I've got big decisions to make this summer, says County boss

I've got big decisions to make this summer, says County boss

I've got big decisions to make this summer, says County boss

First published in Latest Football
Last updated

NEWPORT County AFC manager Justin Edinburgh has again reiterated the need for major surgery to his squad this summer, writes Andrew Penman.

Edinburgh saw his side lose 2-1 at home to Plymouth Argyle on Tuesday night and revealed his frustrations with the Exiles’ current plight.

County have won just two of their last 20 matches and only one out of 11 games at Rodney Parade in 2014 to slip to 14th in League Two, just seven points above the relegation zone.

“I’m getting a little bit tired of repeating myself but what we’ve got to do is strive to get as many points as we can between now and the end of the season,” said the Exiles boss.

“Then obviously we need to re-evaluate and we’re going to have a busy summer.

“I need to make big decisions and that’s what I’m paid to do.

“I’ve said to the players that if they think the season is over and their job or their careers are safe then they’re in a false situation.”

County responded well to Tyler Harvey’s opener for the Pilgrims on Tuesday as Chris Zebroski levelled within six minutes.

But three minutes later they were behind again to Conor Hourihane’s strike and never really looked likely to get back into the game.

“As quickly as we got back in the game we shot ourselves in the foot again and the goals we conceded could have been avoided,” said Edinburgh.

“There are times when your frustration gets the better of you.

“It’s endless the number of games we’ve lost by the odd goal in the second half of the season and when you’re chasing games you can’t get back into them all the time.”

Saturday’s home clash with relegation-threatened Wycombe Wanderers looks like a must-not-lose game for County but Edinburgh is sure his side will stay up.

“Obviously mathematically we can still get caught but so can a lot of teams,” he said.

“One more win would more or less guarantee our safety but we have to be positive and look to pick up as many points as we can.

“We’re concentrating on Wycombe now, which is a big game.

“We need to give these fans a home win because it’s been too long now and, as well as we’ve played at home this season, we’ve just got to have a bit more nous to win these games.

“We have to establish ourselves as a Football League side and that’s the next step.”

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:57pm Wed 9 Apr 14

jiffygeorge says...

I think most County fans who are not blinkered have been saying what the manager is now saying for many weeks. Drastic surgery is required. One more win may well be enough to keep us up but given County's form this year I wouldn't bet on them getting it, and I'm a man who likes a punt. The problem remains that our defence always looks like conceding goals, no matter how lowly the opposition, while our attack rarely looks like scoring. It's going to be a nervous time this Saturday and defeat to Wycombe might prove the final nail in this season's coffin.
I think most County fans who are not blinkered have been saying what the manager is now saying for many weeks. Drastic surgery is required. One more win may well be enough to keep us up but given County's form this year I wouldn't bet on them getting it, and I'm a man who likes a punt. The problem remains that our defence always looks like conceding goals, no matter how lowly the opposition, while our attack rarely looks like scoring. It's going to be a nervous time this Saturday and defeat to Wycombe might prove the final nail in this season's coffin. jiffygeorge
  • Score: 6

7:27pm Wed 9 Apr 14

JimMachen says...

“I’m getting a little bit tired of repeating myself but what we’ve got to do is strive to get as many points as we can between now and the end of the season,” said the Exiles boss.

I'm tired of hearing it too.

Surely striving to get as many points as possible before the end of the season is the objective of every footballer and manager. If they haven't been giving 100% effort towards this objective since August, then on what have Les Scadding, the sponsors and the supporters been wasting their money?
“I’m getting a little bit tired of repeating myself but what we’ve got to do is strive to get as many points as we can between now and the end of the season,” said the Exiles boss. I'm tired of hearing it too. Surely striving to get as many points as possible before the end of the season is the objective of every footballer and manager. If they haven't been giving 100% effort towards this objective since August, then on what have Les Scadding, the sponsors and the supporters been wasting their money? JimMachen
  • Score: 1

7:30pm Wed 9 Apr 14

larneman says...

I saw the goals on Welsh news tonight and must ask the defence why they left men unmarked in the box?. It's basic defending to make sure you are between the striker and the goals and to mark up. I think we need a general in defence and a general in midfield. Someone who shouts the orders. It sounds and looks to me that the players are too quiet. Either way Come on County show a bit of true grit.
I saw the goals on Welsh news tonight and must ask the defence why they left men unmarked in the box?. It's basic defending to make sure you are between the striker and the goals and to mark up. I think we need a general in defence and a general in midfield. Someone who shouts the orders. It sounds and looks to me that the players are too quiet. Either way Come on County show a bit of true grit. larneman
  • Score: 2

7:48pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Harps62 says...

"we've played well at home this season"
JE what planet are you on?
Enjoyed Accrington then it started very slowly into an avalanche going downhill.
Seriously I've got very big doubts that JE will get us anywhere next season if he is still here.
Loose Saturday with more excuses no other club in the league would of put up with this run.
All these players with a few exceptions are all JE's signings. Who should take the blame for that?
The man in charge
"we've played well at home this season" JE what planet are you on? Enjoyed Accrington then it started very slowly into an avalanche going downhill. Seriously I've got very big doubts that JE will get us anywhere next season if he is still here. Loose Saturday with more excuses no other club in the league would of put up with this run. All these players with a few exceptions are all JE's signings. Who should take the blame for that? The man in charge Harps62
  • Score: -1

7:52pm Wed 9 Apr 14

b3talover says...

larneman wrote:
I saw the goals on Welsh news tonight and must ask the defence why they left men unmarked in the box?. It's basic defending to make sure you are between the striker and the goals and to mark up. I think we need a general in defence and a general in midfield. Someone who shouts the orders. It sounds and looks to me that the players are too quiet. Either way Come on County show a bit of true grit.
Not only that, the cross for the first goal didn't have a County player within 20 yards of the player delivering the ball! No pressing and no urgency. They have to treat Wycombe like a cup final.
[quote][p][bold]larneman[/bold] wrote: I saw the goals on Welsh news tonight and must ask the defence why they left men unmarked in the box?. It's basic defending to make sure you are between the striker and the goals and to mark up. I think we need a general in defence and a general in midfield. Someone who shouts the orders. It sounds and looks to me that the players are too quiet. Either way Come on County show a bit of true grit.[/p][/quote]Not only that, the cross for the first goal didn't have a County player within 20 yards of the player delivering the ball! No pressing and no urgency. They have to treat Wycombe like a cup final. b3talover
  • Score: 3

8:35pm Wed 9 Apr 14

Frankfurt says...

I just hope County are still in the Football League next season. After last night I am seriously concerned that they won't be.
I just hope County are still in the Football League next season. After last night I am seriously concerned that they won't be. Frankfurt
  • Score: 3

8:40pm Wed 9 Apr 14

ohc says...

JE the view of many of us that you should pick a team for Saturday designed not to concede. Except Z the strikers are useless so I suggest one man up with two in the centre

Get us the point

As for needing to think. It wont take long. You should only keep 4 from where I sit in the B
JE the view of many of us that you should pick a team for Saturday designed not to concede. Except Z the strikers are useless so I suggest one man up with two in the centre Get us the point As for needing to think. It wont take long. You should only keep 4 from where I sit in the B ohc
  • Score: 3

8:09am Thu 10 Apr 14

sooty001 says...

" I am getting a bit tired of repeating myself " Yes so am I, we need action not words, you are the man responsible it's your job to sort this slump out, let's see how good you are, I have done my bit by turning up for every game, it's your turn now.
" I am getting a bit tired of repeating myself " Yes so am I, we need action not words, you are the man responsible it's your job to sort this slump out, let's see how good you are, I have done my bit by turning up for every game, it's your turn now. sooty001
  • Score: 2

8:42am Thu 10 Apr 14

the dork says...

b3talover wrote:
larneman wrote:
I saw the goals on Welsh news tonight and must ask the defence why they left men unmarked in the box?. It's basic defending to make sure you are between the striker and the goals and to mark up. I think we need a general in defence and a general in midfield. Someone who shouts the orders. It sounds and looks to me that the players are too quiet. Either way Come on County show a bit of true grit.
Not only that, the cross for the first goal didn't have a County player within 20 yards of the player delivering the ball! No pressing and no urgency. They have to treat Wycombe like a cup final.
We need to re sign ray wilcox
[quote][p][bold]b3talover[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]larneman[/bold] wrote: I saw the goals on Welsh news tonight and must ask the defence why they left men unmarked in the box?. It's basic defending to make sure you are between the striker and the goals and to mark up. I think we need a general in defence and a general in midfield. Someone who shouts the orders. It sounds and looks to me that the players are too quiet. Either way Come on County show a bit of true grit.[/p][/quote]Not only that, the cross for the first goal didn't have a County player within 20 yards of the player delivering the ball! No pressing and no urgency. They have to treat Wycombe like a cup final.[/p][/quote]We need to re sign ray wilcox the dork
  • Score: 0

8:59am Thu 10 Apr 14

sooty001 says...

the dork wrote:
b3talover wrote:
larneman wrote:
I saw the goals on Welsh news tonight and must ask the defence why they left men unmarked in the box?. It's basic defending to make sure you are between the striker and the goals and to mark up. I think we need a general in defence and a general in midfield. Someone who shouts the orders. It sounds and looks to me that the players are too quiet. Either way Come on County show a bit of true grit.
Not only that, the cross for the first goal didn't have a County player within 20 yards of the player delivering the ball! No pressing and no urgency. They have to treat Wycombe like a cup final.
We need to re sign ray wilcox
Yes even with his arm in a sling against Spurs he was more effective than this lot lol
[quote][p][bold]the dork[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]b3talover[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]larneman[/bold] wrote: I saw the goals on Welsh news tonight and must ask the defence why they left men unmarked in the box?. It's basic defending to make sure you are between the striker and the goals and to mark up. I think we need a general in defence and a general in midfield. Someone who shouts the orders. It sounds and looks to me that the players are too quiet. Either way Come on County show a bit of true grit.[/p][/quote]Not only that, the cross for the first goal didn't have a County player within 20 yards of the player delivering the ball! No pressing and no urgency. They have to treat Wycombe like a cup final.[/p][/quote]We need to re sign ray wilcox[/p][/quote]Yes even with his arm in a sling against Spurs he was more effective than this lot lol sooty001
  • Score: 1

9:45am Thu 10 Apr 14

BassalegCountyFan says...

I think the last few weeks has shown that Justin needs to reverse his decisions on Pipe and Flynn - we were crying out for Pipe's passion and go-forward the other night, and Flynny has probably been our most consistent performer over the last month.

I think Justin will bring in the right players this summer, but he's also got to identify the ones who are definitely ones to keep and for me Pipe and Flynn fall into that category.
I think the last few weeks has shown that Justin needs to reverse his decisions on Pipe and Flynn - we were crying out for Pipe's passion and go-forward the other night, and Flynny has probably been our most consistent performer over the last month. I think Justin will bring in the right players this summer, but he's also got to identify the ones who are definitely ones to keep and for me Pipe and Flynn fall into that category. BassalegCountyFan
  • Score: 1

9:48am Thu 10 Apr 14

llandaff says...

sooty001 wrote:
" I am getting a bit tired of repeating myself " Yes so am I, we need action not words, you are the man responsible it's your job to sort this slump out, let's see how good you are, I have done my bit by turning up for every game, it's your turn now.
I agree. Some weeks ago JE was very critical of the online bloggers.He said that it was only about 30 people who were making negative comments about him and the team on line. He also said that 99.9% of supporters were happy with the current situation There my friends is the problem. Complacency!
As you say we put in the effort to support the team but get very little in return. I cannot quite believe that we are almost in the "playoffs" for relegation!
[quote][p][bold]sooty001[/bold] wrote: " I am getting a bit tired of repeating myself " Yes so am I, we need action not words, you are the man responsible it's your job to sort this slump out, let's see how good you are, I have done my bit by turning up for every game, it's your turn now.[/p][/quote]I agree. Some weeks ago JE was very critical of the online bloggers.He said that it was only about 30 people who were making negative comments about him and the team on line. He also said that 99.9% of supporters were happy with the current situation There my friends is the problem. Complacency! As you say we put in the effort to support the team but get very little in return. I cannot quite believe that we are almost in the "playoffs" for relegation! llandaff
  • Score: 2

11:01am Thu 10 Apr 14

musicmaker730 says...

THE DORK mentioned Ray Wilcox....Thats a long time go
when the county was playing like it is today..I used to support
Lovells Athletic.
THE DORK mentioned Ray Wilcox....Thats a long time go when the county was playing like it is today..I used to support Lovells Athletic. musicmaker730
  • Score: 1

11:08am Thu 10 Apr 14

musicmaker730 says...

Years ago when the county was paying like they are today, I used to support
Lovells Athletic..
At least the (toffee team) had it all togther
Years ago when the county was paying like they are today, I used to support Lovells Athletic.. At least the (toffee team) had it all togther musicmaker730
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree