NEWPORT County AFC suffered their second Checkatrade Trophy defeat of the season as they were edged out by a Swansea City under-21s side at a rain-soaked Rodney Parade.

Kenji Gorre put the visitors ahead on 70 minutes before Shawn McCoulsky equalised five minutes later but an own goal from 16-year-old Jay Foulston settled the tie in Swansea’s favour eight minutes from the end.

Flynn made seven changes to his starting XI, handing Foulston a first start in central defence and naming himself on the bench.

Foulston was partnered by Ben White at the back with Calaum Jahraldo-Martin coming in at left-back and Jazzi Barnum-Bobb on the right.

Dan Butler and Scot Bennett started at the base of the midfield with Sean Rigg, Tom Owen-Evans and Lamar Reynolds all playing behind lone striker McCoulsky.

Frank Nouble, Padraig Amond, Matty Dolan, Ben Tozer and Mickey Demetriou, who all started in Saturday’s home win over Yeovil Town, joined Flynn on the bench but there was no reserve goalkeeper with James Bittner absent.

After a scrappy opening the Exiles gradually asserted their authority with Rigg to the fore.

The 29-year-old’s experience was evident against the Swansea youngsters and he went close twice early on, skewing one shot just wide and seeing another tipped around the post by visiting goalkeeper Gregor Zabret.

Barnum-Bobb also blasted a shot over before Zabret raced out to deny Reynolds a first competitive goal in a County shirt after a superb cross-field ball from White.

Owen-Evans’ attempted lob from the edge of the area was well wide but Reynolds was again on target shortly afterwards, forcing Zabret to get down low to his left.

Reynolds, relentlessly urged on and encouraged by Flynn on the touchline, began to grow in confidence and produced some dangerous balls into the box but County couldn’t convert their chances.

At the other end there were few scares for Foulston and White in the first hour.

The former did well to block an early cross from Gorre after Jahraldo-Martin had been drawn out of position.

South Wales Argus:

And the left-back returned the favour as he smothered the danger after Foulston (above) had been robbed trying to shield the ball out on the byline.

Brighton and Hove Albion academy graduate White looked a cut above his Swansea counterparts for the most part, again demonstrating his now familiar awareness and composure on the ball.

Reynolds produced another tempting cross from the left flank 10 minutes after the restart but Rigg’s header lacked power and direction.

Dolan then replaced the unfortunate Jaharaldo-Martin, who limped directly to the dressing room, as the hosts continued to monopolise possession and territory.

Swansea threatened briefly as the lively Gorre wriggled past Barnum-Bobb but Joe Day was out quickly to save at point-blank range.

But the majority of the chances were at the other end and Reynolds again picked out Rigg, whose far-post header bounced just over the bar.

The Swansea opener came out of the blue as Bennett lost possession on the edge of the visitors’ penalty area and the County failed to deal with a quick break.

Foulston thought about coming to cut out a throughball but instead retreated and the ball was played out to Gorre.

The Dutch-born forward ran at White, who lost his footing and fell head over heels, before slotting the ball coolly under Day on 70 minutes.

That could have been that but Flynn’s men responded well and levelled within five minutes as Bennett’s cross was headed home by McCoulsky.

It was the striker’s first major contribution and it looked to have earned his side £5,000 for the draw and the chance of victory in a penalty shootout.

But Foulston was desperately unlucky to head past Day and into his own net as he attempted to clear a cross and the evening ended in disappointment.

The Exiles cannot now progress in the tournament and next month's home tie against Cheltenham Town will be a dead rubber.

County: Day; Barnum-Bobb, White, Foulston, Jahraldo-Martin (Dolan, 54); Bennett, Butler; Rigg (Amond, 85), Owen-Evans, Reynolds; McCoulsky

Subs not used: Nouble, Tozer, Flynn, Demetriou

Booked: Owen-Evans

Referee: Brett Huxtable

Attendance: 750

Argus star man: Reynolds