A MAN was “effectively frogmarched” out of a barber shop in Newport before being driven away and told he would be tied to a tree in an alleged kidnapping, a court has heard.

Myles Howells, 22, of Partridge Way in Duffryn, Newport, Nigel Stoneman, 26, listed as of Duffryn, Newport and a 17-year-old youth, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, have pleaded not guilty to charges of kidnap, in relation to the incident on January 19.

Opening the case for the prosecution, at Cardiff Crown Court today, Matthew Roberts said the complainant, Levi Roberts, was in Xtreme Barbers in Commercial Street, Newport, when he received a call from the youth at around 2.30pm.

Mr Roberts, a carpet fitter by trade from Duffryn, told the youth where he was.

Around 10 to 15 minutes later, Howells entered the barbers.

Mr Roberts owed Howells around £80, after he had borrowed around £140 at Christmas time, the court heard.

Appearing in court, Mr Roberts said he was “grabbed” by Howells and kneed in the ribs.

Mr Roberts said he felt “intimidated and scared” as he was ordered into a car.

Howells got in the driver’s seat and Mr Roberts in the back, with the other two defendants also in the car.

Mr Roberts said Howells then accused him of blocking his phone and then said: “You are going missing.”

The car drove along Risca Road, towards Brickyard Lane, near to a secluded woodland, the court heard.

At this point, Mr Roberts told the court Howells said he would be tied to a tree and abandoned.

Fearing for his safety, Mr Roberts opened the back passenger door and jumped out of the car as it slowed down to around 15 to 20mph for an approaching vehicle.

The 28-year-old carpet fitter jumped over a barbed wire fence and up an embankment, before dodging his way across six lanes of moving traffic on the M4, the court heard.

CCTV footage, shown in court, appeared to show Mr Roberts running past the Texaco garage in High Cross Road, as he made his way to safety at his aunt’s house.

While in the car, Mr Roberts had covertly called 999, pretending that he was speaking to his mother.

Mr Roberts told the court yesterday that Stoneman and the youth did not make any threats in the car.

The youth and Howells gave statements to police the day after the incident.

Howells told police that no threats were made and that he did not know why Mr Roberts jumped out of the car.

Stoneman later gave a no comment police interview on February 13, the court was also told.