Post office

First published in Letters

I DISAGREE with Dame Rosemary Butler when she says that the new post office will be easily accessible. Not if you are elderly and your bus stop is opposite Newport railway station.

Mrs Hodges, Bettws, Newport

Comments (4)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:46pm Wed 20 Aug 14

Mervyn James says...

The assumption is everyone uses the bank for everything or the computer/iphone. Many elderly WANT to go to town for a very good reason and that is to get out of the house for a while where they are isolated, so a trip to the post office or shops is a necessity for them, a reason to get out of the house. Maybe if these clowns on mobiles 24/7 put it away for 5 minutes, and talked to them....
The assumption is everyone uses the bank for everything or the computer/iphone. Many elderly WANT to go to town for a very good reason and that is to get out of the house for a while where they are isolated, so a trip to the post office or shops is a necessity for them, a reason to get out of the house. Maybe if these clowns on mobiles 24/7 put it away for 5 minutes, and talked to them.... Mervyn James
  • Score: -1

8:34pm Thu 21 Aug 14

mrleebob says...

What if you're not elderly? The world doesn't revolve around them I'm afraid.
What if you're not elderly? The world doesn't revolve around them I'm afraid. mrleebob
  • Score: 1

7:59pm Mon 25 Aug 14

Mervyn James says...

mrleebob wrote:
What if you're not elderly? The world doesn't revolve around them I'm afraid.
As they are approaching the MAJORITY of the population, can they afford to ignore ? The world doesn't revolve around youth either. We are supposed to be a tolerant and inclusive society, at least according to statistics, maybe they didn't ask anyone in Newport.
[quote][p][bold]mrleebob[/bold] wrote: What if you're not elderly? The world doesn't revolve around them I'm afraid.[/p][/quote]As they are approaching the MAJORITY of the population, can they afford to ignore ? The world doesn't revolve around youth either. We are supposed to be a tolerant and inclusive society, at least according to statistics, maybe they didn't ask anyone in Newport. Mervyn James
  • Score: -1

10:21pm Mon 25 Aug 14

Bobevans says...

Mervyn James wrote:
mrleebob wrote:
What if you're not elderly? The world doesn't revolve around them I'm afraid.
As they are approaching the MAJORITY of the population, can they afford to ignore ? The world doesn't revolve around youth either. We are supposed to be a tolerant and inclusive society, at least according to statistics, maybe they didn't ask anyone in Newport.
Most people do not use Post Offices on any regular basis and usage continues to decline. You cannot keep POs Office open every where just because one or two people wish to use them

The doorstep postal services will be cut back within 10 years as that is becoming no longer viable. The Royal Mail are already moving forward last collection from most mailboxes to 9am Mondays to Fridays and 7am on Saturdays to cut costs

THe world moves on and you have to move with it
[quote][p][bold]Mervyn James[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mrleebob[/bold] wrote: What if you're not elderly? The world doesn't revolve around them I'm afraid.[/p][/quote]As they are approaching the MAJORITY of the population, can they afford to ignore ? The world doesn't revolve around youth either. We are supposed to be a tolerant and inclusive society, at least according to statistics, maybe they didn't ask anyone in Newport.[/p][/quote]Most people do not use Post Offices on any regular basis and usage continues to decline. You cannot keep POs Office open every where just because one or two people wish to use them The doorstep postal services will be cut back within 10 years as that is becoming no longer viable. The Royal Mail are already moving forward last collection from most mailboxes to 9am Mondays to Fridays and 7am on Saturdays to cut costs THe world moves on and you have to move with it Bobevans
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree