A CHEPSTOW woman who was stabbed in the heart had a ‘volatile’ relationship with her husband and had visited a divorce solicitor the day before her death, an inquest has heard.

Stacey Anne Henderson, 35, and her husband Nigel Mark Henderson, 52, were found dead on June 19,  in the living room of their rented property in Ruffetts Close, Chepstow, at 11.52am.

Gwent Coroner David Bowen sitting in Newport today concluded Mrs Henderson was unlawfully killed.

A post mortem examination carried out by Dr Richard Jones, a consultant pathologist, concluded the cause of death for Mrs Henderson as multiple stab wounds to the chest including the heart and Mr Henderson as stab wounds to the trunk including the heart.

The court heard that Mr Henderson’s wounds were self-inflicted and recorded a verdict of suicide.

Police had to gain entry to the property and found Mr Henderson's body holding a kitchen knife loosely in his right hand.

Detective constable Claire Offers, of Gwent Police, said during the investigation, police found the relationship between the couple has been 'turbulent and volatile' in the weeks leading up to the discovery of their bodies.

Mr Bowen said: "Isn't it right the picture painted for you of Mr Henderson was that he was obsessed with money and success and had an insane sense of jealously with regard to Stacey."

Andrew Parry, a forensic scientist, who examined the scene said the blood stains present suggested an assault had occurred near the rear window where Mrs Henderson's body was found.

Upturned furniture had been found near her body and cuts found on her arms and hands which represented defence wounds.

Marilyn Davies, Stacey's mother, said the couple often argued and the day before her daughter's death she had taken her to a solicitor in Chepstow for advice on divorce proceedings. Police found suitcases in the kitchen of the property.

They also found letters written by Mr Henderson, one was dated the first of June which conveyed his 'changing state of mind', DC Offers told the court. The letters suggested Mr Henderson was feeling 'angry and aggressive' toward his wife.

A second letter was found which had an envelope addressed to Mrs Henderson - this letter had been ripped to pieces and in it Mr Henderson said he accepted his marriage was at an end.

Stephen Henderson said his brother Nigel had tried to take his own life in 2010 before he met his wife of three years. He said his brother also tried to commit suicide on May 20 and 24 of this year by overdosing on tablets.

He said his brother is his later life was a 'troubled soul.'

Mrs Henderson's family said they were ‘heartbroken’ and in a statement said: "Stacey was a wonderful daughter, sister, stepmother and auntie. Her passing, to us and the rest of her family and friends is the loss of a loving, caring woman and a beautiful life.

"This is a tragedy we shall never overcome. She will never be forgotten, she will always be dearly loved and greatly missed.”