THE British and Irish Lions romped to a 34-6 win against the Chiefs as Warren Gatland opted against using his controversial call-ups en masse.

The midweek team romped to a four-try success in Hamilton with several players giving some food for thought for involvement in the series against New Zealand.

Head coach Warren Gatland wanted to protect his 23-man squad for Saturday’s first Test at Eden Park so called up six players – including Newport Gwent Dragons lock Cory Hill – for this morning’s game with the Chiefs.

However, only Scottish loosehead Allan Dell came off the bench because of a yellow card for Joe Marler in the first half.

Lock Hill was there as cover but Gatland instead put on Alun Wyn Jones when Courtney Lawes went off for a head injury assessment in the second half as the starters all put in huge shifts.

The sextet of Hill, Dell, Wales’ Gareth Davies, Kristian Dacey and Tomos Francis plus Scotland’s Finn Russell will stay with the squad for another week and leave the party after next Tuesday’s encounter with the Hurricanes.

Meanwhile, a number of those that produced the goods against the Chiefs will hope to feature in the second and third Tests after a comfortable success.

England’s Jack Nowell scored two tries and was part of a lively back three with Elliot Daly and Liam Williams while Ireland centre Jared Payne crossed after a penalty try from a driving lineout.

Dan Biggar kicked 12 points while his opposite number Stephen Donald knocked over a pair of penalties for the hosts.

Dan Biggar's penalty put the Lions on the board, but then Marler lost his head and wiped out Nepo Laulala with an off-the-ball no-arms high shot.

The Harlequin was walking off the pitch before referee Jerome Garces could even award the yellow card.

The Chiefs put the penalty to the corner, only for CJ Stander to force a choke tackle at the maul.

Biggar and Stephen Donald traded penalties for the Lions to lead 6-3 on 20 minutes, and then Nowell punched home for an opportunist's finish.

Wales fly-half Biggar's fine wide, flat pass bisected the defence and allowed Liam Williams to make ground down the right.

And when the Lions drove through the middle, Nowell sniped home from the base of the ruck.

The Lions punted a kickable penalty to the corner only to botch the lineout maul, then Biggar was lucky to avoid a yellow card for a high swinging-arm shot on Chiefs number eight Tom Sanders.

Donald's second penalty left the Lions leading 13-6 at the end of a fractious, error-strewn half.

The officials penalised Johnny Fa'auli for blocking after the break, in news that will please Gatland. The Lions believe the New Zealand teams have been getting away with illegal obstructions across the course of the tour.

Gatland has raised the issue publicly in urging referees to clamp down ahead of the Test series, and here was the first evidence his words could pay dividend.

England lock Lawes came off worst from a nasty-looking clash of heads with team-mate Marler, and departed for a Head Injury Assessment (HIA).

Mitch Brown collapsed a Lions maul just metres out, conceding a penalty try as well as being sin-binned.

Lawes returned after just five minutes off the field, with Jones heading back to the bench as the Wales lock was protected for Saturday's Test match.

The Lions then cut loose for the first time, Nowell capping a flowing move with an impressive finish.

Justin Tipuric fed Daly who raced down the left, Payne and Robbie Henshaw took the move on in the Chiefs' 22, and a fine pass from Iain Henderson handed Nowell the chance to strike.

The Exeter wing seized on a doglegged Chiefs defensive line, to scythe home and seal the Lions' win.

Daly was immediately replaced, in a potentially telling substitution. The England man impressed in a busy showing and should now make Saturday's Test 23.

The Chiefs then leaked another cheap score as Williams raced through a ragged home defence, before Payne coasted over the whitewash.