O'Connor blow as striker may be out until New Year
7:02am Friday 18th October 2013 in Newport County
Newport County's goalscorers Christian Jolley (left) and Aaron O'Connor celebrate with the trophy during the Blue Square Premier League Play-Off Final at Wembley Stadium, London. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Sunday May 5, 2013. See PA st
STRIKER Aaron O’Connor is unlikely to return from injury until 2014 and will require more surgery, boss Justin Edinburgh has revealed.
The 30-year old, who scored 20 goals last season including the second for Newport in their play-off final triumph at Wembley, has yet to feature this term because of a long-standing groin problem.
The Argus reported last week that O’Connor was set for another consultation with a specialist on the advice of new club physio Adam Roche.
The news isn’t good for County fans with O’Connor now set to be out for at least two more months and set to go under the surgeon’s knife again.
“Aaron has had a setback, he needs further surgery on Monday, a minor operation to relieve the pressure on his abductors,” Edinburgh said.
“We are looking at probably another eight weeks now, but on the plus side we’re confident it’ll clear the issue.
“We hope to have Aaron back then and he’ll be like a new signing for us come January.”
However, the injury news isn’t all bad for the Exiles who are boosted by three imminent returns.
Midfielder Ryan Burge and defender Billy Jones are both in contention for today’s visit of York after shaking off muscle injuries.
And striker Christian Jolley, who has been sidelined for close to a month with a groin issue, is also closing in on a comeback.
The Argus understands that Jolley will rejoin first team training next week and while he is unlikely to play against Plymouth on Tuesday, the home clash with Southend next weekend should see him involved.
“Ryan and Billy trained all week, that gives us a boost and we’re progressing on the injury front,” he said.
“Christian is progressing well and we hope he’s back in training on Monday. Plymouth will probably come too quickly for him, but next Saturday is possible.”
Edinburgh is expecting a big reaction from his players after their 3-0 loss at Rochdale last time out.
“It’s unexplainable, for that many of our players to be so far below their own standards,” he said. “Unfortunately that’s how it happened and we were comfortably dispatched, but we’ve moved forward quickly, what’s done is done.
“But my players have character and we all know we let ourselves down and Saturday can’t come quickly enough.”
Comments are closed on this article.