Morgan appointed as MCC president

First published in Sport

TREDEGAR'S David Morgan has been appointed as the next president of the MCC.

Former International Cricket Council president Morgan, who has also served as chairman of the England and Wales Cricket Board, will take over the post on October 1 after being nominated by current MCC president Mike Gatting.

"David Morgan has been and remains one of the most influential voices in the world game, and I'm sure he will do an excellent job in leading MCC through a very important time in its history," said Gatting.

"He is ambitious, creative and efficient and will be a fantastic leader for this wonderful club.

"I have thoroughly enjoyed my time as MCC president so far, and I am looking forward to seeing the club through the Lord's bicentenary celebrations in my final few months.

"David is the ideal person to succeed me and I'm delighted he accepted my invitation."

Morgan spent four years as chairman of Glamorgan between 1993 and 1997 before leaving the county to take up the post of deputy chairman of the ECB.

The 77-year-old, who was handed an OBE for services to cricket in 2008, was made chairman in 2002 and held that position before serving a two-year term as president of the ICC.

He returned to Glamorgan as president in 2012 and will continue to hold that role while he serves his tenure at the MCC.

"While I am honoured to have been nominated by Mike Gatting as president designate of the MCC, this will not diminish my commitment to Glamorgan in any way," he told Glamorgan's official website.

"I look forward to an exciting 12 months including the Investec Ashes series.

"I have long admired the values and traditions of the MCC, and I am sure the experience will be one of the highlights of my career."

Morgan's appointment came during the MCC's annual general meeting on Wednesday when Gatting confirmed that there will be no redevelopment of the Nursery End until work at the Pavilion End of the ground is complete.

As part of the Lord's Masterplan, the MCC has gained planning permission for the redevelopment of the Warner Stand with work scheduled to commence, subject to members' approval, in September 2015.

"The club is putting all its resources, at present, into plans to redevelop the Pavilion End of the Ground, including the south-western corner - which comprises the Tavern and Allen Stands, the Thomas Lord Suite, the Middlesex Office and the Pavilion extensions," said Gatting.

He added: "We will press on with development plans for the whole south-western corner of Lord's, to include the new Tavern and Allen Stands, which are scheduled to be redeveloped after the Warner Stand.

"We will also continue to consult with members on this project to maintain the status of Lord's as the best cricket ground in the world."

The two-phase construction of the Warner Stand is expected to be completed for the start of summer 2017.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree