A TRAGIC scene enacted on a raft at sea after the torpedoing of an oil ship was described at the Board of Trade inquiry into the loss of the steamship Eypion, of London, and some of her crew off the west coast of Ireland.

The Eupion was carrying petroleum, which caught fire after the explosion so that the vessel went down in flames.

MORE NEWS: Anger as Beechwood House in Newport is target of lead theft for fifth time

The Germans, taking no notice of the crew struggling, in the water, occupied themselves in taking photographs of the scene.

The allegation was made against the chief engineer and the second engineer,w ho were in command of the only lifeboat that got away, that they could have successfully rescued other men who were on a raft.

It was said, however, by those in the lifeboat that they were menaced by the submarine, and were ordered away.

The captain was one of eight men who got on the raft.

He saw a German on the submarine taking a photograph, while others were getting ready a 4-inch gun, which was pointed at the lifeboat and the raft. In his opinion it was possible for the lifeboat to have been pulled og the raft.

There were no lights and only two oars on the raft, and those who reached it were mostly in an exhausted condition. The carpenter collapsed during the night. At daybreak the witness tried to rouse the second officer to take a turn at the oar and found he was dead.

A Spaniard went mad, and tried to put the other men off the raft and eventually jumped into the sea.

Soon afterwards Halter, who was an operator, died, as did others. Walking down the side of the vessel as it turned over, he plunged into the sea and struck out for the raft.

MORE NEWS: Plans to turn Ebbw Vale's Festival Park into leisure destination as site is sold

Death of Mr P.G. Gale: Newport's veteran schoolmaster.

The pupils of Maindee School, and a larger circle of friends will learn with regret of the death of Mr P.G. Gale, Newport's oldest schoolmaster, which took place on Saturday morning.

Mr Gale had been ill fo rsome time and the sad event was not unexpected. He was in his 75th year and was, we understand, headmaster for 41 years, having been appointed shortly after the first school was built.

He believed thoroughly in maintaining the athletic side of education and was the founder of the Schools Football League, from which the town recruited some of its best players.

The occasion was marked by a public of testimonial from past scholars many of whom had attained to eminent position in the town and in all parts of the world.

The news of his death will be received with widespread regret. He leaves a widow, one son and three daughters (one of whom followed her father's profession).

MORE NEWS: It's now football, not rugby, putting Rodney Parade on the map

Railway Strike.

The Executive Committee of the N.U.R. have despatched a communication to the London branches, instructing the men to return to work immediately as early this morning a settlement was reached in connection with the Tube Railway strike.

The railways affected are the Metropolitan District, London Electric, Central London and City and South London.

The circular says the underground train men are to be booked on for eight hours work.

Negotiations are currently pending.