THE Welsh women’s 4x100m relay squad, featuring Newport sprinter Mica Moore, declared themselves over the moon to set a new national record in their Glasgow 2014 final.

The youngsters, who only made it to the final after their original disqualification from their semi-final was overturned late last night, finished seventh in 44.51 seconds.

Moore, who was involved in the controversial changeover with Hannah Thomas in the semi, was delighted to have got round without any problems in the final in front of a packed Hampden Park.

“I’m absolutely delighted,” said the 21-year-old former Newport Harrier who ran the third leg.

“After the heat I was a little bit wary that it could go wrong again but I had so much trust in Hannah and I knew that we’d be OK.

“Obviously our changeover did mess up in the heat but we went back to the drawing board, worked out what we needed to do, brought out the check marks and went out there with confidence.

“And as soon as the baton was in my hands I screamed ‘yay’ in my head.

“I’m really pleased that we didn’t look out of place.”

Brier, at 16 the youngest member of Team Wales, ran the first leg and was also delighted.

“We are over the moon,” said the teenager from Neath. “After that heat we came away so disappointed but now we can’t stop smiling.

“It was amazing and it’s great to prove that we deserved to be in that final.

“I’m so proud of these girls, they’re amazing,” she added.

“We walked out there and the crowd noise and the flashing lights just hit you.

“As soon as the gun goes the crowd go crazy and it was really good.

“We knew where we went wrong in the heat so we just had to play it safe today and it worked. I’m really happy.”

Thomas ran the second leg and was emotional after the race.

“It was absolutely incredible,” said the 21-year-old born in Bradford but living in Cardiff now.

“I feel like all the emotions are catching up with me now. The DQ was horrible but we were delighted to make the final eventually.

“We did play it safe and it worked. We’re in good shape and we were just pleased to get the baton round.

“It’s a great platform now. We came here for the experience more than anything and we didn’t come last, which we expected to probably.

“I’d like to pay tribute to our coaches as well,” she added.

“They worked so hard for us and we couldn’t have done this without them.”

Bangor’s Johncock brought the baton home and held off the challenge of a much more experienced Trinidad & Tobago team to claim seventh place and the Welsh record.

“I’m so thrilled because we’ve all put in a lot of work and the girls have done so well,” said the 20-year-old.

“We trained here, there and everywhere but it was worth it in the end because we’ve just run in the final of the Commonwealth Games and set a new Welsh record.

“The experience has been absolutely fantastic and I’m sure this is just the start.

“We’re a great team and we’re all really good friends. Hannah (Thomas) and I have known each other since we were about eight!

“We wanted to make Wales proud and I think we did that tonight.

“I know lots of people were watching us back home and sending us messages of support so we’re happy that we didn’t let them down.

“I don’t think many people expected Wales to come here and perform well at the 4x100m because we’re a small nation but we’ve got lots of pride and passion and we performed on the day.”