A GULL had to be rescued after falling into a vat of cold Tandoori curry in Newport and being turned bright orange.

The gull was partially coated ‘half-and-half’ in cold waste sauce after falling into the vat in the Newport area last Tuesday. 

Just two months ago photographs circulated of another seagull which suffered the same fate after falling into a container of tikka masala while trying to scavenge a piece of meat from a Welsh food factory bin in June.

Both birds were taken to the Vale Wildlife Hospital and Rehabilitation Centre near Tewkesbury.

RSPCA animal welfare officer (AWO) Sian Burton said: “We get many calls about injured gulls - especially at this time of year - but this one that was a bit more usual than the norm!

“He must have had a shock when he fell in the curry. We have no idea if it flew in because it was hungry or if he fell in by accident!

“He was removed safely and kept in a box until RSPCA animal collection officer Stephanie Davidson arrived.

South Wales Argus:

The bird turned bright orange.

“I then transferred the gull to a veterinary surgery for a check-up and then I took him to Vale Wildlife Hospital and Rehabilitation Centre near Tewkesbury.

“He’s uninjured and just needed a good clean, I expect he will be put off from curry after this!”

Following a good wash he has gone back to his usual colour.

The RSPCA said the gull is doing well and is now in an outside enclosure with other gulls. The gull will be released back into the wild in the near future.

South Wales Argus:

The gull which suffered the same fate in June.