Gwent ready to party for royal wedding
11:54am Friday 29th April 2011 in Gwent royal wedding news
THE bunting is up, the champagne corks are ready to pop, and as Kate and William’s big day dawns, people up and down Gwent are ready to celebrate.
Street party organisers have been working day and night to get ready for their community events, with more than thirty street parties due to take place across Gwent today.
In Pontllanfraith, the residents of Bryn Road have strung up more than 20 lengths of bunting, moved a life-sized cut-out of the royal couple into place, and made hundreds of sandwiches, quiches and sausage rolls for their 109 guests.
Organiser Kris Harris said: “This wedding has taken more organising than my own! We’re all really excited.”
In Bassaleg, neighbours on Church Crescent are expecting around 120 people to celebrate the future king and his newbride.
Organisers have spent the week collecting food hampers, cake orders and commemorative mugs and plates for their guests.
Resident Claire Young said: “It’s taken a lot of effort, but we’re ready to go!”
Royal wedding excitement reached fever pitch at a Caerleon nursery yesterday when pupils took part in mock weddings and held a street party.
Around 70 children at Seren Fach Nursery, Ponthir dressed as princes and princesses, painted their faces in the colours of the Union Jack, and held several mock weddings in an area transformed into a church.
Celebrations also started early at Cwmbran’s Ty Canol Court sheltered housing complex, who were the winners of the Argus royal wedding street party.
Around 50 residents – the oldest of which is 92 – were joined by family and friends yesterday for a royal wedding party, after winning £500 from Sainsbury’s to spend on soft drinks and food and £500 from Party Delights for partyware.
But elsewhere, Gwent couples were trying to avoid royal wedding fever by postponing their wedding ceremonies to avoid a clash with the Kate and William.
Newport Register Office said several weddings which had been booked months or even years in advance have been called off or rearranged.
Della Mahony, superintendent registrar at Caerphilly Register Office, said they had six weddings provisionally booked for today, but all bar one couple pulled out.