A CWMBRAN robber who stole a new iPhone after repeatedly kicking his victim in the stomach has avoided a custodial sentence.

The teenager, whose details cannot be given due to legal reasons, pleaded guilty to a single robbery charge at Newport Magistrates Court on May 7. He had been on remand at HM Prison Parc.

Newport Crown Court heard how the complainant, who also cannot be named, had left his home to go to a course placement in Cwmbran at around 8am on April 20. It had been a route he had walked everyday for five months.

The complainant was listening to music on his iPhone through his headphones and around 10 minutes into his journey, he felt a sudden jolt to his left ear and was knocked to the floor.

The defendant, who was known to the victim, was looking down on him and repeatedly kicked him in the stomach as he tried to get up. He then lunged to punch the victim as he covered his face.

The court heard how the defendant shouted, "I’m having a rough day....give me your phone." The complainant refused but as he tried to get up on his feet, the phone fell out of his pocket and the defendant ran off with it.

The victim was left with grazing to both elbows, tenderness in his left shoulder and abdomen, and an egg-shaped lump behind his ear. He was taken to the Royal Gwent Hospital for minor treatment.

The court heard how he “felt terrified” and is now nervous when he walks alone.

The defendant, who has had five previous convictions since 2014 for offences including threatening and abusive behaviour, was arrested at 10.40am on the same day.

Taking into account that the defendant had already spent five weeks in custody, Recorder Peter Griffiths QC said: “I’m going to take a chance and give you this final opportunity. You’ve had a taste of custody and it’s just as well that you’ve had. That’s tipped the balance.

“It’s given you the gypsy warning and you’ve seen what lies ahead if you continue to offend.

“The end of this dark tunnel is the hopeful result; otherwise we condemn a young man to perpetual recycling of custody and coming out.”

Mr Griffiths issued a 12-month rehabilitation order, which includes six months of intensive supervision and surveillance. The defendant will also be monitored electronically for three months and will have a 7pm-7am curfew for the first three months.

Mr Griffiths also issued a restraining order, preventing the defendant from contacting the victim in the next five years, and he will also pay £100 in compensation and a £20 victim impact sum within 12 months.