No need to panic! Dragons coach upbeat despite loss to semi-pros

South Wales Argus: GOING NOWHERE: Dragon Pat Leach is stopped by the Gwent Select defence GOING NOWHERE: Dragon Pat Leach is stopped by the Gwent Select defence

NEWPORT Gwent Dragons head coach Darren Edwards remains upbeat after his full-timers lost 16-10 to the semi-professional Gwent Select side at Rodney Parade on Saturday.

It was the region’s first game of the season and the opposition from Gwent’s three Premiership sides of Cross Keys, Newport and Bedwas pulled off a major upset.

But the part-timers were full value for their victory with a gutsy and full-blooded effort that managed to put the professionals well out of their stride.

Edwards said before the game many of the Premiership players could be playing for future contracts with the Dragons.

After the game he confirmed that some of them, without revealing who, had put their hands up.

Edwards said he was also pleased with the performances of new signings Wales internationals wing Tom Prydie and full back Dan Evans, and lock Ian Nimmo.

On the Dragons’ display, he said: “I’m really pleased because we trained three times on Friday and got the guys out there on Saturday to see what kind of mental attitude they would turn up with.

“In terms of attitude it was excellent. They battled really hard and that was important that we got an edge so that we stay there and battle hard.”

Edwards added: “Patterns of play and the style of things is not a concern for us at the moment.

“We want to make sure we are mentally tough so that we can go toe-to-toe with people.

“That was a physical Premier-ship team and it was a classical physical match.”

On his three new boys making their debut and the performance of hooker Hugh Gustafson, converted from a prop, Edwards said: “I was particularly happy with our new players. Ian Nimmo did well in the second row. Dan Evans and Tom Prydie looked very comfortable and as if they had played with us for seasons, which is pleasing.

“If you think that was Hugh Gustafson’s first stint at hooker out there. We put him under pressure and he’s dealing with it. It’s great.”

Just under half of the Gwent Select side had trained with the Dragons over the summer and Edwards said he is delighted the region are continuing to forge close relationships with their feeder clubs.

“This has been an important process because 12 of those players trained with us over the off season,” he said.

“They are not just names playing for other teams now. We know them personally and we will be looking out for them.

“The attitude these guys came here with showed they want to play for the Dragons and that was the important thing about the match. Now I’ve got a pool of players that has just expanded by another team.

“That’s important, I can call on people and hopefully give some of these guys full professional contracts in the future.

“They were superb. Whatever you say about rugby, it’s about attitude and commitment first. That’s why I would have no problem putting a number of these guys into our team, because they’ve got that.”

Comments (51)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:28pm Mon 6 Aug 12

Dai the Milk says...

What a joke.....this should never happen.
What a joke.....this should never happen. Dai the Milk
  • Score: 0

1:28pm Mon 6 Aug 12

Dai the Milk says...

What a joke.....this should never happen.
What a joke.....this should never happen. Dai the Milk
  • Score: 0

3:09pm Mon 6 Aug 12

Newport Dave says...

How many of these will be in the starting XV for the Dragons?
How many of these will be in the starting XV for the Dragons? Newport Dave
  • Score: 0

5:16pm Mon 6 Aug 12

Keith Barnett says...

We're in for some stuffings this season!
We're in for some stuffings this season! Keith Barnett
  • Score: 0

6:01pm Mon 6 Aug 12

Dai the Milk says...

The writing's on the wall................
The writing's on the wall................ Dai the Milk
  • Score: 0

6:24pm Mon 6 Aug 12

Regionalist says...

A 'huge upset'? There were a load of players in the 'Dragons' team that were playing semi-pro last season too, and another load that haven't played for months due to injury. Conversely there are several players in the 'semi-pros' who have already played for the region, and twelve of them have been training with the Dragons. This result is a reason to be positive, we are finally getting some depth in Gwent rugby.
A 'huge upset'? There were a load of players in the 'Dragons' team that were playing semi-pro last season too, and another load that haven't played for months due to injury. Conversely there are several players in the 'semi-pros' who have already played for the region, and twelve of them have been training with the Dragons. This result is a reason to be positive, we are finally getting some depth in Gwent rugby. Regionalist
  • Score: 0

6:25pm Mon 6 Aug 12

Robert Shillabeer says...

What a load of rubbish from the Dragons knockers, bet they wet themselves with delight at this insignificant result. The game was a trial for some better Premiership players and hopefully a few will get the call up sometime in the near future. Next game is a test for the Dragons but still not of huge importance and a good workout for some of the Dragons first team. One major point the anti Dragons idiots is the three Premiership teams have a share of some good talent on show this season, can't wait for the season to start proper now.
What a load of rubbish from the Dragons knockers, bet they wet themselves with delight at this insignificant result. The game was a trial for some better Premiership players and hopefully a few will get the call up sometime in the near future. Next game is a test for the Dragons but still not of huge importance and a good workout for some of the Dragons first team. One major point the anti Dragons idiots is the three Premiership teams have a share of some good talent on show this season, can't wait for the season to start proper now. Robert Shillabeer
  • Score: 0

6:26pm Mon 6 Aug 12

Regionalist says...

Dai the Milk wrote:
What a joke.....this should never happen.
So we should withdraw all Welsh sides from the B&I Cup immediately then, as 'semi pros' should never beat 'professional' players?

Tell that to Newport and Cross Keys...
[quote][p][bold]Dai the Milk[/bold] wrote: What a joke.....this should never happen.[/p][/quote]So we should withdraw all Welsh sides from the B&I Cup immediately then, as 'semi pros' should never beat 'professional' players? Tell that to Newport and Cross Keys... Regionalist
  • Score: 0

6:28pm Mon 6 Aug 12

Regionalist says...

Robert Shillabeer wrote:
What a load of rubbish from the Dragons knockers, bet they wet themselves with delight at this insignificant result. The game was a trial for some better Premiership players and hopefully a few will get the call up sometime in the near future. Next game is a test for the Dragons but still not of huge importance and a good workout for some of the Dragons first team. One major point the anti Dragons idiots is the three Premiership teams have a share of some good talent on show this season, can't wait for the season to start proper now.
True and they all made a few quid out of it too. The 'writing on the wall' is you need to work with the region. Pontypool and Ebbw Vale take note...
[quote][p][bold]Robert Shillabeer[/bold] wrote: What a load of rubbish from the Dragons knockers, bet they wet themselves with delight at this insignificant result. The game was a trial for some better Premiership players and hopefully a few will get the call up sometime in the near future. Next game is a test for the Dragons but still not of huge importance and a good workout for some of the Dragons first team. One major point the anti Dragons idiots is the three Premiership teams have a share of some good talent on show this season, can't wait for the season to start proper now.[/p][/quote]True and they all made a few quid out of it too. The 'writing on the wall' is you need to work with the region. Pontypool and Ebbw Vale take note... Regionalist
  • Score: 0

8:54pm Mon 6 Aug 12

cdfdragon says...

It would be kinder to let the Dragons wind up. You would let an animal suffer like this!
It would be kinder to let the Dragons wind up. You would let an animal suffer like this! cdfdragon
  • Score: 0

10:42pm Mon 6 Aug 12

CM1 says...

.
. CM1
  • Score: 0

11:09pm Mon 6 Aug 12

gwentexiles says...

Regionalist your so called region consists of 3 clubs, there's no benefit whatsoever for any other club in Gwent other than those! Those are the only 3 clubs the dragons wanted so good luck to them! Why the hell should anyone else in the region work with the dragons, your an idiot!
Regionalist your so called region consists of 3 clubs, there's no benefit whatsoever for any other club in Gwent other than those! Those are the only 3 clubs the dragons wanted so good luck to them! Why the hell should anyone else in the region work with the dragons, your an idiot! gwentexiles
  • Score: 0

1:45pm Tue 7 Aug 12

Robert Shillabeer says...

The typical anti Dragons rubbish as usual. The structure is from the local level through to clubs like Pontypool and Ebbw Vale who incidentally play quite a good standard of rugby through the Premiership to the Dragons and hopefully then to international standard and onward to the Lions. Every player starts somewhere with the ambition of playing top level rugby and hopefully international honours. Myself as a true man go Gwent would like to see many more players of Gwent origin becoming Welsh internationals and possible British Lions so every level of rugby is vitally important as the stepping stones to something special so stop knocking you anti regional idiots who are so narrow minded it makes on cry in dispair.
The typical anti Dragons rubbish as usual. The structure is from the local level through to clubs like Pontypool and Ebbw Vale who incidentally play quite a good standard of rugby through the Premiership to the Dragons and hopefully then to international standard and onward to the Lions. Every player starts somewhere with the ambition of playing top level rugby and hopefully international honours. Myself as a true man go Gwent would like to see many more players of Gwent origin becoming Welsh internationals and possible British Lions so every level of rugby is vitally important as the stepping stones to something special so stop knocking you anti regional idiots who are so narrow minded it makes on cry in dispair. Robert Shillabeer
  • Score: 0

2:14pm Tue 7 Aug 12

b3talover says...

If you break it down into regions and clubs, we have the Tier 1 the 3 regions, Tier 2 the development region (Dragons) then Tier 3 the Premiership. The Dragons are only one tier above the Premiership clubs so I'm not surprised at this close result. If the Premiership select had played against one of the Tier 1 full regions they would have lost.
If you break it down into regions and clubs, we have the Tier 1 the 3 regions, Tier 2 the development region (Dragons) then Tier 3 the Premiership. The Dragons are only one tier above the Premiership clubs so I'm not surprised at this close result. If the Premiership select had played against one of the Tier 1 full regions they would have lost. b3talover
  • Score: 0

2:46pm Tue 7 Aug 12

Robert Shillabeer says...

The Dragons are not a development side, to say that is insulting to every player coach and above all fan who pay hard earned cash to support them. The Dragons have the same ambition as the others and with the salary cap now in place there should be an evening of the playing field over the next few years. All four regional teams have three Premiership sides as feeder clubs so a level playing field there and with sound coaching in those clubs the supply of good quality players in the future may well be available, let's hope so, Gwent have produced a large number of Welsh internationals over the years and it will come round again as rugby like anything else goes in cycles.
The Dragons are not a development side, to say that is insulting to every player coach and above all fan who pay hard earned cash to support them. The Dragons have the same ambition as the others and with the salary cap now in place there should be an evening of the playing field over the next few years. All four regional teams have three Premiership sides as feeder clubs so a level playing field there and with sound coaching in those clubs the supply of good quality players in the future may well be available, let's hope so, Gwent have produced a large number of Welsh internationals over the years and it will come round again as rugby like anything else goes in cycles. Robert Shillabeer
  • Score: 0

9:03pm Tue 7 Aug 12

CM1 says...

That was when Gwent had a good number of club sides with a tradition of producing top quality forwards (and the odd back); it no longer does. By the way, apologies for being a pedant but I think you will find that the Ospreys have four premiership sides; Aberavon, Neath, Swansea and Bridgend. Not sure how that came about???
That was when Gwent had a good number of club sides with a tradition of producing top quality forwards (and the odd back); it no longer does. By the way, apologies for being a pedant but I think you will find that the Ospreys have four premiership sides; Aberavon, Neath, Swansea and Bridgend. Not sure how that came about??? CM1
  • Score: 0

11:11pm Tue 7 Aug 12

SWBorderer says...

Looks like we're starting the new season with the same old arguements. I didn't get the set up I wanted either but the sooner all the bickering stops the better. We have what we have and the sooner everyone starts pulling together to make it work, the better. Because the alternative is

nothing. Having said that, I still think we need a boost in the coaching staff.
Looks like we're starting the new season with the same old arguements. I didn't get the set up I wanted either but the sooner all the bickering stops the better. We have what we have and the sooner everyone starts pulling together to make it work, the better. Because the alternative is nothing. Having said that, I still think we need a boost in the coaching staff. SWBorderer
  • Score: 0

11:24pm Tue 7 Aug 12

Robert Shillabeer says...

CM1 Bridgend have been set in the Blues region to make thier region Cardiff, Pontypridd and Bridgend, the Dragons have Newport, Bedwas and Cross Keys. The Scarlets have Llanelli, Carmarthen Quins and Landovery, while the Ospreys have Aberavon, Swansea and Neath, that makes it three Premiership sides each which was why the new Premiership was raised from ten to twelve sides. I agree with SWBoarderer there seems to far too much Dragons knocking going on on this site, but who is to blame for that, I believe it s the anti Regional rugby crowd (or rather the few not really a crowd) who keep knocking instead of supporting.
CM1 Bridgend have been set in the Blues region to make thier region Cardiff, Pontypridd and Bridgend, the Dragons have Newport, Bedwas and Cross Keys. The Scarlets have Llanelli, Carmarthen Quins and Landovery, while the Ospreys have Aberavon, Swansea and Neath, that makes it three Premiership sides each which was why the new Premiership was raised from ten to twelve sides. I agree with SWBoarderer there seems to far too much Dragons knocking going on on this site, but who is to blame for that, I believe it s the anti Regional rugby crowd (or rather the few not really a crowd) who keep knocking instead of supporting. Robert Shillabeer
  • Score: 0

12:00am Wed 8 Aug 12

CM1 says...

Happy to be proved wrong but how come Ospreys' largest allocation of players are being placed with Bridgend for the forthcoming season?
Happy to be proved wrong but how come Ospreys' largest allocation of players are being placed with Bridgend for the forthcoming season? CM1
  • Score: 0

12:05am Wed 8 Aug 12

CM1 says...

....if I am correct, is that why it was increased to 12 sides, as you assert?
....if I am correct, is that why it was increased to 12 sides, as you assert? CM1
  • Score: 0

8:59am Wed 8 Aug 12

Robert Shillabeer says...

The Ospreys and Scarlets put forward the case for extending the number of teams in the Premiership based on the argument that they only had two Premiership sides each when the Blues and Newport had three and the WRU agreed that is why Pontypool and Tonmawr were relegated. The fact that Ospreys players were caught up in the changes does not mean that Bridgend are part of the Ospreys region and the thing will be sorted in the year ahead.
The Ospreys and Scarlets put forward the case for extending the number of teams in the Premiership based on the argument that they only had two Premiership sides each when the Blues and Newport had three and the WRU agreed that is why Pontypool and Tonmawr were relegated. The fact that Ospreys players were caught up in the changes does not mean that Bridgend are part of the Ospreys region and the thing will be sorted in the year ahead. Robert Shillabeer
  • Score: 0

1:49pm Wed 8 Aug 12

WARMACHINE says...

Robert Shillabeer wrote:
The Ospreys and Scarlets put forward the case for extending the number of teams in the Premiership based on the argument that they only had two Premiership sides each when the Blues and Newport had three and the WRU agreed that is why Pontypool and Tonmawr were relegated. The fact that Ospreys players were caught up in the changes does not mean that Bridgend are part of the Ospreys region and the thing will be sorted in the year ahead.
If they are not part of the ospreys then whose region are they part of?
[quote][p][bold]Robert Shillabeer[/bold] wrote: The Ospreys and Scarlets put forward the case for extending the number of teams in the Premiership based on the argument that they only had two Premiership sides each when the Blues and Newport had three and the WRU agreed that is why Pontypool and Tonmawr were relegated. The fact that Ospreys players were caught up in the changes does not mean that Bridgend are part of the Ospreys region and the thing will be sorted in the year ahead.[/p][/quote]If they are not part of the ospreys then whose region are they part of? WARMACHINE
  • Score: 0

5:06pm Wed 8 Aug 12

Regionalist says...

I thought the Ospreys had tucked up the Bridge into their region? Didn't Cuddy pay for the improvements to the ground?
I thought the Ospreys had tucked up the Bridge into their region? Didn't Cuddy pay for the improvements to the ground? Regionalist
  • Score: 0

5:06pm Wed 8 Aug 12

Regionalist says...

I thought the Ospreys had tucked up the Bridge into their region? Didn't Cuddy pay for the improvements to the ground?
I thought the Ospreys had tucked up the Bridge into their region? Didn't Cuddy pay for the improvements to the ground? Regionalist
  • Score: 0

5:52pm Wed 8 Aug 12

Robert Shillabeer says...

It's the WRU who set the premiership clubs to each region, that's why they allowed the league to be 12 not ten as originally planned. The fact that Cuddy has put the money up to fund Bridgend, although it doesn't show that much has been spent when I was down there for the Ospreys V Dragons game last season, is a factor outside the settlement of three clubs to each region which takes precedence at the outset of the new arrangements I'm afraid. That may lead to some concern at the Blues however but that is thier problem not anyone connected with the Dragons and other Gwent clubs.
It's the WRU who set the premiership clubs to each region, that's why they allowed the league to be 12 not ten as originally planned. The fact that Cuddy has put the money up to fund Bridgend, although it doesn't show that much has been spent when I was down there for the Ospreys V Dragons game last season, is a factor outside the settlement of three clubs to each region which takes precedence at the outset of the new arrangements I'm afraid. That may lead to some concern at the Blues however but that is thier problem not anyone connected with the Dragons and other Gwent clubs. Robert Shillabeer
  • Score: 0

9:38pm Wed 8 Aug 12

CM1 says...

Robert, what on earth are you talking about!?!? Bridgend is part of the Ospreys region. See link below. It might not fit your argument re the WRU's justification for increasing the number of teams but just because you wish it so does not make it so.

http://www.ospreysru
gby.com/rugby/premie
rshipclubs/index.php
Robert, what on earth are you talking about!?!? Bridgend is part of the Ospreys region. See link below. It might not fit your argument re the WRU's justification for increasing the number of teams but just because you wish it so does not make it so. http://www.ospreysru gby.com/rugby/premie rshipclubs/index.php CM1
  • Score: 0

8:16am Thu 9 Aug 12

crosskeysgirl18 says...

Im not anti-Dragon but surely the Professionals shouldve beaten the Semi-Pros?? I cant wait for the rugby season to start now. Im a Keys and Dragons fan and on that day, I supported Gwent because they thoroughly deserved to win regardless. The next game for the Dragons will definitely be a test but that game on the weekend really proved to show who should get contracts and who shouldnt! Well done Gwent but also well done Dragons for coming out and giving it your all. I hope to God the Dragons have a good season coming up and I really do hope they win alot of their games. But now is the time to move on and get in new and younger players into the squad.

Here we go Robert Shillabeer, Pontypool has got nothing to do with Gwent no more as far as the Premiership is concerned! Pontypool and Tonmawr wasnt even mentioned in this article so what the hell you going on about I dont know?!
Im not anti-Dragon but surely the Professionals shouldve beaten the Semi-Pros?? I cant wait for the rugby season to start now. Im a Keys and Dragons fan and on that day, I supported Gwent because they thoroughly deserved to win regardless. The next game for the Dragons will definitely be a test but that game on the weekend really proved to show who should get contracts and who shouldnt! Well done Gwent but also well done Dragons for coming out and giving it your all. I hope to God the Dragons have a good season coming up and I really do hope they win alot of their games. But now is the time to move on and get in new and younger players into the squad. Here we go Robert Shillabeer, Pontypool has got nothing to do with Gwent no more as far as the Premiership is concerned! Pontypool and Tonmawr wasnt even mentioned in this article so what the hell you going on about I dont know?! crosskeysgirl18
  • Score: 0

10:03am Thu 9 Aug 12

Robert Shillabeer says...

Crosskeysgirl, glad to hear someone from Crosskeys support the regional side. I mentioned Pontypool because like a lot of clubs, Caldicot and Chepstow are only two but there are more who form grassroots rugby in Gwent and it is quite strong, or do you only look to the top end of the game.
Crosskeysgirl, glad to hear someone from Crosskeys support the regional side. I mentioned Pontypool because like a lot of clubs, Caldicot and Chepstow are only two but there are more who form grassroots rugby in Gwent and it is quite strong, or do you only look to the top end of the game. Robert Shillabeer
  • Score: 0

9:23pm Thu 9 Aug 12

CM1 says...

There is very little support below the top level of the game and come to think of it, there is very little support at the top level of the game. Crosskeysgirl isn't exactly the only person who doesn't care about the grassroots. Nor do the WRU. They want talent to come through academies, not clubs, so it is not in their interest for the clubs to well supported. The following for the game below international level is diminishing fast.
There is very little support below the top level of the game and come to think of it, there is very little support at the top level of the game. Crosskeysgirl isn't exactly the only person who doesn't care about the grassroots. Nor do the WRU. They want talent to come through academies, not clubs, so it is not in their interest for the clubs to well supported. The following for the game below international level is diminishing fast. CM1
  • Score: 0

9:25pm Thu 9 Aug 12

crosskeysgirl18 says...

I look at both ends of the game and what Im saying is Pontypool ARE rubbish!! They deserved to be relegated and I have said that since the High Court but instead they have had to pay court fees when they couldve spent the money on developing better players! Pontypool have never formed grassroots rugby. Im thrilled that Gwent beat the Dragons because like I said, it just goes to show who deserves contracts and who doesnt. Thats why the 3 Gwent sides now are Keys, Newport and Bedwas! Its quite strong because of Keys, Newport and Bedwas! Maybe you should be commenting on a Pontypool article?!
I look at both ends of the game and what Im saying is Pontypool ARE rubbish!! They deserved to be relegated and I have said that since the High Court but instead they have had to pay court fees when they couldve spent the money on developing better players! Pontypool have never formed grassroots rugby. Im thrilled that Gwent beat the Dragons because like I said, it just goes to show who deserves contracts and who doesnt. Thats why the 3 Gwent sides now are Keys, Newport and Bedwas! Its quite strong because of Keys, Newport and Bedwas! Maybe you should be commenting on a Pontypool article?! crosskeysgirl18
  • Score: 0

11:39pm Thu 9 Aug 12

pettsy says...

crosskeysgirl.please
,no more,you're killing me..
crosskeysgirl.please ,no more,you're killing me.. pettsy
  • Score: 0

10:27am Fri 10 Aug 12

Robert Shillabeer says...

I live near Caldicot rugby club and often watch the under age kids playing rugby on two pitches almost every Saturday and Sunday, this I believe is pretty much the same throughout Gwent with quite a good kids team in Undy as well. These teams get youngsters ready for the local rugby team and perhaps some may well go on to play for Newport and even the Dragons so don't say rugby does not exist below the Premiership because it does and thrives.
I live near Caldicot rugby club and often watch the under age kids playing rugby on two pitches almost every Saturday and Sunday, this I believe is pretty much the same throughout Gwent with quite a good kids team in Undy as well. These teams get youngsters ready for the local rugby team and perhaps some may well go on to play for Newport and even the Dragons so don't say rugby does not exist below the Premiership because it does and thrives. Robert Shillabeer
  • Score: 0

4:24pm Sat 11 Aug 12

CM1 says...

The wider public really isn't interested in rugby below international level. That is evidenced by the ever dwindling attendances at 'regional' and club rugby.
The wider public really isn't interested in rugby below international level. That is evidenced by the ever dwindling attendances at 'regional' and club rugby. CM1
  • Score: 0

4:25pm Sat 11 Aug 12

CM1 says...

.....you don't have any further thoughts on the three club per region issue?
.....you don't have any further thoughts on the three club per region issue? CM1
  • Score: 0

4:46pm Sat 11 Aug 12

Robert Shillabeer says...

CM1 it seems you haven't been to a local game for a while if you make such comments. Caldicot have quite a good crowd at most games and the youngsters have around 150 to 200 people supporting them every week, admitted most are the kids parents but there is support out there and it looks good for the future and hopefully more rugby will be played in schools in the future, I played for my school and loved it.
CM1 it seems you haven't been to a local game for a while if you make such comments. Caldicot have quite a good crowd at most games and the youngsters have around 150 to 200 people supporting them every week, admitted most are the kids parents but there is support out there and it looks good for the future and hopefully more rugby will be played in schools in the future, I played for my school and loved it. Robert Shillabeer
  • Score: 0

4:50pm Sat 11 Aug 12

Robert Shillabeer says...

CM1 the argument on the three clubs per region is now old hat and the debate is out of our hands anyway so let's find another topic to debate. Did Newport play well today? Couldn't go myself, wife took me shopping, she shopped I paid.
CM1 the argument on the three clubs per region is now old hat and the debate is out of our hands anyway so let's find another topic to debate. Did Newport play well today? Couldn't go myself, wife took me shopping, she shopped I paid. Robert Shillabeer
  • Score: 0

6:37pm Sat 11 Aug 12

Keith Barnett says...

There you go Robert

Meanwhile, the Dragons were put to the sword by Biarritz as former winger Aled Brew scored two tries in a 40-3 rout
There you go Robert Meanwhile, the Dragons were put to the sword by Biarritz as former winger Aled Brew scored two tries in a 40-3 rout Keith Barnett
  • Score: 0

7:35pm Sat 11 Aug 12

Robert Shillabeer says...

Not seen a report on the game but I expected a better scoreline than that, waiting with interest for the papers in the morning and the Argus on Monday.
Not seen a report on the game but I expected a better scoreline than that, waiting with interest for the papers in the morning and the Argus on Monday. Robert Shillabeer
  • Score: 0

5:20pm Sun 12 Aug 12

CM1 says...

It would have been a little too much to ask that you actually admit that you were wrong for a change, old hat or otherwise. Didn't see Newport, as I am not a supporter, so cannot comment on that.
It would have been a little too much to ask that you actually admit that you were wrong for a change, old hat or otherwise. Didn't see Newport, as I am not a supporter, so cannot comment on that. CM1
  • Score: 0

5:35pm Sun 12 Aug 12

SWBorderer says...

G/ad to hear junior rugby is thriving down there Robert, I'm involved at Spalding, we run every age group from U8's to U'18s, wonderful to see so many youngsters having such a good time. Leicester Tigers invest a lot of energy in junior rugby in this area.
G/ad to hear junior rugby is thriving down there Robert, I'm involved at Spalding, we run every age group from U8's to U'18s, wonderful to see so many youngsters having such a good time. Leicester Tigers invest a lot of energy in junior rugby in this area. SWBorderer
  • Score: 0

6:58pm Sun 12 Aug 12

schlep says...

Could not bring myself to get a season ticket for this campaign. So many false dawns had to draw the line somewhere. will pick n choose games. Fed up of friday / sunday games. what ever happened to saturday afternoons; no chance now with football joining in as well. have a good one dragons.
Could not bring myself to get a season ticket for this campaign. So many false dawns had to draw the line somewhere. will pick n choose games. Fed up of friday / sunday games. what ever happened to saturday afternoons; no chance now with football joining in as well. have a good one dragons. schlep
  • Score: 0

8:54pm Sun 12 Aug 12

Robert Shillabeer says...

I have been a season ticket holder of both the Dragons and Newport for a few years now although my home club is Ebbw Vale. I keep an eye on how most clubs get on in Gwent as this is the breeding ground for future regional players and not the expensive import from NZ or SA. CM1 I simply got tired of trying to tell you how Welsh rugby is now set up, but some don't want to hear the truth as is common in many walks of life. Schelp, you have the right to choose for yourself, but remember if you don't vote you got no right to complain. On the Dragons result still nothing in the Argus and nothing about rugby except a bit about the Blues and Maesteg, not a suprise really, but the Olympics did take up most space. Hope they have reports in the paper on Monday.
I have been a season ticket holder of both the Dragons and Newport for a few years now although my home club is Ebbw Vale. I keep an eye on how most clubs get on in Gwent as this is the breeding ground for future regional players and not the expensive import from NZ or SA. CM1 I simply got tired of trying to tell you how Welsh rugby is now set up, but some don't want to hear the truth as is common in many walks of life. Schelp, you have the right to choose for yourself, but remember if you don't vote you got no right to complain. On the Dragons result still nothing in the Argus and nothing about rugby except a bit about the Blues and Maesteg, not a suprise really, but the Olympics did take up most space. Hope they have reports in the paper on Monday. Robert Shillabeer
  • Score: 0

9:44pm Sun 12 Aug 12

CM1 says...

You are just plain wrong Robert. That is clear for everyone to see on the Ospreys website. I hope you enjoy your season watching the Dragons. Not sure why exactly you support Newport RFC if you are from Ebbw Vale, although I guess it's no different from south Wales people supporting Man Utd.
You are just plain wrong Robert. That is clear for everyone to see on the Ospreys website. I hope you enjoy your season watching the Dragons. Not sure why exactly you support Newport RFC if you are from Ebbw Vale, although I guess it's no different from south Wales people supporting Man Utd. CM1
  • Score: 0

12:16am Mon 13 Aug 12

Robert Shillabeer says...

You seem to have such a small view of why people do most things, comes from being narrow in your views I suppose, but everyone to his own and no one can criticise you for that. I support Newport because they are my local Premiership side and I enjoy games at that level as much as local games. I watch what all Gwent teams do, some do better than others but that's what sports about I suppose. Sorry you don't support Gwent sides in general but perhaps you support your local team and good luck to you for that hope things work out for you this season.
You seem to have such a small view of why people do most things, comes from being narrow in your views I suppose, but everyone to his own and no one can criticise you for that. I support Newport because they are my local Premiership side and I enjoy games at that level as much as local games. I watch what all Gwent teams do, some do better than others but that's what sports about I suppose. Sorry you don't support Gwent sides in general but perhaps you support your local team and good luck to you for that hope things work out for you this season. Robert Shillabeer
  • Score: 0

11:02pm Mon 13 Aug 12

CM1 says...

You don't know me, so I will forgive you inaccuracies over my character. Back in the day I used to watch more than just my club but the WRU has engendered an atmosphere of such vitriol between the clubs and fans that I no longer find myself motivated to go and watch other teams in my division and certainly not in the divisions above. I'm afraid that includes the Dragons, as that organisation seems to have little interest in my club. If I am alone then the WRU does not need to worry; I'm sure rugby will carry on just fine without my money and support. However, attendance figures have decreased in the top divisions, so I don't believe that I am alone.
You don't know me, so I will forgive you inaccuracies over my character. Back in the day I used to watch more than just my club but the WRU has engendered an atmosphere of such vitriol between the clubs and fans that I no longer find myself motivated to go and watch other teams in my division and certainly not in the divisions above. I'm afraid that includes the Dragons, as that organisation seems to have little interest in my club. If I am alone then the WRU does not need to worry; I'm sure rugby will carry on just fine without my money and support. However, attendance figures have decreased in the top divisions, so I don't believe that I am alone. CM1
  • Score: 0

5:12am Tue 14 Aug 12

East Newport Dave says...

Why is there no report on the 3-40 reverse at Biarritz? If that is the latest scoreline, then it is extremely worrying for the coming season. But, I suspect that Darren Edwards and Rob Shillabeer will be upbeat and tell us that we're moaners and to stop moaning. They need to work for BBC Weather and tell us what a good summer we're having.
Why is there no report on the 3-40 reverse at Biarritz? If that is the latest scoreline, then it is extremely worrying for the coming season. But, I suspect that Darren Edwards and Rob Shillabeer will be upbeat and tell us that we're moaners and to stop moaning. They need to work for BBC Weather and tell us what a good summer we're having. East Newport Dave
  • Score: 0

11:59am Tue 14 Aug 12

Oddjob says...

East Newport Dave wrote:
Why is there no report on the 3-40 reverse at Biarritz? If that is the latest scoreline, then it is extremely worrying for the coming season. But, I suspect that Darren Edwards and Rob Shillabeer will be upbeat and tell us that we're moaners and to stop moaning. They need to work for BBC Weather and tell us what a good summer we're having.
I've been wondering why there has been no report on the French drubbing myself, though the Gwent getting a hiding is nothing new so maybe not newsworthy.
[quote][p][bold]East Newport Dave[/bold] wrote: Why is there no report on the 3-40 reverse at Biarritz? If that is the latest scoreline, then it is extremely worrying for the coming season. But, I suspect that Darren Edwards and Rob Shillabeer will be upbeat and tell us that we're moaners and to stop moaning. They need to work for BBC Weather and tell us what a good summer we're having.[/p][/quote]I've been wondering why there has been no report on the French drubbing myself, though the Gwent getting a hiding is nothing new so maybe not newsworthy. Oddjob
  • Score: 0

1:21pm Tue 14 Aug 12

Robert Shillabeer says...

East Newport Save you seem to put me in the same category as Darren Edwards believe me I'm not that type of person. I was rather annoyed when they sacked Paul Turner as he was a far better head coach but he fell out with someone in authority at the Dragons, but the region is much bigger than one man. I also was concerned that there were no reports of the Biarritz game or eve the Newport game over the weekend, but it was the end of the Olympics so that could be the reason although there was very little comment of either the Dragons website or the Newport wedsite, just like the websites of other Gwent clubs, perhaps the webmasters are on holiday or at a web conference somewhere. By the way I often use the BBC weather forecast on my ipad which is fairly accurate. as for being upbeat about the new season, I believe in giving people a chance and not writting them off before the start, but perhaps that doesn't suit some peoples hopes, I prefer to be more positive about life in general and giving people the chance to prove the doubting Thomas' wrong.
East Newport Save you seem to put me in the same category as Darren Edwards believe me I'm not that type of person. I was rather annoyed when they sacked Paul Turner as he was a far better head coach but he fell out with someone in authority at the Dragons, but the region is much bigger than one man. I also was concerned that there were no reports of the Biarritz game or eve the Newport game over the weekend, but it was the end of the Olympics so that could be the reason although there was very little comment of either the Dragons website or the Newport wedsite, just like the websites of other Gwent clubs, perhaps the webmasters are on holiday or at a web conference somewhere. By the way I often use the BBC weather forecast on my ipad which is fairly accurate. as for being upbeat about the new season, I believe in giving people a chance and not writting them off before the start, but perhaps that doesn't suit some peoples hopes, I prefer to be more positive about life in general and giving people the chance to prove the doubting Thomas' wrong. Robert Shillabeer
  • Score: 0

4:54pm Tue 14 Aug 12

Keith Barnett says...

We're in for a long long season, esp against the better sides.
40 points may be the norm
We're in for a long long season, esp against the better sides. 40 points may be the norm Keith Barnett
  • Score: 0

4:58pm Tue 14 Aug 12

corpardguy says...

Not just disappointing that there was no coverage of the Dragons/ Bairritz game but downright pathetic of the SWArgus. Even two paragraphs listing scorers and any stand-out plays (or not) would have been useful. For the LOCAL PAPER which derives much of its readership from the LOCAL pro sports supporters it was a very bad ommision. If "the County" had been playing in Europe would there have been a report?
Its not as if the Argus had to actually send a reporter I am sure one of the News services carried something about it....
Not just disappointing that there was no coverage of the Dragons/ Bairritz game but downright pathetic of the SWArgus. Even two paragraphs listing scorers and any stand-out plays (or not) would have been useful. For the LOCAL PAPER which derives much of its readership from the LOCAL pro sports supporters it was a very bad ommision. If "the County" had been playing in Europe would there have been a report? Its not as if the Argus had to actually send a reporter I am sure one of the News services carried something about it.... corpardguy
  • Score: 0

10:16pm Tue 14 Aug 12

CM1 says...

Not much "local pro sport" around here!
Not much "local pro sport" around here! CM1
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree