A CWMBRAN man is thought to have been taking a shortcut across a railway track when he was struck by a train, and died.

Samuel Nelson, 36, was described as “successful”, working for BT and helping to run a business with his brother, Gwent coroner David Bowen heard during an inquest into Mr Nelson’s death yesterday.

But it is thought that he took a shortcut while taking a walk near his Llantarnam home and was hit, killing him.

After the inquest, his brother, Joe, said: "Sam's death was avoidable and today's verdict highlights how dangerous the railway can be.

“I hope that this tragic accident will lead to improvements being made to the immediate area around the track, such that others cannot make the same error in judgement in the future."

During the inquest, Mr Nelson’s father, John, explained that his son was a university graduate with an interest in computing and whose company was on the verge of good things so he had no money issues.

He spoke to his son at 5.30pm on July 13 last year, and Mr Nelson told him that he had gone for a walk.

“He lived by the Afon Lwyd in Llantarnam and would regularly go for walks along there,” he said.

Mr Nelson was due at his parents’ house that evening but when he did not turn up, they tried to call him. There was no answer.

Mr Bowen then heard from Arriva Trains Wales driver Matthew Webber via a written submission.

He explained that on July 13, he was driving a four carriage train from Crewe to Cardiff.

The train reached Cwmbran at 6.39pm and was next heading to Newport.

The train reached 75mph as it passed Burton’s Biscuit Factory, Mr Webber said, when he saw a man walking on the line. He hit the emergency brake but the train struck him.

The inquest then heard from Geoffrey Ronayne, Gwent Police Coroner, who outlined that the route is well used by walkers and that Mr Nelson’s car was found in a lay-by not far from where he died.

He added: “I consider it likely that he was taking a short cut back to his car.”

A post-mortem found that Mr Nelson died following blunt trauma.

Mr Bowen summed up by saying: “He was struck by a Newport bound train, when he tried to cut across the railway line.

“He should not have been anywhere near the main railway line and there was no reason for him to-do so as there was a nearby bridge... he paid the ultimate price.”

The inquest returned a verdict of misadventure, with Mr Bowen adding: “Although he deliberately crossed the railway line, he did not foresee the outcome.”