FIREFIGHTERS were called to a Newport health club yesterday evening following a small chemical explosion.

One person suffered from chemical fume inhalation following the explosion, which involved bromide, at Greenhouse health club, Church Street, Pill.

South Wales Fire and Rescue Service were called to the scene at 9.02pm. The explosion happened in a plant room and the area was made safe.

Head of control at South Wales Fire and Rescue Service, Jennie Griffiths said on Twitter that the health club had been fully evacuated and that firefighters using chemical suits and breathing apparatus had been at the scene for more than four and a half hours.