RIP Tony Benn

First published in Letters

TONY Benn’s death last week, has seen the end of a remarkable political career among 20th century British politicians.

But it is the legacy of the man that must be looked at. Tony Benn had successes and failures in equal measures. Benn’s first success was the introduction of the 1963 ‘Peerage Act’. As Postmaster General, then Minister of Technology, he created Giro bank, merged the British car industry into British Leylandhelped the Concorde project become reality, introduced the postcode system, setup BBC Radio 1, and also changed the Labour Party constitution.

Among his failures was not resigning as Minister of State for Industry when demoted to Minister of State for Energy in the 1974-6 Wilson government (Had he resigned, the history of the British Labour Party may have taken a different turn), his 1981 Labour Party leadership campaign, and the 1983 Labour Party General Election manifesto. Yet out of all those successes and failures, his one true legacy that will earn him a place in the history books, his is outstanding political diaries.Whether he will be judged as a true labour great like Attlee, Nye Bevan, and the underrated Jim Griffiths, will be up to future historians and history itself.

Wayne Thomas Monmouth Walk Markham

Comments (12)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:50pm Tue 18 Mar 14

Magor says...

Ironic that Concorde was only available to the rich and cost a fortune,money that could have been spent on Public services.
Ironic that Concorde was only available to the rich and cost a fortune,money that could have been spent on Public services. Magor
  • Score: 3

1:07pm Tue 18 Mar 14

-trigg- says...

I disagreed with many of the policies which Benn supported, but I nonetheless admired him for sticking to his convictions, unlike many politicians who will change their minds whenever a new opinion poll is published.

Its a shame that many of his industrial successes will be buried in the wreckage of his political failures.
I disagreed with many of the policies which Benn supported, but I nonetheless admired him for sticking to his convictions, unlike many politicians who will change their minds whenever a new opinion poll is published. Its a shame that many of his industrial successes will be buried in the wreckage of his political failures. -trigg-
  • Score: 5

1:30pm Tue 18 Mar 14

welshmen says...

Old silver spoon,He also Supported IRA Sinn Fein and the UAF nazi organisation backed by most of the Westminster gang of thief's, like most Labour members, they support British haters and dislike people who put British people first, treasonous Traitors in my opinion....
Old silver spoon,He also Supported IRA Sinn Fein and the UAF nazi organisation backed by most of the Westminster gang of thief's, like most Labour members, they support British haters and dislike people who put British people first, treasonous Traitors in my opinion.... welshmen
  • Score: 3

2:35pm Tue 18 Mar 14

Llanmartinangel says...

Didn't he throw his hat in with the Trotskyite Militant Tendency's infiltration of Labour's ranks as well? As Anthony Crossland put it, 'nothing wrong with him other than he's a bit cracked'. Whatever you think of Maggie, Benn and his ilk handed her the reigns of government on a plate.
Didn't he throw his hat in with the Trotskyite Militant Tendency's infiltration of Labour's ranks as well? As Anthony Crossland put it, 'nothing wrong with him other than he's a bit cracked'. Whatever you think of Maggie, Benn and his ilk handed her the reigns of government on a plate. Llanmartinangel
  • Score: 4

7:09pm Tue 18 Mar 14

Mervyn James says...

Benn was a man of principle and stuck to them, that's how I remember him, it wasn't a matter of what he stood for so much, he didn't faff about, or follow any passing bandwagon that rolled past like the downright lightweights in Politics we have now who are all image and no substance and fed their lines by a succession of lobbies and people that manipulate the medias. There are no politicians left just conveyor-belt dummies being worked from behind.
Benn was a man of principle and stuck to them, that's how I remember him, it wasn't a matter of what he stood for so much, he didn't faff about, or follow any passing bandwagon that rolled past like the downright lightweights in Politics we have now who are all image and no substance and fed their lines by a succession of lobbies and people that manipulate the medias. There are no politicians left just conveyor-belt dummies being worked from behind. Mervyn James
  • Score: -1

1:58pm Wed 19 Mar 14

jimmytheone2 says...

welshmen wrote:
Old silver spoon,He also Supported IRA Sinn Fein and the UAF nazi organisation backed by most of the Westminster gang of thief's, like most Labour members, they support British haters and dislike people who put British people first, treasonous Traitors in my opinion....
Usual racist garbage from this idiot. I can't understand why his infant school teachers let him write letters like this?
Hey Welshmen, why don't you crawl back under your stone, you ugly poisionous toad......
[quote][p][bold]welshmen[/bold] wrote: Old silver spoon,He also Supported IRA Sinn Fein and the UAF nazi organisation backed by most of the Westminster gang of thief's, like most Labour members, they support British haters and dislike people who put British people first, treasonous Traitors in my opinion....[/p][/quote]Usual racist garbage from this idiot. I can't understand why his infant school teachers let him write letters like this? Hey Welshmen, why don't you crawl back under your stone, you ugly poisionous toad...... jimmytheone2
  • Score: -2

2:06pm Wed 19 Mar 14

welshmen says...

jimmytheone2 wrote:
welshmen wrote:
Old silver spoon,He also Supported IRA Sinn Fein and the UAF nazi organisation backed by most of the Westminster gang of thief's, like most Labour members, they support British haters and dislike people who put British people first, treasonous Traitors in my opinion....
Usual racist garbage from this idiot. I can't understand why his infant school teachers let him write letters like this?
Hey Welshmen, why don't you crawl back under your stone, you ugly poisionous toad......
Any time you want to meet up and say your crap to my face, name the time and the day and where.
[quote][p][bold]jimmytheone2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]welshmen[/bold] wrote: Old silver spoon,He also Supported IRA Sinn Fein and the UAF nazi organisation backed by most of the Westminster gang of thief's, like most Labour members, they support British haters and dislike people who put British people first, treasonous Traitors in my opinion....[/p][/quote]Usual racist garbage from this idiot. I can't understand why his infant school teachers let him write letters like this? Hey Welshmen, why don't you crawl back under your stone, you ugly poisionous toad......[/p][/quote]Any time you want to meet up and say your crap to my face, name the time and the day and where. welshmen
  • Score: 1

2:54pm Wed 19 Mar 14

jimmytheone2 says...

welshmen wrote:
jimmytheone2 wrote:
welshmen wrote:
Old silver spoon,He also Supported IRA Sinn Fein and the UAF nazi organisation backed by most of the Westminster gang of thief's, like most Labour members, they support British haters and dislike people who put British people first, treasonous Traitors in my opinion....
Usual racist garbage from this idiot. I can't understand why his infant school teachers let him write letters like this?
Hey Welshmen, why don't you crawl back under your stone, you ugly poisionous toad......
Any time you want to meet up and say your crap to my face, name the time and the day and where.
Haven't you got a watch - the time's quarter to 3. It's a Wednesday Welshmen, c'mon man, get a grip.
I ain't coming anywhere near you, your breath stinks - as well as your views. Haven't you got anything better to do with your time than writing constant drivel? "British haters, treason, traitors" - listen to yourself. And as for references to 'nazi' - you can't even see the irony there can you? I thought not. Think about it. C'mon, try a bit harder...it's rather obvious.....
[quote][p][bold]welshmen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jimmytheone2[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]welshmen[/bold] wrote: Old silver spoon,He also Supported IRA Sinn Fein and the UAF nazi organisation backed by most of the Westminster gang of thief's, like most Labour members, they support British haters and dislike people who put British people first, treasonous Traitors in my opinion....[/p][/quote]Usual racist garbage from this idiot. I can't understand why his infant school teachers let him write letters like this? Hey Welshmen, why don't you crawl back under your stone, you ugly poisionous toad......[/p][/quote]Any time you want to meet up and say your crap to my face, name the time and the day and where.[/p][/quote]Haven't you got a watch - the time's quarter to 3. It's a Wednesday Welshmen, c'mon man, get a grip. I ain't coming anywhere near you, your breath stinks - as well as your views. Haven't you got anything better to do with your time than writing constant drivel? "British haters, treason, traitors" - listen to yourself. And as for references to 'nazi' - you can't even see the irony there can you? I thought not. Think about it. C'mon, try a bit harder...it's rather obvious..... jimmytheone2
  • Score: -1

9:26pm Wed 19 Mar 14

welshmen says...

jimmytheone2: pathetic excuse for a man, all mouth and no guts, slither back to your lounge COWARD.....your so deserving of your British hating Labour Party, I hope one day your idol St Tony will be tried for war crimes....
jimmytheone2: pathetic excuse for a man, all mouth and no guts, slither back to your lounge COWARD.....your so deserving of your British hating Labour Party, I hope one day your idol St Tony will be tried for war crimes.... welshmen
  • Score: -1

11:13am Thu 20 Mar 14

jimmytheone2 says...

welshmen wrote:
jimmytheone2: pathetic excuse for a man, all mouth and no guts, slither back to your lounge COWARD.....your so deserving of your British hating Labour Party, I hope one day your idol St Tony will be tried for war crimes....
you're sounding even more deranged than normal. C'mon sit down before you explode, take your medicine and shut the curtains. That's better, we'll get you well again soon, we don't want you having to go back into the psychiatric hospital.
[quote][p][bold]welshmen[/bold] wrote: jimmytheone2: pathetic excuse for a man, all mouth and no guts, slither back to your lounge COWARD.....your so deserving of your British hating Labour Party, I hope one day your idol St Tony will be tried for war crimes....[/p][/quote]you're sounding even more deranged than normal. C'mon sit down before you explode, take your medicine and shut the curtains. That's better, we'll get you well again soon, we don't want you having to go back into the psychiatric hospital. jimmytheone2
  • Score: 1

12:46pm Thu 20 Mar 14

Mike Roland says...

welshmen wrote:
Old silver spoon,He also Supported IRA Sinn Fein and the UAF nazi organisation backed by most of the Westminster gang of thief's, like most Labour members, they support British haters and dislike people who put British people first, treasonous Traitors in my opinion....
Well welshmen, you'd recognise a nazi should you see one.
[quote][p][bold]welshmen[/bold] wrote: Old silver spoon,He also Supported IRA Sinn Fein and the UAF nazi organisation backed by most of the Westminster gang of thief's, like most Labour members, they support British haters and dislike people who put British people first, treasonous Traitors in my opinion....[/p][/quote]Well welshmen, you'd recognise a nazi should you see one. Mike Roland
  • Score: 3

4:32pm Thu 20 Mar 14

welshmen says...

Yes Mike, even without your swastika arm band....
Yes Mike, even without your swastika arm band.... welshmen
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree