A DRUG dealer who profited by £42,000 from peddling amphetamine was ordered to repay £1,000 and made the subject of a five-year Serious Crime Prevention Order (SCPO).

Steven Marchant, from Newport, was jailed for more than four years at Cardiff Crown Court last September.

The 47-year-old, of Albert Avenue, had earlier admitted possessing a class B drug with the intent to supply.

A Proceeds of Crime Act case, also held at Cardiff Crown Court, heard how Marchant had benefitted to the tune of £42,000 from his drug dealing which was made up of £41,000 in cash and from a motorbike worth £1,000.

Judge Neil Bidder QC heard the defendant only had £1,000 in available assets and he made a confiscation order against him for that sum.

Marchant must pay that figure within three months or face more jail time.

The prosecutor was Nik Strobl and the defendant was represented by his barrister Gareth Williams.

Marchant was caught after police executed a drugs warrant at an address in Newport’s Hendre Farm Drive.

He was arrested five days after the raid which had taken place on Friday, June 8 when officers unearthed 39kg of amphetamine.

A Gwent Police spokesperson said: “On Wednesday, 13th June 2018, Marchant was arrested at Bristol Airport on suspicion of possessing class B controlled drugs with the intent to supply it to others.

“Marchant admitted ownership of the drugs during interview and pleaded guilty.”

At Cardiff Crown Court, Judge T M Hughes QC jailed the defendant for four years and six months.

Marchant was also made the subject of a five-year SCPO to control his behaviour when he is released from prison.

Judge Bidder said: “He was convicted of a serious offence and has a previous drugs trafficking conviction on his record.”

SCPOs are civil orders which typically restrict the subject's access to communications devices and bank accounts and specify who he or she cannot associate with and whether they can travel.

The judge warned him: “If you breach this order, you are liable to five years’ imprisonment.”

The court was told Marchant intends to work at a pub run by his family after he leaves jail.