ST JOSEPH'S Hospital in Newport is celebrating one year of new ownership with plans to re-launch the hospital this October.

The hospital, bought by three private owners in July 2014, is nearing the completion of a £10million refurbishment which will position it as one of the best equipped private hospitals in the UK.

Since new ownership, the hospital has welcomed nearly 30,000 out patients and more than 6,000 resident patients and it has created 68 new permanent jobs, increasing the number of permanent staff to 177.

St Joseph’s is also home to 160 leading consultants who, following the re-launch, will have access to state-of-the-art equipment, offering the most advanced diagnostic capabilities outside of London.

Following the re-launch, the hospital will boast 11 centres of excellence, including advanced diagnostics, cardiology, breast care, urgent care, private GP and health assessments, as well as more than 20 specialties.

Co-owner and executive chairman, Brian Staples, said: “It has been an evolutionary year for St Joseph’s Hospital, welcoming new staff and consultants from the local area and further afield in preparation for launching our 11 centres of excellence, which will place St Joseph’s as a UK leader in patient care.

“We have some of the UK’s most respected health professionals working here. As well as our leading consultants we have recruited staff into senior imaging roles, specialist breast care nurses, emergency nurse practitioners, occupation health nurse specialists, GP nurses, physiotherapists and have taken on two apprentices into administration roles.

“Our diagnostic facilities will be the most advanced available outside of London, offering a preventative and proactive approach to healthcare, and our refurbished facilities and bespoke, personal service will provide our patients with the best environment for recuperation.

“My two partners and I own 60 per cent of the business and the other 40 per cent is shared between 36 of the consultants who practice here, so there is a sense of common ownership and mutual duty of care that will help to affirm St Joseph’s as a leading hospital.”

St Joseph’s Hospital will re-launch its new facilities in October. Patients wishing to make an appointment can contact the hospital directly on 01633 820300.