100 years ago

Recruitment was to be renewed with vigour in Tredegar where, like other towns, a slump had been experienced during the last few weeks.

During August and September, Tredegar men had responded nobly to the call to arms and given the lead to the colliery districts in Monmouthshire.

Among the cases before Newport magistrates was that in which a Newport woman was charged with wounding a Newport war widow with a knife at Marion Street.

A Newport youth was charged with being an absentee from the 3rd Dragoon Guards based at Canterbury. The prisoner claimed he had been refused leave but came home anyway. He argued that as he had bought a return ticket he was not a deserter.

Readers were made aware that Christmas puddings for the front were needed 10 days earlier than had previously been arranged and the first consignment would be leaving within the next week.

50 years ago

A seven-year-old Newport girl wrote a letter to the Queen asking her to come to tea after watching the state opening of parliament. The reply from Buckingham Palace thanked her for the invitation and explained that the Queen was not coming to where she lived for the time being.

A Pontypool lorry driver had a miraculous escape when his lorry was crushed by a railway engine at a level crossing.

In an attempt to publicise the scandalous conditions in which they lived, two representatives of more than 1,000 people living in caravans at Pye Corner, Nash, lobbied MPs on the House of Commons.

Lightning following a single thunder clap struck the main electricity grid at Uskmouth, causing an immediate light and power failure in the Newport area.

25 years ago

The prospect of troops and police providing ambulance cover in Gwent has receded after the chief ambulance officer accepted the status quo and backed down from earlier threats to suspend staff who did not work a normal shift.

A row was brewing at Neville Hall hospital after bosses invited private firms to tender for the lease of the shop in the foyer currently run by the WRVS.

Tenants hoping to move back into their homes badly damaged by land subsidence in Brynmawr were dashed by the news that bulldozers would have to move in instead and demolish them.

An urgent pollution warning went out after a huge blaze gutted a packaging factory in New Tredegar. It was believed that the River Rhymney may have been badly polluted with detergents used to quench the fire and materials from the factory.