Jones confident County won't be in for relegation dogfight

Newport County AFC versus Wycombe WanderersGOAL BOUND ATTACK County's Darren Jones (9105122)

Newport County AFC versus Wycombe WanderersAERIAL CONTEST Newport's Darren Jones competes for ball (9105092)

First published in Sport
Last updated
by

NEWPORT County defender Darren Jones won’t even ponder a relegation battle as he bids to help the Exiles to bounce back from their poor start to the season.

The hometown player returned to South Wales this summer after nearly a decade in the lower reaches of the Football League.

While County were toiling at Basingstoke and Dover in the Conference South, Jones was a permanent fixture in Leagues One and Two.

And the 30-year old is convinced he sees enough quality in his teammates to feel certain they can halt their slump.

Jones was the Argus star man at Mansfield and is hopeful today is the day the Exiles finally get their campaign off and running.

“We are desperate for a win, we don’t have a point yet and we know Saturday will be very hard, because Burton, every season, are there or thereabouts,” he told the Argus.

“We’ve got to keep doing the positive things we’ve been doing and cut out the mistakes, we aren’t getting battered or playing really badly, we’ve been the stronger team in large parts of the league games we’ve played.

“But at present, we are creating problems in both boxes, both by not taking our chances enough and conceding far too many goals.

“Individual errors at the moment are costing us, not the team shape or anything like that, so hopefully it is easier to correct the mistakes.

“I didn’t come here for a relegation battle, I still do believe we’ve got a promotion in us at this club.

“The boys were flying until they had a long period off last winter and looked like a play-off team and I am still aiming high for the season.

“We need a good win to get us going and many more will follow.”

Jones admitted he felt County’s unbeaten pre-season had counted for little.

“Those games were against teams not up to standard, you can’t go on anything by that, as soon as you have something on the game, it builds pressure and that is where mistakes come.

“But if we support each other and believe in each other the mistakes will disappear.

“We are at home today and we know there is pressure on us to deliver because we showed last season we can beat anyone in the league on our day. We know the fans are screaming for a win.

“We have ears, we hear the shouts from the stands and know some aren’t happy, but hopefully everyone gets behind us today even though our critics have every right to their opinion.

“But the way we are playing, there is still a good feeling in the group; there is a good vibe about the lads. We all know what we can do and we are determined to get a result to match a performance.”

Comments (11)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:13am Sat 23 Aug 14

ohc says...

Why on earth dopes the Argus publish this nonsense? What does the Editor expect? Jones to say County are for relegation? Lets report news and facts
Why on earth dopes the Argus publish this nonsense? What does the Editor expect? Jones to say County are for relegation? Lets report news and facts ohc
  • Score: -6

10:00am Sat 23 Aug 14

Kevin Ward - Editor says...

Certainly. Here are some facts about how football works as far as the media is concerned.
County, like all clubs, hold a media day before a match at which the manager and selected players are made available for interview.
A similar arrangement happens after matches.
We, like all other media, report what is said at those interviews.
Certainly. Here are some facts about how football works as far as the media is concerned. County, like all clubs, hold a media day before a match at which the manager and selected players are made available for interview. A similar arrangement happens after matches. We, like all other media, report what is said at those interviews. Kevin Ward - Editor
  • Score: 1

10:09am Sat 23 Aug 14

County Till I Die says...

ohc wrote:
Why on earth dopes the Argus publish this nonsense? What does the Editor expect? Jones to say County are for relegation? Lets report news and facts
I'm glad I'm not inside your head.
[quote][p][bold]ohc[/bold] wrote: Why on earth dopes the Argus publish this nonsense? What does the Editor expect? Jones to say County are for relegation? Lets report news and facts[/p][/quote]I'm glad I'm not inside your head. County Till I Die
  • Score: 2

10:34am Sat 23 Aug 14

sooty001 says...

ohc wrote:
Why on earth dopes the Argus publish this nonsense? What does the Editor expect? Jones to say County are for relegation? Lets report news and facts
If they did not publish it you would probably complain that, the Argus did not report all the facts, get a life.
[quote][p][bold]ohc[/bold] wrote: Why on earth dopes the Argus publish this nonsense? What does the Editor expect? Jones to say County are for relegation? Lets report news and facts[/p][/quote]If they did not publish it you would probably complain that, the Argus did not report all the facts, get a life. sooty001
  • Score: 0

11:13am Sat 23 Aug 14

ex-St. Julians boy says...

Kevin Ward - Editor wrote:
Certainly. Here are some facts about how football works as far as the media is concerned.
County, like all clubs, hold a media day before a match at which the manager and selected players are made available for interview.
A similar arrangement happens after matches.
We, like all other media, report what is said at those interviews.
We comprehend that. What we don't comprehend is why the players selected for interview persist in talking such utter cr*p.
[quote][p][bold]Kevin Ward - Editor[/bold] wrote: Certainly. Here are some facts about how football works as far as the media is concerned. County, like all clubs, hold a media day before a match at which the manager and selected players are made available for interview. A similar arrangement happens after matches. We, like all other media, report what is said at those interviews.[/p][/quote]We comprehend that. What we don't comprehend is why the players selected for interview persist in talking such utter cr*p. ex-St. Julians boy
  • Score: -2

11:49am Sat 23 Aug 14

COUNTYVOICE says...

i think its the usual football cliches people are objecting about and constantly reported every week .

id prefer to hear more about the next game , whose likely to play whose injured . the strength of the opposition their injury situation etc

i prefer to not to hear references of we can still make promotion when we have lost the last 4 games and in the bottom 5.

i think facts and opinions that are founded should be reported but not hyperbole with no grounds for fact , that is reeled off ad repetitdum every week

sock it to burton today county!
i think its the usual football cliches people are objecting about and constantly reported every week . id prefer to hear more about the next game , whose likely to play whose injured . the strength of the opposition their injury situation etc i prefer to not to hear references of we can still make promotion when we have lost the last 4 games and in the bottom 5. i think facts and opinions that are founded should be reported but not hyperbole with no grounds for fact , that is reeled off ad repetitdum every week sock it to burton today county! COUNTYVOICE
  • Score: 3

11:54am Sat 23 Aug 14

ohc says...

Mr Editor I know how the system works.

It spews out messages I don't need. I want facts like interviews with consequential people chiefly the manager and chairman. I want news of fitness and player achievements

The issue is that every interview is to the same script:

We have a great squad and I need to compete for my place
The team spirit is tremendous
JE is a great manager
We wont be relegated/will push for promotion according to recent form
Etc

Your could write a template and just put in the players name

Don't you aspire to achieve something a little better than that?
Mr Editor I know how the system works. It spews out messages I don't need. I want facts like interviews with consequential people chiefly the manager and chairman. I want news of fitness and player achievements The issue is that every interview is to the same script: We have a great squad and I need to compete for my place The team spirit is tremendous JE is a great manager We wont be relegated/will push for promotion according to recent form Etc Your could write a template and just put in the players name Don't you aspire to achieve something a little better than that? ohc
  • Score: 3

12:12pm Sat 23 Aug 14

Kevin Ward - Editor says...

Ohc
We provide all of the information you say you want.
We interview the manager at least once a week. Player fitness news is provided before and after matches - most recently yesterday.
We interviewed the chairman 10 days ago.
I cannot control what any of these people say in interviews - we just report it.
All other media are in the same position, the only difference between us and them is we have been reporting on County throughout the club's history, at Somerton, Moreton, Gloucester, Spytty and Rodney Parade.
Anyway, I'm off to the match where I aspire to a couple of pints and three points.
Ohc We provide all of the information you say you want. We interview the manager at least once a week. Player fitness news is provided before and after matches - most recently yesterday. We interviewed the chairman 10 days ago. I cannot control what any of these people say in interviews - we just report it. All other media are in the same position, the only difference between us and them is we have been reporting on County throughout the club's history, at Somerton, Moreton, Gloucester, Spytty and Rodney Parade. Anyway, I'm off to the match where I aspire to a couple of pints and three points. Kevin Ward - Editor
  • Score: 3

12:22pm Sat 23 Aug 14

COUNTYVOICE says...

you could use your editorial discretion to report the facts of interest kevin .. you dont have to reprint every word of an interview
you could use your editorial discretion to report the facts of interest kevin .. you dont have to reprint every word of an interview COUNTYVOICE
  • Score: 0

12:49pm Sat 23 Aug 14

b3talover says...

I'm sorry, I disagree. We will be in a relegation dogfight. Southend, Cheltenham, Dag & Red, and Hartlepool all added loan players to their squad over the past few days. We are the only club not strengthening.
I'm sorry, I disagree. We will be in a relegation dogfight. Southend, Cheltenham, Dag & Red, and Hartlepool all added loan players to their squad over the past few days. We are the only club not strengthening. b3talover
  • Score: -2

1:01pm Sat 23 Aug 14

Harps62 says...

Kevin Ward - Editor wrote:
Ohc
We provide all of the information you say you want.
We interview the manager at least once a week. Player fitness news is provided before and after matches - most recently yesterday.
We interviewed the chairman 10 days ago.
I cannot control what any of these people say in interviews - we just report it.
All other media are in the same position, the only difference between us and them is we have been reporting on County throughout the club's history, at Somerton, Moreton, Gloucester, Spytty and Rodney Parade.
Anyway, I'm off to the match where I aspire to a couple of pints and three points.
Likewise Kevin
Looking forward to it as always.
As Editor though please Edit
Cut out the dross and keep all that is relevant and of interest to us all
Every thing crossed
[quote][p][bold]Kevin Ward - Editor[/bold] wrote: Ohc We provide all of the information you say you want. We interview the manager at least once a week. Player fitness news is provided before and after matches - most recently yesterday. We interviewed the chairman 10 days ago. I cannot control what any of these people say in interviews - we just report it. All other media are in the same position, the only difference between us and them is we have been reporting on County throughout the club's history, at Somerton, Moreton, Gloucester, Spytty and Rodney Parade. Anyway, I'm off to the match where I aspire to a couple of pints and three points.[/p][/quote]Likewise Kevin Looking forward to it as always. As Editor though please Edit Cut out the dross and keep all that is relevant and of interest to us all Every thing crossed Harps62
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree