David Hando sets out Newport County's future
NEWPORT County AFC’s new interim chairman David Hando insists the club is gunning for the Football League after the move to Rodney Parade, writes Michael Pearlman.
The Argus sat down yesterday with director Howard Greenhaf, director of football Tim Harris, boss Justin Edin-burgh and Hando following a week that saw Chris Blight quit the club over abusive phone calls to his home.
They revealed that:
- A date has been set for the AGM – in August – and letters will be sent out shortly;
- The County board of directors, currently down to one, will welcome four new members within the next week;
- The club will welcome any discussion with any party over investment ;
- It would not have been possible to push for promotion if the Exiles had remained at Spytty Park;
- Former chairman Chris Blight will be offered life membership of the club.
Hando, already president of the club after his efforts in resurrecting them in 1989, insists he is merely “keeping the seat warm” until a permanent successor to Blight is appointed.
On investment, he said: “As soon as anyone comes to us with a tangible offer or plan to be able to help us, we will welcome that.
“We must buckle down now and do everything we can to help Justin, because our ultimate aim is for the Football League.
“We all need to work together to make Rodney Parade a great success. If we had stayed at Spytty we could’ve given up any chance of promotion.
“Anyone who can help us with that, we’d be delighted to hear from.”
However, Hando isn’t concerned about abusive calls.
“Anyone who wants to talk to us can have my email, my phone number, and my wife Mary assures me she’ll deal with any abuse, so abusers beware,” he joked.
Hando feels the club owe a debt to ex-chairman Blight.
“We acknowledge a great debt to Chris Blight and great regret that he’s gone in this way,” he said.
“We want to reward him and would like to make him a life member, he’s done so much for the club.
“Howard Greehaf is a great worker and a real inspiration, he’s done a super job and soon enough we will announce additions to not only the team on the pitch, but on the board also.”