A MAN has avoided jail after causing multiple serious injuries to a cyclist who came 'close to being killed' when he hit him with his lorry.

Philip Stephens, aged 62, of Hughes Street, Tonypandy, appeared at Newport Crown Court on Monday morning.

Stephens pleaded guilty to the charge of causing serious injury by dangerous driving before his trial was due to start on Monday.

The court heard the incident took place on October 31, 2014, at 7.50am on Queen's Way, the A4810, Llandevenny near Magor.

Jonathan Davies, who was 34-years-old at the time of the incident, was cycling from his home in Magor to his work in Newport wearing a high visibility jacket and helmet when the incident occurred as he was approaching the junction for Redwick village.

The court heard Stephens was travelling in a heavy goods lorry when he pulled out into the path of Mr Davies.

Roger Griffiths, prosecuting, said the cyclist had no memory of the incident but witnesses said they saw the bicycle propelled into the air and Mr Davies being thrown to the floor.

Mr Davies was hospitalised for nearly seven weeks and his injuries included a fractured right pelvis, fracture to his left shoulder, fractures to his rib cage, punctures to both right and left lungs, laceration on his spleen, scarring on his arms and wrists and scarring to the back of his head.

He said after the incident he walked with a limp and due to his fractured shoulder couldn't pick up his baby daughter without causing him significant amount of pain.

The injuries to his chest has left him with shortness of breath and his ring finger is now deformed which means he can no longer wear his wedding ring.

In a statement read to the court he said: "It is extremely upsetting what might have happened and just how close I came to being killed."

He said for three weeks his daughter couldn't visit him in hospital on the high dependency ward which was upsetting.

He was discharged before Christmas 2014, which was his daughter’s first Christmas, but was unable to help with festive preparations due to his injuries.

Mr Davies has had to undergo further surgery as a result of the injuries he sustained in the incident.

He has since returned to work and said he is very self-conscious of his scars.

He said he doesn't feel ready yet to ride a bicycle on the road.

Iain Simkin, defending, said Stephens pulled out because he thought the cyclist was turning left at the junction.

He said it was 'momentary dangerous driving' which occurred in an 'extremely brief incident'.

The court heard Stephens was travelling at a low speed.

Mr Simkin said Stephens, a father-of-two and grandfather-of-four, who is of good character had been employed as a driver since a teenager.

He said his client apologised to Mr Davies and that the 62-year-old has also been deeply affected by the incident.

Judge Patrick Curran QC sentenced Stephens to nine months imprisonment, which was suspended for two years.

He said: "You now have to live with the knowledge you have devastated the life of a decent hardworking young man and his family.

"As a consequence, the incident, has had a dramatic affect on you which will be of course no consolation to Mr Davies or his family."

Stephens was also disqualified from driving for three years and will have to pay a victim surcharge of £100.