A JILTED boyfriend threatened to give police officers AIDS before spitting blood in a sergeant’s face and biting the finger of a constable.

Daniel Walters was high on cocaine and alcohol when he attacked them after he had smashed his way into his ex-partner’s home.

Prosecutor Rosamund Rutter told Cardiff Crown Court the 37-year-old was sectioned under the Mental Health Act after the “scary” episode.

Walters pleaded guilty to assaulting Sergeant Jamie Whitcombe by beating and causing actual bodily harm to PC Richard Williams. He also admitted two counts of using violence to secure entry into premises.

The defendant, of Tabernacle Court, Park Place, Waunlwyd, Ebbw Vale, had first broken into his ex-partner's home in Tredegar in December last year after the couple had split up because of his heavy drinking and drug use.

Miss Rutter said the defendant had previous convictions for battery against his ex-girlfriend after putting her in a headlock and had caused criminal damage of £5,000 at the same property by breaking windows in 2016.

The prosecutor said Walters broke in late at night on December 19 last year by smashing the patio door before leaving. He caused nearly £350 of damage.

After the door was boarded up he came back a few hours later, kicked it through and taking house and car keys, which were later returned.

Walters went back again two days later at around 6am and broke in by smashing a kitchen window and kicking down her bedroom door, which had a chain on it.

The woman called 999 on the second occasion and the police soon arrived.

Miss Rutter said: “The defendant was covered in blood to his hands, clothes and face.

“He became very aggressive to the officers and told them ‘I will give you AIDS’ before he spat in the face of Sgt Whitcombe and he bit PC Williams’ finger which saw his fingernail go black and caused him immense pain.”

The court heard after being sectioned, Walters had absconded from a mental health unit in February and made his way to his ex's home again before he was arrested.

Owen Williams, mitigating, said his client had pleaded guilty to all offences and was suffering from mental illness during the incidents.

He said Walters was battling to be free from drug and alcohol misuse.

Recorder Paul Hartley-Davies sentenced the defendant to a total of 31 weeks in prison, an indefinite restraining order not to contact Miss Bevan and ordered him to pay a surcharge of £140.