Transport woes

SURELY Newport deserves an apology from Arriva.

It tells us it can’t run trains from Ebbw Vale to Newport as the points and the signals are not tuned to the route.

Also, it completely omits Newport from its route map.

And then, surprise surprise, due to works between Newport and Cardiff, trains are running into Newport from Ebbw Vale and they are four coach trains.

As I wrote before, the service is a Cardiff service, not a Valleys one as there never was a direct service from Newport to Ebbw Vale in the past, one had to change at Aberbeeg. The route was up to Abertillery.

The track bed is still there if the will and money was available to get a Western Valley service again.

Previously, I had written off the three or four bus routes from Abergavenny to Cardiff and not one to Newport.

Recently I saw a new one - the board read “Pontypool for Cardiff” - yet another exclusion of Newport.

With the development of the city centre, a review of transport to the city is one of urgency.

Howard Hoare Llangynidr

Comments (6)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:34am Mon 16 Jun 14

Realist UK says...

Your expected apology from Arriva is misguided. Arriva provide the train service which is negotiated with Network Rail (NR) who own the infrastructure. NR dictate whether Arriva can run a timetabled service between Ebbe Vale direct to Newport. I agree that it seems the old arguments put forward by NR & the Welsh Assembly regarding signalling were nonsense. With this in mind I feel that your requested apology should come from those bodies who obviously have an agenda which isolates Newport from this beneficial train link.
Your expected apology from Arriva is misguided. Arriva provide the train service which is negotiated with Network Rail (NR) who own the infrastructure. NR dictate whether Arriva can run a timetabled service between Ebbe Vale direct to Newport. I agree that it seems the old arguments put forward by NR & the Welsh Assembly regarding signalling were nonsense. With this in mind I feel that your requested apology should come from those bodies who obviously have an agenda which isolates Newport from this beneficial train link. Realist UK
  • Score: 2

1:39pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Walter Devereux says...

As I wrote before, the service is a Cardiff service, not a Valleys one as there never was a direct service from Newport to Ebbw Vale in the past, one had to change at Aberbeeg.

What on earth is that supposed to mean? A "Cardiff service" not a "Valleys one". So it only goes in one direction? There was never a service from Cardiff in the past either, one had to change at Newport.
[quote]As I wrote before, the service is a Cardiff service, not a Valleys one as there never was a direct service from Newport to Ebbw Vale in the past, one had to change at Aberbeeg.[/quote] What on earth is that supposed to mean? A "Cardiff service" not a "Valleys one". So it only goes in one direction? There was never a service from Cardiff in the past either, one had to change at Newport. Walter Devereux
  • Score: 3

4:46pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Frankfurt says...

I believe that the restriction on the Western Valley rail service is caused by insufficient dual track between Gaer junction and Ebbw Vale. This means that trains can only pass one another at Risca. The signalling argument really is a red herring.
I believe that the restriction on the Western Valley rail service is caused by insufficient dual track between Gaer junction and Ebbw Vale. This means that trains can only pass one another at Risca. The signalling argument really is a red herring. Frankfurt
  • Score: 1

4:49pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Bobevans says...

Walter Devereux wrote:
As I wrote before, the service is a Cardiff service, not a Valleys one as there never was a direct service from Newport to Ebbw Vale in the past, one had to change at Aberbeeg.

What on earth is that supposed to mean? A "Cardiff service" not a "Valleys one". So it only goes in one direction? There was never a service from Cardiff in the past either, one had to change at Newport.
There was a direct train service from Newport to Ebbw Vale. It ceased 46 years ago
[quote][p][bold]Walter Devereux[/bold] wrote: [quote]As I wrote before, the service is a Cardiff service, not a Valleys one as there never was a direct service from Newport to Ebbw Vale in the past, one had to change at Aberbeeg.[/quote] What on earth is that supposed to mean? A "Cardiff service" not a "Valleys one". So it only goes in one direction? There was never a service from Cardiff in the past either, one had to change at Newport.[/p][/quote]There was a direct train service from Newport to Ebbw Vale. It ceased 46 years ago Bobevans
  • Score: -2

1:17am Fri 20 Jun 14

Howie' says...

Bobevans wrote:
Walter Devereux wrote:
As I wrote before, the service is a Cardiff service, not a Valleys one as there never was a direct service from Newport to Ebbw Vale in the past, one had to change at Aberbeeg.

What on earth is that supposed to mean? A "Cardiff service" not a "Valleys one". So it only goes in one direction? There was never a service from Cardiff in the past either, one had to change at Newport.
There was a direct train service from Newport to Ebbw Vale. It ceased 46 years ago
Wrong again Bobby Boy! It was 42 years ago in 1962.....Sorry no brownie points but you were closer than with most of your fantasy's.

http://en.wikipedia.
org/wiki/Ebbw_Valley
_Railway
[quote][p][bold]Bobevans[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Walter Devereux[/bold] wrote: [quote]As I wrote before, the service is a Cardiff service, not a Valleys one as there never was a direct service from Newport to Ebbw Vale in the past, one had to change at Aberbeeg.[/quote] What on earth is that supposed to mean? A "Cardiff service" not a "Valleys one". So it only goes in one direction? There was never a service from Cardiff in the past either, one had to change at Newport.[/p][/quote]There was a direct train service from Newport to Ebbw Vale. It ceased 46 years ago[/p][/quote]Wrong again Bobby Boy! It was 42 years ago in 1962.....Sorry no brownie points but you were closer than with most of your fantasy's. http://en.wikipedia. org/wiki/Ebbw_Valley _Railway Howie'
  • Score: 0

5:03pm Fri 20 Jun 14

Howie' says...

Howie' wrote:
Bobevans wrote:
Walter Devereux wrote:
As I wrote before, the service is a Cardiff service, not a Valleys one as there never was a direct service from Newport to Ebbw Vale in the past, one had to change at Aberbeeg.

What on earth is that supposed to mean? A "Cardiff service" not a "Valleys one". So it only goes in one direction? There was never a service from Cardiff in the past either, one had to change at Newport.
There was a direct train service from Newport to Ebbw Vale. It ceased 46 years ago
Wrong again Bobby Boy! It was 42 years ago in 1962.....Sorry no brownie points but you were closer than with most of your fantasy's.

http://en.wikipedia.

org/wiki/Ebbw_Valley

_Railway
oops, meant 52.
[quote][p][bold]Howie'[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bobevans[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Walter Devereux[/bold] wrote: [quote]As I wrote before, the service is a Cardiff service, not a Valleys one as there never was a direct service from Newport to Ebbw Vale in the past, one had to change at Aberbeeg.[/quote] What on earth is that supposed to mean? A "Cardiff service" not a "Valleys one". So it only goes in one direction? There was never a service from Cardiff in the past either, one had to change at Newport.[/p][/quote]There was a direct train service from Newport to Ebbw Vale. It ceased 46 years ago[/p][/quote]Wrong again Bobby Boy! It was 42 years ago in 1962.....Sorry no brownie points but you were closer than with most of your fantasy's. http://en.wikipedia. org/wiki/Ebbw_Valley _Railway[/p][/quote]oops, meant 52. Howie'
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree