First round

THE RESPONSE to the WAGS decision to erase the shameful name of Newport from the forth coming NATO summit has predicable yet sadly not received any condemnation from our promotion hungry pipsqueak AM’s Butler and Griffiths.

I also have seemed to have ruffled Paul Flynn’s feathers with my recent letter. He assured me that his daily diary published on the web does contain references to Newport. Sure enough about a month ago he does mention the refurbishment of a local department store and the Maindee carnival. To be honest I did not look back that far. I also notice whilst trawling his website with regards the NATO summit he states we must make sure the favourable publicity is not hijacked by other cities and amen to that but with the name of Newport now removed from the logo breaking all previous protocol I would say it’s first round to uncle Carwyn and the clowns of the bay.

C Bradley Caerleon Road Newport

Comments (10)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:25pm Thu 3 Jul 14

landyman3030 says...

I would say it's game, set and match to the WAG.
Motorway junctions closed, all traffic diverted through Newport, schools closed for two days with ensuing childcare concerns or forced days off for parents, businesses having to plan for the siege regarding deliveries and suppliers and stress all around. Somebody remind me again just what Newport residents are getting out of this deal? Please don't dish out that you can't get a hotel room for miles or the visitors and entourage have to eat and drink. We saw all of that with the Ryder Cup. The train station was busy bringing them in and then bussed directly to the venue. Everybody stayed outside of Newport and travelled in for the duration. Food and drink was supplied by vendors brought in from outside the area.
The only thing i see coming out of this debacle is that the Celtic Manor get a brand new fence around the perimeter.
If it's the WAG organizing this, they've won. Because we are having to put up with it and not Cardiff.
I would say it's game, set and match to the WAG. Motorway junctions closed, all traffic diverted through Newport, schools closed for two days with ensuing childcare concerns or forced days off for parents, businesses having to plan for the siege regarding deliveries and suppliers and stress all around. Somebody remind me again just what Newport residents are getting out of this deal? Please don't dish out that you can't get a hotel room for miles or the visitors and entourage have to eat and drink. We saw all of that with the Ryder Cup. The train station was busy bringing them in and then bussed directly to the venue. Everybody stayed outside of Newport and travelled in for the duration. Food and drink was supplied by vendors brought in from outside the area. The only thing i see coming out of this debacle is that the Celtic Manor get a brand new fence around the perimeter. If it's the WAG organizing this, they've won. Because we are having to put up with it and not Cardiff. landyman3030
  • Score: 0

5:30pm Thu 3 Jul 14

scraptheWAG says...

there will be fleets of buses like in the ryder cup to carry them down into cardiff
there will be fleets of buses like in the ryder cup to carry them down into cardiff scraptheWAG
  • Score: 1

7:11pm Thu 3 Jul 14

Robert Shillabeer says...

The WAG has nothing to do with this conference, it's UK Government who are in charge. It will be a non-event as far as Newport is concerned, no attendees at the conference will be staying in Newport as hotels well outside will be used because they are bigger and better than anything available in Newport. Yes you will have the media in local hotels but again they will not be the focus of it all. Why schools are being shut is pointless as the centre will be on the Coldra and the main venue, far too much fuss being made about it. Just hope it comes and goes very quickly.
The WAG has nothing to do with this conference, it's UK Government who are in charge. It will be a non-event as far as Newport is concerned, no attendees at the conference will be staying in Newport as hotels well outside will be used because they are bigger and better than anything available in Newport. Yes you will have the media in local hotels but again they will not be the focus of it all. Why schools are being shut is pointless as the centre will be on the Coldra and the main venue, far too much fuss being made about it. Just hope it comes and goes very quickly. Robert Shillabeer
  • Score: 6

7:35pm Thu 3 Jul 14

scraptheWAG says...

Robert Shillabeer wrote:
The WAG has nothing to do with this conference, it's UK Government who are in charge. It will be a non-event as far as Newport is concerned, no attendees at the conference will be staying in Newport as hotels well outside will be used because they are bigger and better than anything available in Newport. Yes you will have the media in local hotels but again they will not be the focus of it all. Why schools are being shut is pointless as the centre will be on the Coldra and the main venue, far too much fuss being made about it. Just hope it comes and goes very quickly.
so who decided to drop the name newport ??
[quote][p][bold]Robert Shillabeer[/bold] wrote: The WAG has nothing to do with this conference, it's UK Government who are in charge. It will be a non-event as far as Newport is concerned, no attendees at the conference will be staying in Newport as hotels well outside will be used because they are bigger and better than anything available in Newport. Yes you will have the media in local hotels but again they will not be the focus of it all. Why schools are being shut is pointless as the centre will be on the Coldra and the main venue, far too much fuss being made about it. Just hope it comes and goes very quickly.[/p][/quote]so who decided to drop the name newport ?? scraptheWAG
  • Score: 1

9:57pm Thu 3 Jul 14

landyman3030 says...

Robert Shillabeer wrote:
The WAG has nothing to do with this conference, it's UK Government who are in charge. It will be a non-event as far as Newport is concerned, no attendees at the conference will be staying in Newport as hotels well outside will be used because they are bigger and better than anything available in Newport. Yes you will have the media in local hotels but again they will not be the focus of it all. Why schools are being shut is pointless as the centre will be on the Coldra and the main venue, far too much fuss being made about it. Just hope it comes and goes very quickly.
Schools are being shut because the teachers cannot guarantee they can get in and safely supervise the children. The teachers doubt if they can get in because of the road closures and predicted congestion and mayhem of bringing motorway traffic through Newport for two days.
[quote][p][bold]Robert Shillabeer[/bold] wrote: The WAG has nothing to do with this conference, it's UK Government who are in charge. It will be a non-event as far as Newport is concerned, no attendees at the conference will be staying in Newport as hotels well outside will be used because they are bigger and better than anything available in Newport. Yes you will have the media in local hotels but again they will not be the focus of it all. Why schools are being shut is pointless as the centre will be on the Coldra and the main venue, far too much fuss being made about it. Just hope it comes and goes very quickly.[/p][/quote]Schools are being shut because the teachers cannot guarantee they can get in and safely supervise the children. The teachers doubt if they can get in because of the road closures and predicted congestion and mayhem of bringing motorway traffic through Newport for two days. landyman3030
  • Score: 1

1:00pm Fri 4 Jul 14

throwy1 says...

landyman3030 wrote:
Robert Shillabeer wrote:
The WAG has nothing to do with this conference, it's UK Government who are in charge. It will be a non-event as far as Newport is concerned, no attendees at the conference will be staying in Newport as hotels well outside will be used because they are bigger and better than anything available in Newport. Yes you will have the media in local hotels but again they will not be the focus of it all. Why schools are being shut is pointless as the centre will be on the Coldra and the main venue, far too much fuss being made about it. Just hope it comes and goes very quickly.
Schools are being shut because the teachers cannot guarantee they can get in and safely supervise the children. The teachers doubt if they can get in because of the road closures and predicted congestion and mayhem of bringing motorway traffic through Newport for two days.
Teachers cannot guarantee getting into Newport? Rubbish most live in Newport or surrounding areas. Road closures are in the area of The Celtic, are you telling me residents of Newport cannot get around the city without using the M4?
[quote][p][bold]landyman3030[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robert Shillabeer[/bold] wrote: The WAG has nothing to do with this conference, it's UK Government who are in charge. It will be a non-event as far as Newport is concerned, no attendees at the conference will be staying in Newport as hotels well outside will be used because they are bigger and better than anything available in Newport. Yes you will have the media in local hotels but again they will not be the focus of it all. Why schools are being shut is pointless as the centre will be on the Coldra and the main venue, far too much fuss being made about it. Just hope it comes and goes very quickly.[/p][/quote]Schools are being shut because the teachers cannot guarantee they can get in and safely supervise the children. The teachers doubt if they can get in because of the road closures and predicted congestion and mayhem of bringing motorway traffic through Newport for two days.[/p][/quote]Teachers cannot guarantee getting into Newport? Rubbish most live in Newport or surrounding areas. Road closures are in the area of The Celtic, are you telling me residents of Newport cannot get around the city without using the M4? throwy1
  • Score: 0

1:58pm Fri 4 Jul 14

grandmammamia says...

throwy1 wrote:
landyman3030 wrote:
Robert Shillabeer wrote: The WAG has nothing to do with this conference, it's UK Government who are in charge. It will be a non-event as far as Newport is concerned, no attendees at the conference will be staying in Newport as hotels well outside will be used because they are bigger and better than anything available in Newport. Yes you will have the media in local hotels but again they will not be the focus of it all. Why schools are being shut is pointless as the centre will be on the Coldra and the main venue, far too much fuss being made about it. Just hope it comes and goes very quickly.
Schools are being shut because the teachers cannot guarantee they can get in and safely supervise the children. The teachers doubt if they can get in because of the road closures and predicted congestion and mayhem of bringing motorway traffic through Newport for two days.
Teachers cannot guarantee getting into Newport? Rubbish most live in Newport or surrounding areas. Road closures are in the area of The Celtic, are you telling me residents of Newport cannot get around the city without using the M4?
Teachers won't be able to get in.....but other workers presumably will?

My son or wife won't be able to get in as one of them will have to take annual leave to mind the children.

As far as I know , no other works/companies/busi
nesses are closing because they think their staff can't get in.

My employer has acknowledged we might have difficulty so has kindly given us the option to take leave 'provided it is OK with our line managers and won't affect the business '. Great. Otherwise we should anticipate the traffic delays and set off early and if we're late-tough.

My husband drives/delivers locally. He's just got to get on with it.
[quote][p][bold]throwy1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]landyman3030[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robert Shillabeer[/bold] wrote: The WAG has nothing to do with this conference, it's UK Government who are in charge. It will be a non-event as far as Newport is concerned, no attendees at the conference will be staying in Newport as hotels well outside will be used because they are bigger and better than anything available in Newport. Yes you will have the media in local hotels but again they will not be the focus of it all. Why schools are being shut is pointless as the centre will be on the Coldra and the main venue, far too much fuss being made about it. Just hope it comes and goes very quickly.[/p][/quote]Schools are being shut because the teachers cannot guarantee they can get in and safely supervise the children. The teachers doubt if they can get in because of the road closures and predicted congestion and mayhem of bringing motorway traffic through Newport for two days.[/p][/quote]Teachers cannot guarantee getting into Newport? Rubbish most live in Newport or surrounding areas. Road closures are in the area of The Celtic, are you telling me residents of Newport cannot get around the city without using the M4?[/p][/quote]Teachers won't be able to get in.....but other workers presumably will? My son or wife won't be able to get in as one of them will have to take annual leave to mind the children. As far as I know , no other works/companies/busi nesses are closing because they think their staff can't get in. My employer has acknowledged we might have difficulty so has kindly given us the option to take leave 'provided it is OK with our line managers and won't affect the business '. Great. Otherwise we should anticipate the traffic delays and set off early and if we're late-tough. My husband drives/delivers locally. He's just got to get on with it. grandmammamia
  • Score: 2

9:30pm Fri 4 Jul 14

scraptheWAG says...

grandmammamia wrote:
throwy1 wrote:
landyman3030 wrote:
Robert Shillabeer wrote: The WAG has nothing to do with this conference, it's UK Government who are in charge. It will be a non-event as far as Newport is concerned, no attendees at the conference will be staying in Newport as hotels well outside will be used because they are bigger and better than anything available in Newport. Yes you will have the media in local hotels but again they will not be the focus of it all. Why schools are being shut is pointless as the centre will be on the Coldra and the main venue, far too much fuss being made about it. Just hope it comes and goes very quickly.
Schools are being shut because the teachers cannot guarantee they can get in and safely supervise the children. The teachers doubt if they can get in because of the road closures and predicted congestion and mayhem of bringing motorway traffic through Newport for two days.
Teachers cannot guarantee getting into Newport? Rubbish most live in Newport or surrounding areas. Road closures are in the area of The Celtic, are you telling me residents of Newport cannot get around the city without using the M4?
Teachers won't be able to get in.....but other workers presumably will?

My son or wife won't be able to get in as one of them will have to take annual leave to mind the children.

As far as I know , no other works/companies/busi

nesses are closing because they think their staff can't get in.

My employer has acknowledged we might have difficulty so has kindly given us the option to take leave 'provided it is OK with our line managers and won't affect the business '. Great. Otherwise we should anticipate the traffic delays and set off early and if we're late-tough.

My husband drives/delivers locally. He's just got to get on with it.
unfortunately your husband works in the private sector having worked in both let me assure you the ones in the public sector have a charmed easy life . Some moan about their lot and when you say to them where did you work before they say "nowhere i have been in the public sector seen college"
[quote][p][bold]grandmammamia[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]throwy1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]landyman3030[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robert Shillabeer[/bold] wrote: The WAG has nothing to do with this conference, it's UK Government who are in charge. It will be a non-event as far as Newport is concerned, no attendees at the conference will be staying in Newport as hotels well outside will be used because they are bigger and better than anything available in Newport. Yes you will have the media in local hotels but again they will not be the focus of it all. Why schools are being shut is pointless as the centre will be on the Coldra and the main venue, far too much fuss being made about it. Just hope it comes and goes very quickly.[/p][/quote]Schools are being shut because the teachers cannot guarantee they can get in and safely supervise the children. The teachers doubt if they can get in because of the road closures and predicted congestion and mayhem of bringing motorway traffic through Newport for two days.[/p][/quote]Teachers cannot guarantee getting into Newport? Rubbish most live in Newport or surrounding areas. Road closures are in the area of The Celtic, are you telling me residents of Newport cannot get around the city without using the M4?[/p][/quote]Teachers won't be able to get in.....but other workers presumably will? My son or wife won't be able to get in as one of them will have to take annual leave to mind the children. As far as I know , no other works/companies/busi nesses are closing because they think their staff can't get in. My employer has acknowledged we might have difficulty so has kindly given us the option to take leave 'provided it is OK with our line managers and won't affect the business '. Great. Otherwise we should anticipate the traffic delays and set off early and if we're late-tough. My husband drives/delivers locally. He's just got to get on with it.[/p][/quote]unfortunately your husband works in the private sector having worked in both let me assure you the ones in the public sector have a charmed easy life . Some moan about their lot and when you say to them where did you work before they say "nowhere i have been in the public sector seen college" scraptheWAG
  • Score: -1

4:39pm Sat 5 Jul 14

DraigDun says...

scraptheWAG wrote:
Robert Shillabeer wrote:
The WAG has nothing to do with this conference, it's UK Government who are in charge. It will be a non-event as far as Newport is concerned, no attendees at the conference will be staying in Newport as hotels well outside will be used because they are bigger and better than anything available in Newport. Yes you will have the media in local hotels but again they will not be the focus of it all. Why schools are being shut is pointless as the centre will be on the Coldra and the main venue, far too much fuss being made about it. Just hope it comes and goes very quickly.
so who decided to drop the name newport ??
Most likely a combination of UK govt representatives and NATO staff.
The WAG is not part of NATO. When you understand this, maybe you will discover a fairly informed and objective way to oppose Welsh devolution, rather than simply hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate...
[quote][p][bold]scraptheWAG[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robert Shillabeer[/bold] wrote: The WAG has nothing to do with this conference, it's UK Government who are in charge. It will be a non-event as far as Newport is concerned, no attendees at the conference will be staying in Newport as hotels well outside will be used because they are bigger and better than anything available in Newport. Yes you will have the media in local hotels but again they will not be the focus of it all. Why schools are being shut is pointless as the centre will be on the Coldra and the main venue, far too much fuss being made about it. Just hope it comes and goes very quickly.[/p][/quote]so who decided to drop the name newport ??[/p][/quote]Most likely a combination of UK govt representatives and NATO staff. The WAG is not part of NATO. When you understand this, maybe you will discover a fairly informed and objective way to oppose Welsh devolution, rather than simply hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate... DraigDun
  • Score: 3

7:23pm Sat 5 Jul 14

scraptheWAG says...

DraigDun wrote:
scraptheWAG wrote:
Robert Shillabeer wrote:
The WAG has nothing to do with this conference, it's UK Government who are in charge. It will be a non-event as far as Newport is concerned, no attendees at the conference will be staying in Newport as hotels well outside will be used because they are bigger and better than anything available in Newport. Yes you will have the media in local hotels but again they will not be the focus of it all. Why schools are being shut is pointless as the centre will be on the Coldra and the main venue, far too much fuss being made about it. Just hope it comes and goes very quickly.
so who decided to drop the name newport ??
Most likely a combination of UK govt representatives and NATO staff.
The WAG is not part of NATO. When you understand this, maybe you will discover a fairly informed and objective way to oppose Welsh devolution, rather than simply hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate...
maybe your right but do you agree if it was five miles west down the M4 it would have been called the Cardiff nato sumitt.

As for devolution the facts speak for themselves on the economy, the health service and education
[quote][p][bold]DraigDun[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]scraptheWAG[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robert Shillabeer[/bold] wrote: The WAG has nothing to do with this conference, it's UK Government who are in charge. It will be a non-event as far as Newport is concerned, no attendees at the conference will be staying in Newport as hotels well outside will be used because they are bigger and better than anything available in Newport. Yes you will have the media in local hotels but again they will not be the focus of it all. Why schools are being shut is pointless as the centre will be on the Coldra and the main venue, far too much fuss being made about it. Just hope it comes and goes very quickly.[/p][/quote]so who decided to drop the name newport ??[/p][/quote]Most likely a combination of UK govt representatives and NATO staff. The WAG is not part of NATO. When you understand this, maybe you will discover a fairly informed and objective way to oppose Welsh devolution, rather than simply hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate...[/p][/quote]maybe your right but do you agree if it was five miles west down the M4 it would have been called the Cardiff nato sumitt. As for devolution the facts speak for themselves on the economy, the health service and education scraptheWAG
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree