Post office trek

First published in Letters

SO DAME Butler is delighted to open the newly relocated post office, which she and the powers-that-be think is easily accessible to who? People living that end of town, not people from the east.

I bet Dame Butler did not come into Newport on the bus from Caerleon, Malpas or Corporation Road areas, get off the bus at the Carpenter’s Arms and walk all the way down to Emlyn Walk or Kingsway Centre. If she did I don’t suppose she had a walking stick or walking frame, or suffer with breathing problems.

The market tenants and the shops are crying out for customers. The bus stops have helped, people got off the buses, went to the post office, did their shopping and caught a bus home. For people with difficulties it is now impossible.

You have banks, building societies, hotels etc all located in the High Street area and needing a post office in the position that it has been for many years.

Well Cwmbran – expect an increase in footfall, the buses to you are always full, and they will get even fuller. Goodbye Newport.

O Davies, Newport

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:18pm Tue 19 Aug 14

Walter Devereux says...

The Post office make commercial decisions as to where their branches are. Who bases their entire life around where a post office is in the 21st century anyway?
The Post office make commercial decisions as to where their branches are. Who bases their entire life around where a post office is in the 21st century anyway? Walter Devereux
  • Score: 1

7:11pm Tue 19 Aug 14

landyman3030 says...

Walter Devereux wrote:
The Post office make commercial decisions as to where their branches are. Who bases their entire life around where a post office is in the 21st century anyway?
Older people that's who. They may get their pension electronically these days but they still like to pay for the savings stamps in the Post Office.
[quote][p][bold]Walter Devereux[/bold] wrote: The Post office make commercial decisions as to where their branches are. Who bases their entire life around where a post office is in the 21st century anyway?[/p][/quote]Older people that's who. They may get their pension electronically these days but they still like to pay for the savings stamps in the Post Office. landyman3030
  • Score: 1

8:40pm Tue 19 Aug 14

Wazproud says...

Well i had to make the trip this week to the Post office. bit of a pain to be truthfull, as there is nothing else worth shopping for in that end of town. find it hard to belive the moved it from the top end of town to the bottom well almost.!!! Perhaps it to get the footfall up in numbers for the so called Kingsway shopping center (DUMP) .
Well i had to make the trip this week to the Post office. bit of a pain to be truthfull, as there is nothing else worth shopping for in that end of town. find it hard to belive the moved it from the top end of town to the bottom well almost.!!! Perhaps it to get the footfall up in numbers for the so called Kingsway shopping center (DUMP) . Wazproud
  • Score: -2

11:36pm Tue 19 Aug 14

pbhj says...

landyman3030 wrote:
Walter Devereux wrote:
The Post office make commercial decisions as to where their branches are. Who bases their entire life around where a post office is in the 21st century anyway?
Older people that's who. They may get their pension electronically these days but they still like to pay for the savings stamps in the Post Office.
FYI savings stamps stopped being used by the Post Office in 2010. You can have a Budget Card issued by the Bank of Ireland instead, it's like a bank account but with no interest and limitations on paying in and retrieving money. You'd be better with a bank or building society account AFAICT.
[quote][p][bold]landyman3030[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Walter Devereux[/bold] wrote: The Post office make commercial decisions as to where their branches are. Who bases their entire life around where a post office is in the 21st century anyway?[/p][/quote]Older people that's who. They may get their pension electronically these days but they still like to pay for the savings stamps in the Post Office.[/p][/quote]FYI savings stamps stopped being used by the Post Office in 2010. You can have a Budget Card issued by the Bank of Ireland instead, it's like a bank account but with no interest and limitations on paying in and retrieving money. You'd be better with a bank or building society account AFAICT. pbhj
  • Score: 0

11:38pm Tue 19 Aug 14

keithbob says...

totally ridiculous idea when most bus services are up the high st and station area,where are the buses near kingsway now??
totally ridiculous idea when most bus services are up the high st and station area,where are the buses near kingsway now?? keithbob
  • Score: -3

9:34am Wed 20 Aug 14

landyman3030 says...

pbhj wrote:
landyman3030 wrote:
Walter Devereux wrote:
The Post office make commercial decisions as to where their branches are. Who bases their entire life around where a post office is in the 21st century anyway?
Older people that's who. They may get their pension electronically these days but they still like to pay for the savings stamps in the Post Office.
FYI savings stamps stopped being used by the Post Office in 2010. You can have a Budget Card issued by the Bank of Ireland instead, it's like a bank account but with no interest and limitations on paying in and retrieving money. You'd be better with a bank or building society account AFAICT.
Thankyou pbhj for the information. I was just trying to give an example of how and why older people find it hard to adapt to the electronic age and that there are still many who like to go to the Post Office for their stamps, the Bakery for the loaf, the Butcher...
It is a long way to walk if you have caught the bus in and you are older or carrying shopping. Might be a nice idea to see if a business idea of putting a small post office into the indoor market to deal with business at that end of town. Probably wouldn't be financially viable but a nice idea for the increasing foot traffic in the market.
[quote][p][bold]pbhj[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]landyman3030[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Walter Devereux[/bold] wrote: The Post office make commercial decisions as to where their branches are. Who bases their entire life around where a post office is in the 21st century anyway?[/p][/quote]Older people that's who. They may get their pension electronically these days but they still like to pay for the savings stamps in the Post Office.[/p][/quote]FYI savings stamps stopped being used by the Post Office in 2010. You can have a Budget Card issued by the Bank of Ireland instead, it's like a bank account but with no interest and limitations on paying in and retrieving money. You'd be better with a bank or building society account AFAICT.[/p][/quote]Thankyou pbhj for the information. I was just trying to give an example of how and why older people find it hard to adapt to the electronic age and that there are still many who like to go to the Post Office for their stamps, the Bakery for the loaf, the Butcher... It is a long way to walk if you have caught the bus in and you are older or carrying shopping. Might be a nice idea to see if a business idea of putting a small post office into the indoor market to deal with business at that end of town. Probably wouldn't be financially viable but a nice idea for the increasing foot traffic in the market. landyman3030
  • Score: 0

5:18pm Wed 20 Aug 14

mrleebob says...

landyman3030 wrote:
pbhj wrote:
landyman3030 wrote:
Walter Devereux wrote:
The Post office make commercial decisions as to where their branches are. Who bases their entire life around where a post office is in the 21st century anyway?
Older people that's who. They may get their pension electronically these days but they still like to pay for the savings stamps in the Post Office.
FYI savings stamps stopped being used by the Post Office in 2010. You can have a Budget Card issued by the Bank of Ireland instead, it's like a bank account but with no interest and limitations on paying in and retrieving money. You'd be better with a bank or building society account AFAICT.
Thankyou pbhj for the information. I was just trying to give an example of how and why older people find it hard to adapt to the electronic age and that there are still many who like to go to the Post Office for their stamps, the Bakery for the loaf, the Butcher...
It is a long way to walk if you have caught the bus in and you are older or carrying shopping. Might be a nice idea to see if a business idea of putting a small post office into the indoor market to deal with business at that end of town. Probably wouldn't be financially viable but a nice idea for the increasing foot traffic in the market.
Why would a business do something that wasn't financially viable? You'd soon complain when prices went up to cover the defecit.
[quote][p][bold]landyman3030[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]pbhj[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]landyman3030[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Walter Devereux[/bold] wrote: The Post office make commercial decisions as to where their branches are. Who bases their entire life around where a post office is in the 21st century anyway?[/p][/quote]Older people that's who. They may get their pension electronically these days but they still like to pay for the savings stamps in the Post Office.[/p][/quote]FYI savings stamps stopped being used by the Post Office in 2010. You can have a Budget Card issued by the Bank of Ireland instead, it's like a bank account but with no interest and limitations on paying in and retrieving money. You'd be better with a bank or building society account AFAICT.[/p][/quote]Thankyou pbhj for the information. I was just trying to give an example of how and why older people find it hard to adapt to the electronic age and that there are still many who like to go to the Post Office for their stamps, the Bakery for the loaf, the Butcher... It is a long way to walk if you have caught the bus in and you are older or carrying shopping. Might be a nice idea to see if a business idea of putting a small post office into the indoor market to deal with business at that end of town. Probably wouldn't be financially viable but a nice idea for the increasing foot traffic in the market.[/p][/quote]Why would a business do something that wasn't financially viable? You'd soon complain when prices went up to cover the defecit. mrleebob
  • Score: 2

9:25pm Wed 20 Aug 14

keithbob says...

keithbob wrote:
totally ridiculous idea when most bus services are up the high st and station area,where are the buses near kingsway now??
so those three thumbs down may be youngsters who are not affected by the move or never use the p.o then?
[quote][p][bold]keithbob[/bold] wrote: totally ridiculous idea when most bus services are up the high st and station area,where are the buses near kingsway now??[/p][/quote]so those three thumbs down may be youngsters who are not affected by the move or never use the p.o then? keithbob
  • Score: -2

9:25pm Wed 20 Aug 14

keithbob says...

keithbob wrote:
totally ridiculous idea when most bus services are up the high st and station area,where are the buses near kingsway now??
so those three thumbs down may be youngsters who are not affected by the move or never use the p.o then?
[quote][p][bold]keithbob[/bold] wrote: totally ridiculous idea when most bus services are up the high st and station area,where are the buses near kingsway now??[/p][/quote]so those three thumbs down may be youngsters who are not affected by the move or never use the p.o then? keithbob
  • Score: -2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree