Silk report fear

IT FILLS me with fear and dread that the Silk Report has actually suggested that that lot down on the Bay should be given more powers.

Considering the record of all parties in running our country, over the years, neither have covered themselves with glory, with the health service and education system being two highly important areas that have been poorly served.

Carwyn Jones’ comment when being criticised this week was: “We know we have a lot of challenges ahead for the country”. Yes, challenges that he and his like have caused to be taken up.

Also, in the Argus’s story about the Silk Report, of Tuesday this week, former Welsh government minister, Jane Davidson said that the largest group of people in Wales do want the Assembly to have more power. What largest group? Again, no explanation of whom they might be, but I’ll bet that that ‘group’ turn up every day in the glass house on the Bay.

Nigel Corten Newport

Comments (24)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:55pm Fri 7 Mar 14

welshannie says...

i agree with you whole hearted ly on this.the only ones who want increased power to the assembly are the ones already serving there.and they are by no means a majority o f anything ,most of them are a waste of space.
i agree with you whole hearted ly on this.the only ones who want increased power to the assembly are the ones already serving there.and they are by no means a majority o f anything ,most of them are a waste of space. welshannie
  • Score: 9

6:27pm Fri 7 Mar 14

Mervyn James says...

Power to the people, the people of Wales naturally. They were democratically voted in, if you want change then vote your way, however doing away with the Assembly won't be put to any vote, you had your chance. Unlike Westminster where we voted for none of them and they still tell us what to do.
Power to the people, the people of Wales naturally. They were democratically voted in, if you want change then vote your way, however doing away with the Assembly won't be put to any vote, you had your chance. Unlike Westminster where we voted for none of them and they still tell us what to do. Mervyn James
  • Score: -15

6:32pm Fri 7 Mar 14

Llanmartinangel says...

Mervyn James wrote:
Power to the people, the people of Wales naturally. They were democratically voted in, if you want change then vote your way, however doing away with the Assembly won't be put to any vote, you had your chance. Unlike Westminster where we voted for none of them and they still tell us what to do.
Power to the people? Are you deluded enough to think that the people of this region are in any way empowered by WAG? Then explain how the NHS is consistently the most important priority for the majority of voters and yet in Wales it's demise is being hastened by starvation funding due to spending on things most people don't give a frig about.
[quote][p][bold]Mervyn James[/bold] wrote: Power to the people, the people of Wales naturally. They were democratically voted in, if you want change then vote your way, however doing away with the Assembly won't be put to any vote, you had your chance. Unlike Westminster where we voted for none of them and they still tell us what to do.[/p][/quote]Power to the people? Are you deluded enough to think that the people of this region are in any way empowered by WAG? Then explain how the NHS is consistently the most important priority for the majority of voters and yet in Wales it's demise is being hastened by starvation funding due to spending on things most people don't give a frig about. Llanmartinangel
  • Score: 14

12:01pm Sat 8 Mar 14

Mervyn James says...

Prove it. You are the economist. Prove that what the WAG is given to spend on the NHS is anywhere near enough it needs for daily operation, they are seriously underfunded by 60%. if you remove the welsh language support and flog the airport (Which we know is to blame for everything from the Ukraine to the last war), even then, it won't make a minor dent on the NHS services. We are talking billions in shortages of funds, I give the NHS here 5 years at most. Which will no doubt suit the anti-WAG people here and fellow daily mail rabble. There is no money for basic elderly care which would keep a lot out of NHS hospitals. Again, dump the druggies, the fatties, the alcoholics, most of them clog up the system so that patients in real need cannot get help, why fund their care ? Or look after the drunks that infest our hospitals of a night-time and attack the staff. Lets talk sense first get your facts right at the real costs, then, YOU decide who gets the money and who doesn't. The money is simply NOT THERE to do what we want. rather than blame, why not suggest something practical.
Prove it. You are the economist. Prove that what the WAG is given to spend on the NHS is anywhere near enough it needs for daily operation, they are seriously underfunded by 60%. if you remove the welsh language support and flog the airport (Which we know is to blame for everything from the Ukraine to the last war), even then, it won't make a minor dent on the NHS services. We are talking billions in shortages of funds, I give the NHS here 5 years at most. Which will no doubt suit the anti-WAG people here and fellow daily mail rabble. There is no money for basic elderly care which would keep a lot out of NHS hospitals. Again, dump the druggies, the fatties, the alcoholics, most of them clog up the system so that patients in real need cannot get help, why fund their care ? Or look after the drunks that infest our hospitals of a night-time and attack the staff. Lets talk sense first get your facts right at the real costs, then, YOU decide who gets the money and who doesn't. The money is simply NOT THERE to do what we want. rather than blame, why not suggest something practical. Mervyn James
  • Score: -7

12:06pm Sat 8 Mar 14

coalpicker says...

The bell tolled very loudly for wales the early morning when the badger watcher ( Ron Davies) said ,and I quote,ITS BEEN A GREAT NIGHT FOR WALES, unquote , its been down hill ever since and gaining speed .Give them tax rising powers and the wheels will be falling off the gravy train .
The bell tolled very loudly for wales the early morning when the badger watcher ( Ron Davies) said ,and I quote,ITS BEEN A GREAT NIGHT FOR WALES, unquote , its been down hill ever since and gaining speed .Give them tax rising powers and the wheels will be falling off the gravy train . coalpicker
  • Score: 8

12:31pm Sat 8 Mar 14

Llanmartinangel says...

Mervyn James wrote:
Prove it. You are the economist. Prove that what the WAG is given to spend on the NHS is anywhere near enough it needs for daily operation, they are seriously underfunded by 60%. if you remove the welsh language support and flog the airport (Which we know is to blame for everything from the Ukraine to the last war), even then, it won't make a minor dent on the NHS services. We are talking billions in shortages of funds, I give the NHS here 5 years at most. Which will no doubt suit the anti-WAG people here and fellow daily mail rabble. There is no money for basic elderly care which would keep a lot out of NHS hospitals. Again, dump the druggies, the fatties, the alcoholics, most of them clog up the system so that patients in real need cannot get help, why fund their care ? Or look after the drunks that infest our hospitals of a night-time and attack the staff. Lets talk sense first get your facts right at the real costs, then, YOU decide who gets the money and who doesn't. The money is simply NOT THERE to do what we want. rather than blame, why not suggest something practical.
Why don't you enlighten us with your thoughts on just what this worthless slab of people on the public payroll have delivered for £7b in 14 years that was worth having? Because as far as I and most other commentators on here can see, things have got worse. No problem was ever solved by more politicians and civil servants.
[quote][p][bold]Mervyn James[/bold] wrote: Prove it. You are the economist. Prove that what the WAG is given to spend on the NHS is anywhere near enough it needs for daily operation, they are seriously underfunded by 60%. if you remove the welsh language support and flog the airport (Which we know is to blame for everything from the Ukraine to the last war), even then, it won't make a minor dent on the NHS services. We are talking billions in shortages of funds, I give the NHS here 5 years at most. Which will no doubt suit the anti-WAG people here and fellow daily mail rabble. There is no money for basic elderly care which would keep a lot out of NHS hospitals. Again, dump the druggies, the fatties, the alcoholics, most of them clog up the system so that patients in real need cannot get help, why fund their care ? Or look after the drunks that infest our hospitals of a night-time and attack the staff. Lets talk sense first get your facts right at the real costs, then, YOU decide who gets the money and who doesn't. The money is simply NOT THERE to do what we want. rather than blame, why not suggest something practical.[/p][/quote]Why don't you enlighten us with your thoughts on just what this worthless slab of people on the public payroll have delivered for £7b in 14 years that was worth having? Because as far as I and most other commentators on here can see, things have got worse. No problem was ever solved by more politicians and civil servants. Llanmartinangel
  • Score: 11

9:24pm Sat 8 Mar 14

pwlldu says...

When Thatcher closed the pits and introduced the poll tax, was there call to abolish Westminster NO. When Blair took Wales into a costly war in Iraq because of lies over weapons of mass destruction, was there call to abolish Westminster NO. As we got a useless Labour Welsh government the right wing unionist want to abolish the Welsh Assembly voted by the people of Wales. One of the problems Wales don't know who is in charge, the AM's in Cardiff or the MP's in London. Both RT Davis and Carwyn Jones seem just puppets.
When Thatcher closed the pits and introduced the poll tax, was there call to abolish Westminster NO. When Blair took Wales into a costly war in Iraq because of lies over weapons of mass destruction, was there call to abolish Westminster NO. As we got a useless Labour Welsh government the right wing unionist want to abolish the Welsh Assembly voted by the people of Wales. One of the problems Wales don't know who is in charge, the AM's in Cardiff or the MP's in London. Both RT Davis and Carwyn Jones seem just puppets. pwlldu
  • Score: -8

9:46pm Sat 8 Mar 14

Port0214 says...

What have the Cardiff shower done ? exactly NOTHING an epic failure on every front, employment, inward investment, education, healthcare.

Cardiff city centre looks nice though.
What have the Cardiff shower done ? exactly NOTHING an epic failure on every front, employment, inward investment, education, healthcare. Cardiff city centre looks nice though. Port0214
  • Score: 5

10:55pm Sat 8 Mar 14

Llanmartinangel says...

pwlldu wrote:
When Thatcher closed the pits and introduced the poll tax, was there call to abolish Westminster NO. When Blair took Wales into a costly war in Iraq because of lies over weapons of mass destruction, was there call to abolish Westminster NO. As we got a useless Labour Welsh government the right wing unionist want to abolish the Welsh Assembly voted by the people of Wales. One of the problems Wales don't know who is in charge, the AM's in Cardiff or the MP's in London. Both RT Davis and Carwyn Jones seem just puppets.
What utter nonsense. Your post seems to imply that you can correct the shortcomings of politicians by buying more of them. How exactly?
[quote][p][bold]pwlldu[/bold] wrote: When Thatcher closed the pits and introduced the poll tax, was there call to abolish Westminster NO. When Blair took Wales into a costly war in Iraq because of lies over weapons of mass destruction, was there call to abolish Westminster NO. As we got a useless Labour Welsh government the right wing unionist want to abolish the Welsh Assembly voted by the people of Wales. One of the problems Wales don't know who is in charge, the AM's in Cardiff or the MP's in London. Both RT Davis and Carwyn Jones seem just puppets.[/p][/quote]What utter nonsense. Your post seems to imply that you can correct the shortcomings of politicians by buying more of them. How exactly? Llanmartinangel
  • Score: 7

8:48am Sun 9 Mar 14

scraptheWAG says...

Mervyn James wrote:
Prove it. You are the economist. Prove that what the WAG is given to spend on the NHS is anywhere near enough it needs for daily operation, they are seriously underfunded by 60%. if you remove the welsh language support and flog the airport (Which we know is to blame for everything from the Ukraine to the last war), even then, it won't make a minor dent on the NHS services. We are talking billions in shortages of funds, I give the NHS here 5 years at most. Which will no doubt suit the anti-WAG people here and fellow daily mail rabble. There is no money for basic elderly care which would keep a lot out of NHS hospitals. Again, dump the druggies, the fatties, the alcoholics, most of them clog up the system so that patients in real need cannot get help, why fund their care ? Or look after the drunks that infest our hospitals of a night-time and attack the staff. Lets talk sense first get your facts right at the real costs, then, YOU decide who gets the money and who doesn't. The money is simply NOT THERE to do what we want. rather than blame, why not suggest something practical.
the wag costs 500 million per year to run a couple of hundered on welsh language and the airport the empty planes to anglesey the empty WAG express it does amount up to i would say close to a billion wasted per annum
[quote][p][bold]Mervyn James[/bold] wrote: Prove it. You are the economist. Prove that what the WAG is given to spend on the NHS is anywhere near enough it needs for daily operation, they are seriously underfunded by 60%. if you remove the welsh language support and flog the airport (Which we know is to blame for everything from the Ukraine to the last war), even then, it won't make a minor dent on the NHS services. We are talking billions in shortages of funds, I give the NHS here 5 years at most. Which will no doubt suit the anti-WAG people here and fellow daily mail rabble. There is no money for basic elderly care which would keep a lot out of NHS hospitals. Again, dump the druggies, the fatties, the alcoholics, most of them clog up the system so that patients in real need cannot get help, why fund their care ? Or look after the drunks that infest our hospitals of a night-time and attack the staff. Lets talk sense first get your facts right at the real costs, then, YOU decide who gets the money and who doesn't. The money is simply NOT THERE to do what we want. rather than blame, why not suggest something practical.[/p][/quote]the wag costs 500 million per year to run a couple of hundered on welsh language and the airport the empty planes to anglesey the empty WAG express it does amount up to i would say close to a billion wasted per annum scraptheWAG
  • Score: 4

10:36am Sun 9 Mar 14

coalpicker says...

pwlldu wrote:
When Thatcher closed the pits and introduced the poll tax, was there call to abolish Westminster NO. When Blair took Wales into a costly war in Iraq because of lies over weapons of mass destruction, was there call to abolish Westminster NO. As we got a useless Labour Welsh government the right wing unionist want to abolish the Welsh Assembly voted by the people of Wales. One of the problems Wales don't know who is in charge, the AM's in Cardiff or the MP's in London. Both RT Davis and Carwyn Jones seem just puppets.
Pwlldu you are right the people of wales did vote for the incompetence in Cardiff ,nineteen percent of the voting population ,which as far as I am concerned indicates the stupidity of protesters who abstain from the vote.
[quote][p][bold]pwlldu[/bold] wrote: When Thatcher closed the pits and introduced the poll tax, was there call to abolish Westminster NO. When Blair took Wales into a costly war in Iraq because of lies over weapons of mass destruction, was there call to abolish Westminster NO. As we got a useless Labour Welsh government the right wing unionist want to abolish the Welsh Assembly voted by the people of Wales. One of the problems Wales don't know who is in charge, the AM's in Cardiff or the MP's in London. Both RT Davis and Carwyn Jones seem just puppets.[/p][/quote]Pwlldu you are right the people of wales did vote for the incompetence in Cardiff ,nineteen percent of the voting population ,which as far as I am concerned indicates the stupidity of protesters who abstain from the vote. coalpicker
  • Score: -3

11:59am Sun 9 Mar 14

Bobevans says...

UKIP The Common sense party

Below is an outline of UKIP's migration policy

1. UKIP calls for an end to the age of mass, uncontrolled immigration. Since 1997 immigration has added almost four million new people to the British population; this figure does not include illegal immigrants, the exact number of which is unknown but is probably at least one million and possibly much higher.

2. Britain is very densely populated. England, where the majority of people live, is one of the most densely populated countries in the world: more densely populated than China, India and Japan. We simply cannot sustain the level of immigration that adds another one million people to the population every four to five years. This puts an intolerable burden on our infrastructure and public services.

3. UKIP would introduce a five year freeze on immigration for permanent settlement (with some exceptions) until we regain control of our borders, put in effective immigration controls, and deal with the issue of illegal immigrants. Overstaying a visa would become a criminal offence.

4. Any future immigration for permanent settlement must be on a strictly limited and controlled basis where that can clearly be shown to benefit the British people as a whole and our economy. Immigrants would not be able to apply for public housing or benefits until they had paid tax for five years.

5. Meanwhile UKIP would enable people to come and work in the UK by means of a points based work permit system for limited periods of time and to fulfil specific gaps in the job market that cannot be filled by the existing work force.

6. Measures would be taken to identify illegal immigrants and remove them to their country of origin. Exceptions may be made in limited circumstances, but there would be no general amnesty for illegal migrants.

7. EU citizens who have been established in the UK for seven years or more will, depending on their circumstances, be able to apply for permanent leave to remain (provided they fulfil certain criteria and are eligible to apply for work permits).

8. UKIP would withdraw from the European Convention of Human Rights and the European Convention on Refugees. This would enable us to deport foreign criminal and terrorist suspects where desirable. UKIP would allow genuine asylum applications in accordance with our international obligations.

None of these policies can be implemented while Britain is still a member of the European Union, and that is just one of the reasons why UKIP policy is to leave the European Union.
UKIP The Common sense party Below is an outline of UKIP's migration policy 1. UKIP calls for an end to the age of mass, uncontrolled immigration. Since 1997 immigration has added almost four million new people to the British population; this figure does not include illegal immigrants, the exact number of which is unknown but is probably at least one million and possibly much higher. 2. Britain is very densely populated. England, where the majority of people live, is one of the most densely populated countries in the world: more densely populated than China, India and Japan. We simply cannot sustain the level of immigration that adds another one million people to the population every four to five years. This puts an intolerable burden on our infrastructure and public services. 3. UKIP would introduce a five year freeze on immigration for permanent settlement (with some exceptions) until we regain control of our borders, put in effective immigration controls, and deal with the issue of illegal immigrants. Overstaying a visa would become a criminal offence. 4. Any future immigration for permanent settlement must be on a strictly limited and controlled basis where that can clearly be shown to benefit the British people as a whole and our economy. Immigrants would not be able to apply for public housing or benefits until they had paid tax for five years. 5. Meanwhile UKIP would enable people to come and work in the UK by means of a points based work permit system for limited periods of time and to fulfil specific gaps in the job market that cannot be filled by the existing work force. 6. Measures would be taken to identify illegal immigrants and remove them to their country of origin. Exceptions may be made in limited circumstances, but there would be no general amnesty for illegal migrants. 7. EU citizens who have been established in the UK for seven years or more will, depending on their circumstances, be able to apply for permanent leave to remain (provided they fulfil certain criteria and are eligible to apply for work permits). 8. UKIP would withdraw from the European Convention of Human Rights and the European Convention on Refugees. This would enable us to deport foreign criminal and terrorist suspects where desirable. UKIP would allow genuine asylum applications in accordance with our international obligations. None of these policies can be implemented while Britain is still a member of the European Union, and that is just one of the reasons why UKIP policy is to leave the European Union. Bobevans
  • Score: 2

1:39pm Sun 9 Mar 14

Llanmartinangel says...

coalpicker wrote:
pwlldu wrote:
When Thatcher closed the pits and introduced the poll tax, was there call to abolish Westminster NO. When Blair took Wales into a costly war in Iraq because of lies over weapons of mass destruction, was there call to abolish Westminster NO. As we got a useless Labour Welsh government the right wing unionist want to abolish the Welsh Assembly voted by the people of Wales. One of the problems Wales don't know who is in charge, the AM's in Cardiff or the MP's in London. Both RT Davis and Carwyn Jones seem just puppets.
Pwlldu you are right the people of wales did vote for the incompetence in Cardiff ,nineteen percent of the voting population ,which as far as I am concerned indicates the stupidity of protesters who abstain from the vote.
What if, like me, you voted 'no' (because more government is always stupid) and have now been proved right? Because 14 years (and £7billion) of such an abysmal record is proof beyond all doubt.
[quote][p][bold]coalpicker[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pwlldu[/bold] wrote: When Thatcher closed the pits and introduced the poll tax, was there call to abolish Westminster NO. When Blair took Wales into a costly war in Iraq because of lies over weapons of mass destruction, was there call to abolish Westminster NO. As we got a useless Labour Welsh government the right wing unionist want to abolish the Welsh Assembly voted by the people of Wales. One of the problems Wales don't know who is in charge, the AM's in Cardiff or the MP's in London. Both RT Davis and Carwyn Jones seem just puppets.[/p][/quote]Pwlldu you are right the people of wales did vote for the incompetence in Cardiff ,nineteen percent of the voting population ,which as far as I am concerned indicates the stupidity of protesters who abstain from the vote.[/p][/quote]What if, like me, you voted 'no' (because more government is always stupid) and have now been proved right? Because 14 years (and £7billion) of such an abysmal record is proof beyond all doubt. Llanmartinangel
  • Score: 8

5:12pm Sun 9 Mar 14

Monmouthshire Merlin says...

Mervyn James wrote:
Power to the people, the people of Wales naturally. They were democratically voted in, if you want change then vote your way, however doing away with the Assembly won't be put to any vote, you had your chance. Unlike Westminster where we voted for none of them and they still tell us what to do.
Yes we had our chance to vote Mervyn. We said NO. However, that wasn't the result that Westminster or the nationalists wanted. So, we had to vote again until the vote they wanted was achieved
Seven years on, it is time to vote again.
At the next assembly election, I hope there will be many candidates standing as the, ' Abolish the Welsh assembly party.'
[quote][p][bold]Mervyn James[/bold] wrote: Power to the people, the people of Wales naturally. They were democratically voted in, if you want change then vote your way, however doing away with the Assembly won't be put to any vote, you had your chance. Unlike Westminster where we voted for none of them and they still tell us what to do.[/p][/quote]Yes we had our chance to vote Mervyn. We said NO. However, that wasn't the result that Westminster or the nationalists wanted. So, we had to vote again until the vote they wanted was achieved Seven years on, it is time to vote again. At the next assembly election, I hope there will be many candidates standing as the, ' Abolish the Welsh assembly party.' Monmouthshire Merlin
  • Score: 9

5:25pm Sun 9 Mar 14

Monmouthshire Merlin says...

Here we go Mervyn, have a look at this. This is just one example of what devolution and the gravy train in the bay has delivered.
http://www.bbc.co.uk
/news/uk-wales-26505
309

Now tell us devolution is good for Wales
Here we go Mervyn, have a look at this. This is just one example of what devolution and the gravy train in the bay has delivered. http://www.bbc.co.uk /news/uk-wales-26505 309 Now tell us devolution is good for Wales Monmouthshire Merlin
  • Score: 8

5:49pm Sun 9 Mar 14

Llanmartinangel says...

Monmouthshire Merlin wrote:
Here we go Mervyn, have a look at this. This is just one example of what devolution and the gravy train in the bay has delivered.
http://www.bbc.co.uk

/news/uk-wales-26505

309

Now tell us devolution is good for Wales
Yep Merlin. The average council tax rises are 4.2% in Wales, 0.6% in England. Proof if it was needed that Labour are the party of high taxes and rubbish services. And a margin to fund WAG on top.
[quote][p][bold]Monmouthshire Merlin[/bold] wrote: Here we go Mervyn, have a look at this. This is just one example of what devolution and the gravy train in the bay has delivered. http://www.bbc.co.uk /news/uk-wales-26505 309 Now tell us devolution is good for Wales[/p][/quote]Yep Merlin. The average council tax rises are 4.2% in Wales, 0.6% in England. Proof if it was needed that Labour are the party of high taxes and rubbish services. And a margin to fund WAG on top. Llanmartinangel
  • Score: 5

7:53pm Sun 9 Mar 14

scraptheWAG says...

he guy who is head of the silk commsion was one of the ones that set the crap up!!
he guy who is head of the silk commsion was one of the ones that set the crap up!! scraptheWAG
  • Score: 3

8:13pm Sun 9 Mar 14

Mervyn James says...

Llanmartinangel wrote:
Monmouthshire Merlin wrote:
Here we go Mervyn, have a look at this. This is just one example of what devolution and the gravy train in the bay has delivered.
http://www.bbc.co.uk


/news/uk-wales-26505


309

Now tell us devolution is good for Wales
Yep Merlin. The average council tax rises are 4.2% in Wales, 0.6% in England. Proof if it was needed that Labour are the party of high taxes and rubbish services. And a margin to fund WAG on top.
We're broke, I've never disputed that fact, I may dispute who is responsible, and whether an Assembly can fix things overnight with nowt in the bank but.... the cash has to come from somewhere. It won't come from Europe, it won't come from Westminster,if you can suggest where it will come from, I am all ears.

I disagree with the poster who suggest Wales voted against an assembly but were forced to vote again FOR, (the poster is thinking of EUROPE, that is their way of doing things, in Ireland e.g.) For whatever reason, be it welsh stayed at home watching TV and didn't vote or whatever, those that did vote, wanted the Assembly, surely the poster is advocating what it criticised the Assembly voters for for refusing to do, ergo accept the democratic decision.

if Wales were 'forced to vote again, they could simply if the poster was correct, have again voted no. The WAG is here to stay be with it or be ignored, simples. No-one is going to offer a change of mind at this stage,ludicrous we have gone too far into devolved status..
[quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Monmouthshire Merlin[/bold] wrote: Here we go Mervyn, have a look at this. This is just one example of what devolution and the gravy train in the bay has delivered. http://www.bbc.co.uk /news/uk-wales-26505 309 Now tell us devolution is good for Wales[/p][/quote]Yep Merlin. The average council tax rises are 4.2% in Wales, 0.6% in England. Proof if it was needed that Labour are the party of high taxes and rubbish services. And a margin to fund WAG on top.[/p][/quote]We're broke, I've never disputed that fact, I may dispute who is responsible, and whether an Assembly can fix things overnight with nowt in the bank but.... the cash has to come from somewhere. It won't come from Europe, it won't come from Westminster,if you can suggest where it will come from, I am all ears. I disagree with the poster who suggest Wales voted against an assembly but were forced to vote again FOR, (the poster is thinking of EUROPE, that is their way of doing things, in Ireland e.g.) For whatever reason, be it welsh stayed at home watching TV and didn't vote or whatever, those that did vote, wanted the Assembly, surely the poster is advocating what it criticised the Assembly voters for for refusing to do, ergo accept the democratic decision. if Wales were 'forced to vote again, they could simply if the poster was correct, have again voted no. The WAG is here to stay be with it or be ignored, simples. No-one is going to offer a change of mind at this stage,ludicrous we have gone too far into devolved status.. Mervyn James
  • Score: -8

10:04pm Sun 9 Mar 14

Llanmartinangel says...

Mervyn James wrote:
Llanmartinangel wrote:
Monmouthshire Merlin wrote:
Here we go Mervyn, have a look at this. This is just one example of what devolution and the gravy train in the bay has delivered.
http://www.bbc.co.uk



/news/uk-wales-26505



309

Now tell us devolution is good for Wales
Yep Merlin. The average council tax rises are 4.2% in Wales, 0.6% in England. Proof if it was needed that Labour are the party of high taxes and rubbish services. And a margin to fund WAG on top.
We're broke, I've never disputed that fact, I may dispute who is responsible, and whether an Assembly can fix things overnight with nowt in the bank but.... the cash has to come from somewhere. It won't come from Europe, it won't come from Westminster,if you can suggest where it will come from, I am all ears.

I disagree with the poster who suggest Wales voted against an assembly but were forced to vote again FOR, (the poster is thinking of EUROPE, that is their way of doing things, in Ireland e.g.) For whatever reason, be it welsh stayed at home watching TV and didn't vote or whatever, those that did vote, wanted the Assembly, surely the poster is advocating what it criticised the Assembly voters for for refusing to do, ergo accept the democratic decision.

if Wales were 'forced to vote again, they could simply if the poster was correct, have again voted no. The WAG is here to stay be with it or be ignored, simples. No-one is going to offer a change of mind at this stage,ludicrous we have gone too far into devolved status..
'I disagree with the poster who suggest Wales voted against an assembly but were forced to vote again FOR, '

1979 Mervyn. Wales voted AGAINST. Why did they hold a second vote?
[quote][p][bold]Mervyn James[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Monmouthshire Merlin[/bold] wrote: Here we go Mervyn, have a look at this. This is just one example of what devolution and the gravy train in the bay has delivered. http://www.bbc.co.uk /news/uk-wales-26505 309 Now tell us devolution is good for Wales[/p][/quote]Yep Merlin. The average council tax rises are 4.2% in Wales, 0.6% in England. Proof if it was needed that Labour are the party of high taxes and rubbish services. And a margin to fund WAG on top.[/p][/quote]We're broke, I've never disputed that fact, I may dispute who is responsible, and whether an Assembly can fix things overnight with nowt in the bank but.... the cash has to come from somewhere. It won't come from Europe, it won't come from Westminster,if you can suggest where it will come from, I am all ears. I disagree with the poster who suggest Wales voted against an assembly but were forced to vote again FOR, (the poster is thinking of EUROPE, that is their way of doing things, in Ireland e.g.) For whatever reason, be it welsh stayed at home watching TV and didn't vote or whatever, those that did vote, wanted the Assembly, surely the poster is advocating what it criticised the Assembly voters for for refusing to do, ergo accept the democratic decision. if Wales were 'forced to vote again, they could simply if the poster was correct, have again voted no. The WAG is here to stay be with it or be ignored, simples. No-one is going to offer a change of mind at this stage,ludicrous we have gone too far into devolved status..[/p][/quote]'I disagree with the poster who suggest Wales voted against an assembly but were forced to vote again FOR, ' 1979 Mervyn. Wales voted AGAINST. Why did they hold a second vote? Llanmartinangel
  • Score: 9

9:17am Mon 10 Mar 14

Llanmartinangel says...

Bobevans wrote:
UKIP The Common sense party

Below is an outline of UKIP's migration policy

1. UKIP calls for an end to the age of mass, uncontrolled immigration. Since 1997 immigration has added almost four million new people to the British population; this figure does not include illegal immigrants, the exact number of which is unknown but is probably at least one million and possibly much higher.

2. Britain is very densely populated. England, where the majority of people live, is one of the most densely populated countries in the world: more densely populated than China, India and Japan. We simply cannot sustain the level of immigration that adds another one million people to the population every four to five years. This puts an intolerable burden on our infrastructure and public services.

3. UKIP would introduce a five year freeze on immigration for permanent settlement (with some exceptions) until we regain control of our borders, put in effective immigration controls, and deal with the issue of illegal immigrants. Overstaying a visa would become a criminal offence.

4. Any future immigration for permanent settlement must be on a strictly limited and controlled basis where that can clearly be shown to benefit the British people as a whole and our economy. Immigrants would not be able to apply for public housing or benefits until they had paid tax for five years.

5. Meanwhile UKIP would enable people to come and work in the UK by means of a points based work permit system for limited periods of time and to fulfil specific gaps in the job market that cannot be filled by the existing work force.

6. Measures would be taken to identify illegal immigrants and remove them to their country of origin. Exceptions may be made in limited circumstances, but there would be no general amnesty for illegal migrants.

7. EU citizens who have been established in the UK for seven years or more will, depending on their circumstances, be able to apply for permanent leave to remain (provided they fulfil certain criteria and are eligible to apply for work permits).

8. UKIP would withdraw from the European Convention of Human Rights and the European Convention on Refugees. This would enable us to deport foreign criminal and terrorist suspects where desirable. UKIP would allow genuine asylum applications in accordance with our international obligations.

None of these policies can be implemented while Britain is still a member of the European Union, and that is just one of the reasons why UKIP policy is to leave the European Union.
In Europe, when the EU Parliament was formed, the typical salary was less than 1,000 euros per month. They gave themselves a pay raise and now earn more than heads of their own countries booking more than 17,000 euros per month (214,000 euros per year) and guess what – they excepted themselves from TAXATION. So while they hunt the rich, they never include themselves. This level of inherent corruption is just the tip of the iceberg behind socialism where they “feel” your pain, and take pleasure in sucking out every drop of blood they can for themselves.
[quote][p][bold]Bobevans[/bold] wrote: UKIP The Common sense party Below is an outline of UKIP's migration policy 1. UKIP calls for an end to the age of mass, uncontrolled immigration. Since 1997 immigration has added almost four million new people to the British population; this figure does not include illegal immigrants, the exact number of which is unknown but is probably at least one million and possibly much higher. 2. Britain is very densely populated. England, where the majority of people live, is one of the most densely populated countries in the world: more densely populated than China, India and Japan. We simply cannot sustain the level of immigration that adds another one million people to the population every four to five years. This puts an intolerable burden on our infrastructure and public services. 3. UKIP would introduce a five year freeze on immigration for permanent settlement (with some exceptions) until we regain control of our borders, put in effective immigration controls, and deal with the issue of illegal immigrants. Overstaying a visa would become a criminal offence. 4. Any future immigration for permanent settlement must be on a strictly limited and controlled basis where that can clearly be shown to benefit the British people as a whole and our economy. Immigrants would not be able to apply for public housing or benefits until they had paid tax for five years. 5. Meanwhile UKIP would enable people to come and work in the UK by means of a points based work permit system for limited periods of time and to fulfil specific gaps in the job market that cannot be filled by the existing work force. 6. Measures would be taken to identify illegal immigrants and remove them to their country of origin. Exceptions may be made in limited circumstances, but there would be no general amnesty for illegal migrants. 7. EU citizens who have been established in the UK for seven years or more will, depending on their circumstances, be able to apply for permanent leave to remain (provided they fulfil certain criteria and are eligible to apply for work permits). 8. UKIP would withdraw from the European Convention of Human Rights and the European Convention on Refugees. This would enable us to deport foreign criminal and terrorist suspects where desirable. UKIP would allow genuine asylum applications in accordance with our international obligations. None of these policies can be implemented while Britain is still a member of the European Union, and that is just one of the reasons why UKIP policy is to leave the European Union.[/p][/quote]In Europe, when the EU Parliament was formed, the typical salary was less than 1,000 euros per month. They gave themselves a pay raise and now earn more than heads of their own countries booking more than 17,000 euros per month (214,000 euros per year) and guess what – they excepted themselves from TAXATION. So while they hunt the rich, they never include themselves. This level of inherent corruption is just the tip of the iceberg behind socialism where they “feel” your pain, and take pleasure in sucking out every drop of blood they can for themselves. Llanmartinangel
  • Score: 5

6:52pm Mon 10 Mar 14

Mervyn James says...

Llanmartinangel wrote:
Mervyn James wrote:
Llanmartinangel wrote:
Monmouthshire Merlin wrote:
Here we go Mervyn, have a look at this. This is just one example of what devolution and the gravy train in the bay has delivered.
http://www.bbc.co.uk




/news/uk-wales-26505




309

Now tell us devolution is good for Wales
Yep Merlin. The average council tax rises are 4.2% in Wales, 0.6% in England. Proof if it was needed that Labour are the party of high taxes and rubbish services. And a margin to fund WAG on top.
We're broke, I've never disputed that fact, I may dispute who is responsible, and whether an Assembly can fix things overnight with nowt in the bank but.... the cash has to come from somewhere. It won't come from Europe, it won't come from Westminster,if you can suggest where it will come from, I am all ears.

I disagree with the poster who suggest Wales voted against an assembly but were forced to vote again FOR, (the poster is thinking of EUROPE, that is their way of doing things, in Ireland e.g.) For whatever reason, be it welsh stayed at home watching TV and didn't vote or whatever, those that did vote, wanted the Assembly, surely the poster is advocating what it criticised the Assembly voters for for refusing to do, ergo accept the democratic decision.

if Wales were 'forced to vote again, they could simply if the poster was correct, have again voted no. The WAG is here to stay be with it or be ignored, simples. No-one is going to offer a change of mind at this stage,ludicrous we have gone too far into devolved status..
'I disagree with the poster who suggest Wales voted against an assembly but were forced to vote again FOR, '

1979 Mervyn. Wales voted AGAINST. Why did they hold a second vote?
"Had the Wales Act 1978 entered force, it would have created a Welsh Assembly without primary legislative or tax raising powers. "

After debates another referendum supported by Westminster, included legislative powers, then it was voted for, the first referendum would have been entirely meaningless, hence the NO then. Today there is support for tax raising powers too So many don quixote's here tilting at the same windmill....
[quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mervyn James[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Monmouthshire Merlin[/bold] wrote: Here we go Mervyn, have a look at this. This is just one example of what devolution and the gravy train in the bay has delivered. http://www.bbc.co.uk /news/uk-wales-26505 309 Now tell us devolution is good for Wales[/p][/quote]Yep Merlin. The average council tax rises are 4.2% in Wales, 0.6% in England. Proof if it was needed that Labour are the party of high taxes and rubbish services. And a margin to fund WAG on top.[/p][/quote]We're broke, I've never disputed that fact, I may dispute who is responsible, and whether an Assembly can fix things overnight with nowt in the bank but.... the cash has to come from somewhere. It won't come from Europe, it won't come from Westminster,if you can suggest where it will come from, I am all ears. I disagree with the poster who suggest Wales voted against an assembly but were forced to vote again FOR, (the poster is thinking of EUROPE, that is their way of doing things, in Ireland e.g.) For whatever reason, be it welsh stayed at home watching TV and didn't vote or whatever, those that did vote, wanted the Assembly, surely the poster is advocating what it criticised the Assembly voters for for refusing to do, ergo accept the democratic decision. if Wales were 'forced to vote again, they could simply if the poster was correct, have again voted no. The WAG is here to stay be with it or be ignored, simples. No-one is going to offer a change of mind at this stage,ludicrous we have gone too far into devolved status..[/p][/quote]'I disagree with the poster who suggest Wales voted against an assembly but were forced to vote again FOR, ' 1979 Mervyn. Wales voted AGAINST. Why did they hold a second vote?[/p][/quote]"Had the Wales Act 1978 entered force, it would have created a Welsh Assembly without primary legislative or tax raising powers. " After debates another referendum supported by Westminster, included legislative powers, then it was voted for, the first referendum would have been entirely meaningless, hence the NO then. Today there is support for tax raising powers too So many don quixote's here tilting at the same windmill.... Mervyn James
  • Score: -7

11:28pm Tue 11 Mar 14

pwlldu says...

Who would vote for a party that will side with the far right group within the EU. It would be like Churchill joining with Hitler in the 1930's.
Who would vote for a party that will side with the far right group within the EU. It would be like Churchill joining with Hitler in the 1930's. pwlldu
  • Score: -4

1:31pm Wed 12 Mar 14

white white says...

Port0214 wrote:
What have the Cardiff shower done ? exactly NOTHING an epic failure on every front, employment, inward investment, education, healthcare.

Cardiff city centre looks nice though.
Have the Romans ever done for us " a line from Monty pythons

Fact is the anti assembly label makes here mind up as soon as the name
Crops up ,I dunno why. Truth is there are die hard anti welsh anti
Assembly and so on I wonder if if the Scots have there bigots as well

Just a thought really, what would happen if Scotland gets its independence
,and some area may be the south I dunno? Say they are majority ethnic
English and do a Crimea would the British government send troops in

Before it gets voted down, and however barmy it sounds what do others
Think
[quote][p][bold]Port0214[/bold] wrote: What have the Cardiff shower done ? exactly NOTHING an epic failure on every front, employment, inward investment, education, healthcare. Cardiff city centre looks nice though.[/p][/quote]Have the Romans ever done for us " a line from Monty pythons Fact is the anti assembly label makes here mind up as soon as the name Crops up ,I dunno why. Truth is there are die hard anti welsh anti Assembly and so on I wonder if if the Scots have there bigots as well Just a thought really, what would happen if Scotland gets its independence ,and some area may be the south I dunno? Say they are majority ethnic English and do a Crimea would the British government send troops in Before it gets voted down, and however barmy it sounds what do others Think white white
  • Score: -3

3:32pm Wed 12 Mar 14

GogExile says...

pwlldu wrote:
When Thatcher closed the pits and introduced the poll tax, was there call to abolish Westminster NO. When Blair took Wales into a costly war in Iraq because of lies over weapons of mass destruction, was there call to abolish Westminster NO. As we got a useless Labour Welsh government the right wing unionist want to abolish the Welsh Assembly voted by the people of Wales. One of the problems Wales don't know who is in charge, the AM's in Cardiff or the MP's in London. Both RT Davis and Carwyn Jones seem just puppets.
I'd challenge your moniker of 'right wing unionists'. Surely, Unionism is clearly a more socialist and socially inclusive concept than the right-wing, insular nationalism? It allows freedom of movement, trade, standardization of rights and vastly larger number of taxpayers to contribute to the pot. It's this smug idea that being pro European Union with it's unelected junta is somehow 'progressive' yet being pro British Union with it's elected government is somehow right wing and racist that galls me. Yet, if I ask Welsh Nationalists how they expect to support Wales' services and population on the taxes of a couple of million people 'Europe' tends to be the reply.

The poster who referred to being sent back to the polls until the 'right result' is correct in my memory. The referendum in 1998 came back with support for an Assembly but the rejection of 'tax-raising powers' for said Assembly so another referendum in 2007 was called to gain said, previously rejected, powers. Enormous voter apathy led to a 'majority of a minority' voting it in. A legal mandate, yes. A moral mandate, hardly.
[quote][p][bold]pwlldu[/bold] wrote: When Thatcher closed the pits and introduced the poll tax, was there call to abolish Westminster NO. When Blair took Wales into a costly war in Iraq because of lies over weapons of mass destruction, was there call to abolish Westminster NO. As we got a useless Labour Welsh government the right wing unionist want to abolish the Welsh Assembly voted by the people of Wales. One of the problems Wales don't know who is in charge, the AM's in Cardiff or the MP's in London. Both RT Davis and Carwyn Jones seem just puppets.[/p][/quote]I'd challenge your moniker of 'right wing unionists'. Surely, Unionism is clearly a more socialist and socially inclusive concept than the right-wing, insular nationalism? It allows freedom of movement, trade, standardization of rights and vastly larger number of taxpayers to contribute to the pot. It's this smug idea that being pro European Union with it's unelected junta is somehow 'progressive' yet being pro British Union with it's elected government is somehow right wing and racist that galls me. Yet, if I ask Welsh Nationalists how they expect to support Wales' services and population on the taxes of a couple of million people 'Europe' tends to be the reply. The poster who referred to being sent back to the polls until the 'right result' is correct in my memory. The referendum in 1998 came back with support for an Assembly but the rejection of 'tax-raising powers' for said Assembly so another referendum in 2007 was called to gain said, previously rejected, powers. Enormous voter apathy led to a 'majority of a minority' voting it in. A legal mandate, yes. A moral mandate, hardly. GogExile
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree