Marriage fears

ANN Poyser (Letters, May 16) challenges Nigel Farage’s claim that the ‘over 70s’ are ‘uncomfortable’ with same-sex marriage.

She has a point, but the fact is, that anyone of any age who understands the true meaning of marriage, should not only feel uncomfortable, but disgusted.

In these mad days of ‘equality and diversity’ – in which those who dare stand for normality are even called ‘lunatics’ – we are no doubt reaping the fruit of the ‘swinging 60s’, of which our correspondent seems to cherish such fond memories.

Probably the saddest thing about this recent legislation is that our government (which is supposed to have the country’s best interests at heart) has sent out a message that children no longer need a father and mother.

RH Ashton Woodland Place Blackwood

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:09pm Thu 22 May 14

throwy1 says...

Well, I'm a child of the late 60's and the 70's and certainly enjoyed the new found Freedom those decades brought.
I am totally against same sex "marriage" Marriage is the union of one man and one woman.
Well, I'm a child of the late 60's and the 70's and certainly enjoyed the new found Freedom those decades brought. I am totally against same sex "marriage" Marriage is the union of one man and one woman. throwy1
  • Score: 4

4:10pm Thu 22 May 14

-trigg- says...

Marriage is simply society as a whole acknowledging the committment of two people to each other. Some people choose to take that to be limited to one man, one woman whilst others don't see the need to restrict the meaning based on sex or sexuality.

I've best heard it phrased thus: If gay marriage offends you, don't get married to someone of the same sex.
Marriage is simply society as a whole acknowledging the committment of two people to each other. Some people choose to take that to be limited to one man, one woman whilst others don't see the need to restrict the meaning based on sex or sexuality. I've best heard it phrased thus: If gay marriage offends you, don't get married to someone of the same sex. -trigg-
  • Score: 5

7:07pm Thu 22 May 14

Mervyn James says...

throwy1 wrote:
Well, I'm a child of the late 60's and the 70's and certainly enjoyed the new found Freedom those decades brought.
I am totally against same sex "marriage" Marriage is the union of one man and one woman.
Of course it is. Its an relationship based on the family and having a mother and a father married to care for them. Not asking for sperm donations from other gays to propagate, to suggest they do exactly the same. It's like gay deaf in the USA who sought out a genetically deaf sperm donor to ensure, or try to ensure, the child would be not only Gay like them, but deaf like them too. At that point I rather refrained from supporting Gay rights and query if it is right at all to inflict two serious issues where a child will endure considerable misery as they grow up.
[quote][p][bold]throwy1[/bold] wrote: Well, I'm a child of the late 60's and the 70's and certainly enjoyed the new found Freedom those decades brought. I am totally against same sex "marriage" Marriage is the union of one man and one woman.[/p][/quote]Of course it is. Its an relationship based on the family and having a mother and a father married to care for them. Not asking for sperm donations from other gays to propagate, to suggest they do exactly the same. It's like gay deaf in the USA who sought out a genetically deaf sperm donor to ensure, or try to ensure, the child would be not only Gay like them, but deaf like them too. At that point I rather refrained from supporting Gay rights and query if it is right at all to inflict two serious issues where a child will endure considerable misery as they grow up. Mervyn James
  • Score: 3

1:15am Fri 23 May 14

Carwyn Jones says...

"It's like gay deaf in the USA who sought out a genetically deaf sperm donor to ensure, or try to ensure, the child would be not only Gay like them, but deaf like them too."

Yeah, that happens all the time. We should watch out for this scourge on British society. If it happened in America we should watch out because these gays want to come over here and make people deaf.
"It's like gay deaf in the USA who sought out a genetically deaf sperm donor to ensure, or try to ensure, the child would be not only Gay like them, but deaf like them too." Yeah, that happens all the time. We should watch out for this scourge on British society. If it happened in America we should watch out because these gays want to come over here and make people deaf. Carwyn Jones
  • Score: 5

7:57am Fri 23 May 14

exMark says...

I don't agree with Gay marriage. But I legalizing me doesn't bother me that much.

What bothers me is allowing them to become parents. A child deserves a mother and father. Not to be bullied at school for having two daddies. Anyone who doesn't believe it would have an adverse effect on a childs life is severely mistaken.
I don't agree with Gay marriage. But I legalizing me doesn't bother me that much. What bothers me is allowing them to become parents. A child deserves a mother and father. Not to be bullied at school for having two daddies. Anyone who doesn't believe it would have an adverse effect on a childs life is severely mistaken. exMark
  • Score: -1

8:18am Fri 23 May 14

Katie Re-Registered says...

Personally, I feel that the legalisation of same sex marriage is a positive, progressive move and is a step towards the equalisation of marriage. Although I'm single I have absolutely no hang-ups about who marries whom as I realise it's literally none of my business.

Furthermore, those religious institutions that refuse to conduct same-sex marriage ceremonies should be forced to pay a tax for the state allowing them to become exempt. The heterosexist and gender normative bigots got off lightly in my view; a pathetic act of appeasement at a time that our nominally liberal democracies claim that they are fighting a 'war on terror' against reactionary religious fundamentalism.

Btw...traditionally marriage was not the equal union between a man and a woman that today's modern day right-wing commentators claim it was but was actually often a legal business transaction between two male parties - i.e. the groom would ask permission from the bride's father for her hand in marriage - in many cases the woman had no say in the transaction. Such arranged marriages were quite common in Britain and other parts of Europe until at least the end of the 19th century. For one thing, until 1867 everything that the bride inherited and owned became automatically the groom's property on marriage. Seriously!
Personally, I feel that the legalisation of same sex marriage is a positive, progressive move and is a step towards the equalisation of marriage. Although I'm single I have absolutely no hang-ups about who marries whom as I realise it's literally none of my business. Furthermore, those religious institutions that refuse to conduct same-sex marriage ceremonies should be forced to pay a tax for the state allowing them to become exempt. The heterosexist and gender normative bigots got off lightly in my view; a pathetic act of appeasement at a time that our nominally liberal democracies claim that they are fighting a 'war on terror' against reactionary religious fundamentalism. Btw...traditionally marriage was not the equal union between a man and a woman that today's modern day right-wing commentators claim it was but was actually often a legal business transaction between two male parties - i.e. the groom would ask permission from the bride's father for her hand in marriage - in many cases the woman had no say in the transaction. Such arranged marriages were quite common in Britain and other parts of Europe until at least the end of the 19th century. For one thing, until 1867 everything that the bride inherited and owned became automatically the groom's property on marriage. Seriously! Katie Re-Registered
  • Score: -1

8:44am Fri 23 May 14

Mervyn James says...

Carwyn Jones wrote:
"It's like gay deaf in the USA who sought out a genetically deaf sperm donor to ensure, or try to ensure, the child would be not only Gay like them, but deaf like them too."

Yeah, that happens all the time. We should watch out for this scourge on British society. If it happened in America we should watch out because these gays want to come over here and make people deaf.
They don't need to make the UK deaf 1 in 7 of us already are going that way. But there are two types, those who cannot hear, and those, who never listen.... I'd put you in the latter category.
[quote][p][bold]Carwyn Jones[/bold] wrote: "It's like gay deaf in the USA who sought out a genetically deaf sperm donor to ensure, or try to ensure, the child would be not only Gay like them, but deaf like them too." Yeah, that happens all the time. We should watch out for this scourge on British society. If it happened in America we should watch out because these gays want to come over here and make people deaf.[/p][/quote]They don't need to make the UK deaf 1 in 7 of us already are going that way. But there are two types, those who cannot hear, and those, who never listen.... I'd put you in the latter category. Mervyn James
  • Score: 0

9:12am Fri 23 May 14

Llanmartinangel says...

Mervyn James wrote:
Carwyn Jones wrote:
"It's like gay deaf in the USA who sought out a genetically deaf sperm donor to ensure, or try to ensure, the child would be not only Gay like them, but deaf like them too."

Yeah, that happens all the time. We should watch out for this scourge on British society. If it happened in America we should watch out because these gays want to come over here and make people deaf.
They don't need to make the UK deaf 1 in 7 of us already are going that way. But there are two types, those who cannot hear, and those, who never listen.... I'd put you in the latter category.
None so blind as those who can't see Mervyn. Gay marriage is a non-issue, however much a few are trying to make it so.
[quote][p][bold]Mervyn James[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Carwyn Jones[/bold] wrote: "It's like gay deaf in the USA who sought out a genetically deaf sperm donor to ensure, or try to ensure, the child would be not only Gay like them, but deaf like them too." Yeah, that happens all the time. We should watch out for this scourge on British society. If it happened in America we should watch out because these gays want to come over here and make people deaf.[/p][/quote]They don't need to make the UK deaf 1 in 7 of us already are going that way. But there are two types, those who cannot hear, and those, who never listen.... I'd put you in the latter category.[/p][/quote]None so blind as those who can't see Mervyn. Gay marriage is a non-issue, however much a few are trying to make it so. Llanmartinangel
  • Score: 4

5:38pm Fri 23 May 14

Carwyn Jones says...

The funny thing is that you always keep banging on about deaf issues, and the perceived discrimination that goes with it yet you are wholly bigoted on the issue of a bunch of same sex people that want to enter into a legal partnership. I would have thought that you of all people would understand that no good can come of trying to deny anyone a basic way of life.

As for the the gay couple trying to get a deaf gay child it is laughable to use that in an argument. They are obviously nutters and I would hope that every sane person on the planet would see that they should not (if they ever existed) represent their cause in the slightest.

Josef Fritzl and Fred and Rose West were a great bunch of parents eh? Perhaps we should stop heterosexual people from marrying and starting families too. Single parents were once ostracised but it is now a normal part of life and eventually same sex parents/guardians will become the norm. It is something you will have to deal with because it will happen.
The funny thing is that you always keep banging on about deaf issues, and the perceived discrimination that goes with it yet you are wholly bigoted on the issue of a bunch of same sex people that want to enter into a legal partnership. I would have thought that you of all people would understand that no good can come of trying to deny anyone a basic way of life. As for the the gay couple trying to get a deaf gay child it is laughable to use that in an argument. They are obviously nutters and I would hope that every sane person on the planet would see that they should not (if they ever existed) represent their cause in the slightest. Josef Fritzl and Fred and Rose West were a great bunch of parents eh? Perhaps we should stop heterosexual people from marrying and starting families too. Single parents were once ostracised but it is now a normal part of life and eventually same sex parents/guardians will become the norm. It is something you will have to deal with because it will happen. Carwyn Jones
  • Score: 2

5:39pm Fri 23 May 14

Carwyn Jones says...

That comment was aimed at Melvyn James or whatever he's called.
That comment was aimed at Melvyn James or whatever he's called. Carwyn Jones
  • Score: 1

2:15am Sat 24 May 14

mocyoung says...

The very fact this writer thinks that equality and diversity are mad ideas speaks volumes.

The continuing and disturbing propogation of the idea that certain people do not deserve basic rights based on their sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnic identity or social class is disgusting.

I do not understand why the Argus continues to allow these moronic dinosaurs column space. They are the letter writing equivalent of the crazy old man shouting at the pigeons on a park bench.
The very fact this writer thinks that equality and diversity are mad ideas speaks volumes. The continuing and disturbing propogation of the idea that certain people do not deserve basic rights based on their sexual orientation, gender identity, ethnic identity or social class is disgusting. I do not understand why the Argus continues to allow these moronic dinosaurs column space. They are the letter writing equivalent of the crazy old man shouting at the pigeons on a park bench. mocyoung
  • Score: 3

11:19am Sat 24 May 14

Llanmartinangel says...

exMark wrote:
I don't agree with Gay marriage. But I legalizing me doesn't bother me that much.

What bothers me is allowing them to become parents. A child deserves a mother and father. Not to be bullied at school for having two daddies. Anyone who doesn't believe it would have an adverse effect on a childs life is severely mistaken.
Allowing school yard bullies to dictate social policy is insane. Had they not been murdered by their straight parents, the dozens of kids like baby P and Victoria Climbie would have much preferred to have been brought up by happy, stable gay parents.
[quote][p][bold]exMark[/bold] wrote: I don't agree with Gay marriage. But I legalizing me doesn't bother me that much. What bothers me is allowing them to become parents. A child deserves a mother and father. Not to be bullied at school for having two daddies. Anyone who doesn't believe it would have an adverse effect on a childs life is severely mistaken.[/p][/quote]Allowing school yard bullies to dictate social policy is insane. Had they not been murdered by their straight parents, the dozens of kids like baby P and Victoria Climbie would have much preferred to have been brought up by happy, stable gay parents. Llanmartinangel
  • Score: 4

5:18pm Fri 30 May 14

varteg1 says...

Llanmartinangel wrote:
exMark wrote:
I don't agree with Gay marriage. But I legalizing me doesn't bother me that much.

What bothers me is allowing them to become parents. A child deserves a mother and father. Not to be bullied at school for having two daddies. Anyone who doesn't believe it would have an adverse effect on a childs life is severely mistaken.
Allowing school yard bullies to dictate social policy is insane. Had they not been murdered by their straight parents, the dozens of kids like baby P and Victoria Climbie would have much preferred to have been brought up by happy, stable gay parents.
I agree there seems a rational argument for what you say, but as far as marriage is concerned, it means man+woman, it does not mean man+man, nor woman + woman.

I have no bother with same gender people 'living' together, irrespective of their bed time antics, but to put such liaisons on an equal footing to a 'proper' marital relationship is downright perverse.
[quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]exMark[/bold] wrote: I don't agree with Gay marriage. But I legalizing me doesn't bother me that much. What bothers me is allowing them to become parents. A child deserves a mother and father. Not to be bullied at school for having two daddies. Anyone who doesn't believe it would have an adverse effect on a childs life is severely mistaken.[/p][/quote]Allowing school yard bullies to dictate social policy is insane. Had they not been murdered by their straight parents, the dozens of kids like baby P and Victoria Climbie would have much preferred to have been brought up by happy, stable gay parents.[/p][/quote]I agree there seems a rational argument for what you say, but as far as marriage is concerned, it means man+woman, it does not mean man+man, nor woman + woman. I have no bother with same gender people 'living' together, irrespective of their bed time antics, but to put such liaisons on an equal footing to a 'proper' marital relationship is downright perverse. varteg1
  • Score: -2

8:31am Sun 1 Jun 14

Carwyn Jones says...

varteg1 wrote:
Llanmartinangel wrote:
exMark wrote:
I don't agree with Gay marriage. But I legalizing me doesn't bother me that much.

What bothers me is allowing them to become parents. A child deserves a mother and father. Not to be bullied at school for having two daddies. Anyone who doesn't believe it would have an adverse effect on a childs life is severely mistaken.
Allowing school yard bullies to dictate social policy is insane. Had they not been murdered by their straight parents, the dozens of kids like baby P and Victoria Climbie would have much preferred to have been brought up by happy, stable gay parents.
I agree there seems a rational argument for what you say, but as far as marriage is concerned, it means man+woman, it does not mean man+man, nor woman + woman.

I have no bother with same gender people 'living' together, irrespective of their bed time antics, but to put such liaisons on an equal footing to a 'proper' marital relationship is downright perverse.
So based on your argument you are fine with everything apart from the usage of the word "marriage". Homosexuals can do whatever they want and you're fine with that but you get a bit picky over the definition of a word. Weird.
[quote][p][bold]varteg1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Llanmartinangel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]exMark[/bold] wrote: I don't agree with Gay marriage. But I legalizing me doesn't bother me that much. What bothers me is allowing them to become parents. A child deserves a mother and father. Not to be bullied at school for having two daddies. Anyone who doesn't believe it would have an adverse effect on a childs life is severely mistaken.[/p][/quote]Allowing school yard bullies to dictate social policy is insane. Had they not been murdered by their straight parents, the dozens of kids like baby P and Victoria Climbie would have much preferred to have been brought up by happy, stable gay parents.[/p][/quote]I agree there seems a rational argument for what you say, but as far as marriage is concerned, it means man+woman, it does not mean man+man, nor woman + woman. I have no bother with same gender people 'living' together, irrespective of their bed time antics, but to put such liaisons on an equal footing to a 'proper' marital relationship is downright perverse.[/p][/quote]So based on your argument you are fine with everything apart from the usage of the word "marriage". Homosexuals can do whatever they want and you're fine with that but you get a bit picky over the definition of a word. Weird. Carwyn Jones
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree