered to invest. Short term gain for long term pain.[/p][/quote]The British National Party will invest in our Country...big style.... welshmen
  • Score: 0

9:48pm Thu 6 Mar 14

pwlldu says...

welshmen says... BNP with their right wing Union flag (butchers apron) jack boots.
welshmen says... BNP with their right wing Union flag (butchers apron) jack boots. pwlldu
  • Score: 0

6:45pm Fri 7 Mar 14

Mervyn James says...

Bobevans wrote:
Mervyn James wrote:
Wales was in trouble before the Assembly took over, Thatcher had destroyed all the industry Wales had, the coal and steel industries went to the wall, destroyed by a vindictive and crazy Tory, who used almost a third of the UK's entire oil revenue to do it. Now people blame an Assembly because their memories are less than a goldfish's. All the money wales gets does not cover the very basics of a Welsh economy,but critics here have no answer that is any better than an Assembly we can at least get in touch with. Get behind the Assembly, get behind Wales, we are masters of our own futures, so quit the carping, and cut the begging.
How long are you going to keep trotting out that lames excuse. Thatcher was last in power over a quarter of a century ago
Wales never recovered, it was nation dependent on coal and steel, nothing came in to replace it but hi-tech tin sheds that stayed empty after Korea and Japan ran off with the freebies they were given to set up shop. LG was one of them as we know. Unless we keep the tories out we can never recover. To blame the Assembly is just stupid, the damage as already done. The bridge can take you two ways Here or....... you can still go to England where the streets are paved with migrant gold.
[quote][p][bold]Bobevans[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mervyn James[/bold] wrote: Wales was in trouble before the Assembly took over, Thatcher had destroyed all the industry Wales had, the coal and steel industries went to the wall, destroyed by a vindictive and crazy Tory, who used almost a third of the UK's entire oil revenue to do it. Now people blame an Assembly because their memories are less than a goldfish's. All the money wales gets does not cover the very basics of a Welsh economy,but critics here have no answer that is any better than an Assembly we can at least get in touch with. Get behind the Assembly, get behind Wales, we are masters of our own futures, so quit the carping, and cut the begging.[/p][/quote]How long are you going to keep trotting out that lames excuse. Thatcher was last in power over a quarter of a century ago[/p][/quote]Wales never recovered, it was nation dependent on coal and steel, nothing came in to replace it but hi-tech tin sheds that stayed empty after Korea and Japan ran off with the freebies they were given to set up shop. LG was one of them as we know. Unless we keep the tories out we can never recover. To blame the Assembly is just stupid, the damage as already done. The bridge can take you two ways Here or....... you can still go to England where the streets are paved with migrant gold. Mervyn James
  • Score: 1

9:24pm Sun 9 Mar 14

Bobevans says...

Mr Angry wrote:
whatintheworld wrote:
Bobevans wrote: Wales seems hardly short of money and already gets far more than its fair share.. Perhaps the WAG should not be wasting so much money and improving the economy of Wales. So far since the existence of the WAG it has underperformed the rest of the UK every year bar one
Do you have any evidence to support your claim that Wales "gets far more than its fair share"? I suspect you do not.
The Barnett formula actually underfunds Wales, dont tell old Bob though he'd never believe it
The Barnet funding overfunds Wales
[quote][p][bold]Mr Angry[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]whatintheworld[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bobevans[/bold] wrote: Wales seems hardly short of money and already gets far more than its fair share.. Perhaps the WAG should not be wasting so much money and improving the economy of Wales. So far since the existence of the WAG it has underperformed the rest of the UK every year bar one[/p][/quote]Do you have any evidence to support your claim that Wales "gets far more than its fair share"? I suspect you do not.[/p][/quote]The Barnett formula actually underfunds Wales, dont tell old Bob though he'd never believe it[/p][/quote]The Barnet funding overfunds Wales Bobevans
  • Score: -3

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree