RESIDENTS shared their anger on social media after fireworks were let off in the early hours of Monday morning.

People in Rogerstone, Newport heard fireworks just after midnight on Monday morning from the Tiny Rebel Brewing venue.

Resident Claire Sheppard said: " It was awful. My three-year-old woke and was so frightened. She had such bad dreams then.

"It sounded like bombs going off."

Another resident said: "Dogs were terrified. Fireworks in these conditions is moronic behaviour with grass fires already in abundance .

"What ridiculous inconsiderate behaviour."

A number of people contacted Gwent Police about the incident.

A spokeswoman for the force said: "In the early hours of July 23 we received reports of fireworks being let off on at a premises on the Wern Industrial Estate in Newport.

"We have been made aware the fireworks were part of a local charity event.

"Officers will be making contact with those concerned to ensure they are aware of the legal curfew times for setting off fireworks."

Newport City Council also received complaints relating to the fireworks.

A spokeswoman said: "The council has contacted the business concerned however the law relating to the times fireworks can be set off can only be enforced by the Police.

"However the council would remind residents to be careful not to cause a noise nuisance to their neighbours with unreasonable use of fireworks.

"The council would also advise members of the public to speak to their neighbours before using fireworks as this can avoid complaints and will allow pet owners to make preparations for their animals."

A spokesman for Tiny Rebel said: "We’d like to sincerely apologise for all inconvenience caused. We totally understand and are extremely disappointed that this happened.

"The Brewery Bar was hired by a charity for a fundraising event and they organised the fireworks independently. They were not set off from the Brewery Bar property, but they were part of the event held here.

"We’re currently investigating with the assistance of our bar team and the event organisers."

A statement released by the charity who held the event, the Repatriation Services Trust (REST) said: "We recognise that fireworks at the end of the evening has upset many local residents.

"The fireworks were booked and controlled by REST, and the three minute firework display was originally booked for 10pm.

"However, we decided to start the display after the band had finished and the bar had closed, which we recognise was ill-judged.

"REST takes full responsibility for this and can't apologise enough to the community in and around Rogerstone for the inconvenience and distress caused.

"Please accept our most sincere apologies. We thank you for bringing the matter to our attention and we'll certainly learn from our error."