THE partner of a young woman who died in a house fire in Cwmbran has passed away less than a month after the tragedy.

Sam Thomas died in the blaze in a first-floor flat in Shakespeare Road on May 19. She was 29.

Her fiancé Paul Fields was treated for smoke inhalation but survived the blaze.

He was taken to Royal Gwent Hospital in Newport earlier this month after choking on some food, his daughter Laura Fields told the Argus.

Mr Fields passed away at the hospital on Wednesday [June 17], Newport coroners’ office confirmed yesterday [June 23].

A coroners’ office spokesman said they were unclear about the circumstances surrounding his passing and no inquest had opened yet.

The spokesman added a post mortem had yet to be carried out.

The inquest into Sam Thomas’ death heard this month how neighbours saw smoke coming from the flat and spotted her trapped on the balcony.

The provisional cause of death was given as exposure to fire.

Two dogs also died in the fire.

A 49-year-old man was initially arrested but was later released and no action was taken.

Police continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding the fatal fire but are not looking for anyone else in connection with the incident.

Sam Thomas was known to family and friends as being a "bubbly" person who loved animals.

Speaking to the Argus last month her sister Rachael Jenkins said: “She was well known in the community and well liked.

“She was bubbly and up for a laugh and had a good sense of humour.”

Kind-hearted people raised hundreds of pounds to pay for Ms Thomas’ funeral.

A service is to take place at Gwent Crematorium on Monday.

Donations made at the end of the service will go to the emergency services and All Creatures Great and Small.

Her sister Rachael said the family would hold the "traditional service" at 10.30am where they would listen to ‘Every breath you take’ by The Police and sing ‘Amazing Grace’.

They will then return to Pontnewynydd for the wake.