Aaron Holloway hoping to grab his chance for County

NEWPORT County’s latest striking recruit Aaron Holloway is hoping he’ll get the chance to score the goals that will end the club’s horror run.

The 20-year old from Cardiff impressed manager Justin Edinburgh so much in a trial in January that he was signed despite the Exiles already having six strikers on their books and he made his debut as a second half substitute in Tuesday’s 4-1 defeat at Morecambe.

The released Bristol City striker has represented Wales at under-17 and under-19 level and is now looking to push himself further into the thoughts of manager Edinburgh.

“It was a great experience to get on the pitch and make my debut, but obviously it was a very disappointing night for us,” he said.

“We need to show everyone now that we are a team and still together and can get that win we need to get us going again. I think we can get that win.

“By the time I came on the game was probably gone, but the manager was telling us we needed to turn them and I don’t feel like we did that well enough. Defensively things just weren’t working for us.

“I want to play," he added. "I want to impress the fans and have them say ‘he looks like a good player,’ and I’ll try and take any chance that comes my way.”

Holloway explained that Edinburgh was critical of his players after the game on Tuesday.

“The gaffer has made clear he wants us to stick together and he made it clear he wasn’t happy with how we played and said it wasn’t acceptable how we lost our shape and he’s right,” he said.

“But obviously if you look at our results from the first half of the season, you can see we obviously have more about us than we’ve been able to show in the last few weeks.

“We can get back in the swing of it and hopefully I can play as much as possible and score some goals and help us out.

“As a group we just need to stick at it. We are playing well and we know in League Two one mistake can cost you, but if we do the basics right we’ll get back on track.

“And it’s important that eight of our last 12 games are at home. Our fans give us a massive boost and get behind us and can help us get back to winning ways,” he said.

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:07pm Thu 13 Mar 14

ex-St. Julians boy says...

Go on Justin, give him a go up front. Let's be honest, he can't do any worse than at present, can he? Be brave, throw caution to the wind and try him out.
Go on Justin, give him a go up front. Let's be honest, he can't do any worse than at present, can he? Be brave, throw caution to the wind and try him out. ex-St. Julians boy
  • Score: 6

12:19pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Adrian Williams says...

I'd certainly like to see him have a run out on Sunday (and if he scores, keep him in the team !)
I'd certainly like to see him have a run out on Sunday (and if he scores, keep him in the team !) Adrian Williams
  • Score: 5

12:39pm Thu 13 Mar 14

asrncafc says...

I tend to agree with ex-St Julians boy and Adrian Williams.

Since January, we have tried all combinations (except maybe Crow) upfront without much success. The young Aaron Holloway may be the key to return to winning ways.

As I see it, It would not be suicidal if JE would jot him down in the starting line-up against Exeter.
I tend to agree with ex-St Julians boy and Adrian Williams. Since January, we have tried all combinations (except maybe Crow) upfront without much success. The young Aaron Holloway may be the key to return to winning ways. As I see it, It would not be suicidal if JE would jot him down in the starting line-up against Exeter. asrncafc
  • Score: 4

12:48pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Brat1965 says...

Imagine...TWO Aarons up front! Where IS Mr. O'Connor?
Imagine...TWO Aarons up front! Where IS Mr. O'Connor? Brat1965
  • Score: 1

1:00pm Thu 13 Mar 14

llandaff says...

OK Let's see some real decisive action JE.
Make the change up front and put Crowe and Holloway in charge with Wilmott behind them. Subs to be (last chance )Jolley and Zeb.
Message to defense tackle, tackle and tackle again!!!!!
Finally..... PLEASE PLEASE PLAY THE BALL ON THE FLOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!
OK Let's see some real decisive action JE. Make the change up front and put Crowe and Holloway in charge with Wilmott behind them. Subs to be (last chance )Jolley and Zeb. Message to defense tackle, tackle and tackle again!!!!! Finally..... PLEASE PLEASE PLAY THE BALL ON THE FLOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!! llandaff
  • Score: 2

4:29pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Adrian Williams says...

llandaff wrote:
OK Let's see some real decisive action JE. Make the change up front and put Crowe and Holloway in charge with Wilmott behind them. Subs to be (last chance )Jolley and Zeb. Message to defense tackle, tackle and tackle again!!!!! Finally..... PLEASE PLEASE PLAY THE BALL ON THE FLOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
Disagree - Zeb is quality up front and has looked good since returning, so for me it's finding the correct player to partner him. Personally, I don't think Danny Crow is good enough for LG 2. He's only scored 6 goals for us since joining the club in 2012 so he's not going to bring regular goals to the table. I do agree with your comment on playing the ball on the floor though and not playing it long constantly.
[quote][p][bold]llandaff[/bold] wrote: OK Let's see some real decisive action JE. Make the change up front and put Crowe and Holloway in charge with Wilmott behind them. Subs to be (last chance )Jolley and Zeb. Message to defense tackle, tackle and tackle again!!!!! Finally..... PLEASE PLEASE PLAY THE BALL ON THE FLOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!![/p][/quote]Disagree - Zeb is quality up front and has looked good since returning, so for me it's finding the correct player to partner him. Personally, I don't think Danny Crow is good enough for LG 2. He's only scored 6 goals for us since joining the club in 2012 so he's not going to bring regular goals to the table. I do agree with your comment on playing the ball on the floor though and not playing it long constantly. Adrian Williams
  • Score: 0

4:42pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Harps62 says...

We are all picking the side we think will get us 3 points but JE of course even if he reads these threads which I doubt very much will do his own thing.
Early in the season Zeb was superb so its got to be some one feeding off his touches which just leaves Danny Christian & Robbie who I would love up front.
Jeffers is a big lad and too similar but big shame he hasn't been given a full game yet similarly to the Brighton lad earlier on in the season
We are all picking the side we think will get us 3 points but JE of course even if he reads these threads which I doubt very much will do his own thing. Early in the season Zeb was superb so its got to be some one feeding off his touches which just leaves Danny Christian & Robbie who I would love up front. Jeffers is a big lad and too similar but big shame he hasn't been given a full game yet similarly to the Brighton lad earlier on in the season Harps62
  • Score: 0

4:55pm Thu 13 Mar 14

NakedDancer says...

Adrian Williams wrote:
llandaff wrote: OK Let's see some real decisive action JE. Make the change up front and put Crowe and Holloway in charge with Wilmott behind them. Subs to be (last chance )Jolley and Zeb. Message to defense tackle, tackle and tackle again!!!!! Finally..... PLEASE PLEASE PLAY THE BALL ON THE FLOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
Disagree - Zeb is quality up front and has looked good since returning, so for me it's finding the correct player to partner him. Personally, I don't think Danny Crow is good enough for LG 2. He's only scored 6 goals for us since joining the club in 2012 so he's not going to bring regular goals to the table. I do agree with your comment on playing the ball on the floor though and not playing it long constantly.
Agreed. Zebroski has taken the half chances when they arise (like Oxford match). He was key to County's success early season. Considering he's only just back from a serious injury he puts a shift in. Good pace and a good goal record. Need to make more chances for him and find him a partner up front that is a threat. Crow doesn't score. Jolley off form. Jeffers hasn't shown anything yet. Haven't seen Holloway. Maybe Willmott up front with Zeb ? Could County get Joe Parker back from loan at Gloucester City ?
[quote][p][bold]Adrian Williams[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]llandaff[/bold] wrote: OK Let's see some real decisive action JE. Make the change up front and put Crowe and Holloway in charge with Wilmott behind them. Subs to be (last chance )Jolley and Zeb. Message to defense tackle, tackle and tackle again!!!!! Finally..... PLEASE PLEASE PLAY THE BALL ON THE FLOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!![/p][/quote]Disagree - Zeb is quality up front and has looked good since returning, so for me it's finding the correct player to partner him. Personally, I don't think Danny Crow is good enough for LG 2. He's only scored 6 goals for us since joining the club in 2012 so he's not going to bring regular goals to the table. I do agree with your comment on playing the ball on the floor though and not playing it long constantly.[/p][/quote]Agreed. Zebroski has taken the half chances when they arise (like Oxford match). He was key to County's success early season. Considering he's only just back from a serious injury he puts a shift in. Good pace and a good goal record. Need to make more chances for him and find him a partner up front that is a threat. Crow doesn't score. Jolley off form. Jeffers hasn't shown anything yet. Haven't seen Holloway. Maybe Willmott up front with Zeb ? Could County get Joe Parker back from loan at Gloucester City ? NakedDancer
  • Score: 0

7:12pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Adrian Williams says...

NakedDancer wrote:
Adrian Williams wrote:
llandaff wrote: OK Let's see some real decisive action JE. Make the change up front and put Crowe and Holloway in charge with Wilmott behind them. Subs to be (last chance )Jolley and Zeb. Message to defense tackle, tackle and tackle again!!!!! Finally..... PLEASE PLEASE PLAY THE BALL ON THE FLOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
Disagree - Zeb is quality up front and has looked good since returning, so for me it's finding the correct player to partner him. Personally, I don't think Danny Crow is good enough for LG 2. He's only scored 6 goals for us since joining the club in 2012 so he's not going to bring regular goals to the table. I do agree with your comment on playing the ball on the floor though and not playing it long constantly.
Agreed. Zebroski has taken the half chances when they arise (like Oxford match). He was key to County's success early season. Considering he's only just back from a serious injury he puts a shift in. Good pace and a good goal record. Need to make more chances for him and find him a partner up front that is a threat. Crow doesn't score. Jolley off form. Jeffers hasn't shown anything yet. Haven't seen Holloway. Maybe Willmott up front with Zeb ? Could County get Joe Parker back from loan at Gloucester City ?
I'Ve said it before but I'd love to see Robbie given the chance up front - he's played there before, he has pace and can beat a player and he can finish (I will never forget his last minute winner at Hereford last season, it was pure ecstasy given how the game had panned out :o)
[quote][p][bold]NakedDancer[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Adrian Williams[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]llandaff[/bold] wrote: OK Let's see some real decisive action JE. Make the change up front and put Crowe and Holloway in charge with Wilmott behind them. Subs to be (last chance )Jolley and Zeb. Message to defense tackle, tackle and tackle again!!!!! Finally..... PLEASE PLEASE PLAY THE BALL ON THE FLOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!![/p][/quote]Disagree - Zeb is quality up front and has looked good since returning, so for me it's finding the correct player to partner him. Personally, I don't think Danny Crow is good enough for LG 2. He's only scored 6 goals for us since joining the club in 2012 so he's not going to bring regular goals to the table. I do agree with your comment on playing the ball on the floor though and not playing it long constantly.[/p][/quote]Agreed. Zebroski has taken the half chances when they arise (like Oxford match). He was key to County's success early season. Considering he's only just back from a serious injury he puts a shift in. Good pace and a good goal record. Need to make more chances for him and find him a partner up front that is a threat. Crow doesn't score. Jolley off form. Jeffers hasn't shown anything yet. Haven't seen Holloway. Maybe Willmott up front with Zeb ? Could County get Joe Parker back from loan at Gloucester City ?[/p][/quote]I'Ve said it before but I'd love to see Robbie given the chance up front - he's played there before, he has pace and can beat a player and he can finish (I will never forget his last minute winner at Hereford last season, it was pure ecstasy given how the game had panned out :o) Adrian Williams
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree